You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

We got 23 million for Brewster who had far less pedigree in the top flight.

Yep. Without COVID you could probably throw an extra £10m on top of Abraham’s fee, too. It seems perfectly reasonable in the context of the preposterous modern day transfer market to me.

You’d certainly be hard pressed to argue he isn’t a better prospect than Andy Carroll was when we paid a similar amount just over a decade ago.

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

Lemar eventually made the grade didn’t he ? Wasn’t he a starter for Athletico last year ?

Yeah, but he's not a great player like he could have been. I thought we could sign him and play him in a midfield 3 as a Coutinho replacement and he'd be great. Instead, he stayed as a left mid in a 4-4-2 and he's been decent at best. Simeone did start to like him last season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep. Without COVID you could probably throw an extra £10m on top of Abraham’s fee, too. It seems perfectly reasonable in the context of the preposterous modern day transfer market to me.

You’d certainly be hard pressed to argue he isn’t a better prospect than Andy Carroll was when we paid a similar amount just over a decade ago.

True but everyone thought the Carroll fee was inflated - for reasons we could bore on about. There's also no reason for foreign clubs to pay the English tax. I'd have thought there'd be better value in the current market but maybe Abraham hasn't been managed properly.

40 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

True but everyone thought the Carroll fee was inflated - for reasons we could bore on about. There's also no reason for foreign clubs to pay the English tax. I'd have thought there'd be better value in the current market but maybe Abraham hasn't been managed properly.

He has scored at every level he has played - I would have him for that fee.

As proven as Calvert Lewin (year younger) and the fee for him would be one and a half times that.

• Upvote 1

Ideally our starting three don't pick up too many injuries, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain stay fit and find some form, and Harvey Elliott excells when he gets a chance in midfield. Not sure how realistic that is though.

Think we should have shifted Keita and brought someone to really challenge for a starting spot. Still time I guess.