You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

15 hours ago, m0e said:

Updated with more accuracy around positions:

Screenshot 2021-08-07 at 20.15.35.png

Is this quite a "selective" list?  At a glance it looks like you may have left in some of our crap players but left them out of others, i e. Drinkwater at Chelsea.  And put in our "high hopes" but left them out of others, i.e. Elliot for us but no Chong at Man Utd.  That's just at a glance, will there be more on further digging?

Our midfield appears fucked, we literally have one first choice you could say we can rely upon, Fabinho, and even he isn't indestructible. Every other midfielder in our squad has a big question mark one way or the other.  That is a problem that can't be airbrushed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

If you wanted to buy an English player or two to help with the homegrown quota, who would you go for that was gettable and good?

I doubt Leicester would sell him for anything reasonable and, being left-sided, probably not exactly what we need but I think Harvey Barnes is good. Plus we have a storied tradition of left-sided attackers called Barnes...

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

Is this quite a "selective" list?  At a glance it looks like you may have left in some of our crap players but left them out of others, i e. Drinkwater at Chelsea.  And put in our "high hopes" but left them out of others, i.e. Elliot for us but no Chong at Man Utd.  That's just at a glance, will there be more on further digging?

Our midfield appears fucked, we literally have one first choice you could say we can rely upon, Fabinho, and even he isn't indestructible. Every other midfielder in our squad has a big question mark one way or the other.  That is a problem that can't be airbrushed.

Tahith Chong started for Birmingham City last night. When did Drinkwater last start for Chelsea? I’m sure @m0e wouldn’t mind adding Drinkwater to the list, but not sure how that would help you make your case here.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

You may be able to keep a very close eye on him as Spurs are repotted to be trying to get him this window.

Yeah, I've since seen the links for him returning to Spurs.

I do wonder how much of a budget Spurs do actually have this season - before any potential sale of Kane.

Lamela plus cash for Bryan Gil, Gollini in on loan and now the Cristian Romero deal turns out to be a season loan with a fixed fee option to buy.

Still, Madueke is someone that I will keep an eye on for my own interest at least.

I think we'll bring another player in but not two, probably a forward and Bowen would seem the one with the most legs.

It's disheartening, but not surprising, that despite our success the last few years our buying policy has not changed and we can't get a sniff of some of these hugely exciting younger prospects, for example Sancho, Haaland, Bellingham.  I know the latter two haven't moved yet but we all know deep down they won't be coming here.

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Tahith Chong started for Birmingham City last night. When did Drinkwater last start for Chelsea? I’m sure @m0e wouldn’t mind adding Drinkwater to the list, but not sure how that would help you make your case here.

Chong was playing for Man Utd in pre season until very recently, but I can see he's now gone on loan.  The same might happen to Elliot if we bring another forward in.

The only case I'm trying to make is to question how selective the list is.  If it's not, fine, our list of midfielders speaks for itself anyway and it's not good.

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

If you wanted to buy an English player or two to help with the homegrown quota, who would you go for that was gettable and good?

Just looking at a forward and a midfielder that we need:

Already mentioned by Dynamite in the thread - Noni Madueke. Dortmund were rumoured to be looking at him as a replacement for Sancho.

Jude Bellingham, he's going to be brilliant, but he will be very expensive.

Todd Cantwell? He looked good a couple of seasons ago, and it will be interesting to see if he's developed further. Good but maybe not gettable as Norwich probably won't sell for a reasonable price.

Maybe Ronaldo Viera, who used to play for Leeds. He's Portuguese, but played for England U21s, but should be gettable and affordable. Not sure he would bring enough quality, though.

Bellingham is the one of the three that isn't reasonably gettable, unless we sell one of our valuable players.

12 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Yeah, I've since seen the links for him returning to Spurs.

I do wonder how much of a budget Spurs do actually have this season - before any potential sale of Kane.

Lamela plus cash for Bryan Gil, Gollini in on loan and now the Cristian Romero deal turns out to be a season loan with a fixed fee option to buy.

Still, Madueke is someone that I will keep an eye on for my own interest at least.

There are some hints on their forums that they’ve secured a source of funding from somewhere which is powering their transfer business without Kane’s sale. Stadium naming rights, perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

There are some hints on their forums that they’ve secured a source of funding from somewhere which is powering their transfer business without Kane’s sale. Stadium naming rights, perhaps?

Possibly. Makes the most sense, especially after them posting big losses last year.

We’re not looking to buy Lautro Martinez. We want to find the next Lautro Martinez. So we can aggressively monitor them until they become the next Lautro Martinez and somebody else buys them. Then we’ll move onto looking for the next, next Lautro Martinez.

Will be genuinely surprised if we have any more incomings. I can’t even muster the enthusiasm to post ‘buy somebody, you cunts’ on the FSG thread.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Clicking on that link doesn't open the article but the full website of times. Most likely fake.

Gary Jacob is a Times journo.

Had a quick check on Arsenal Mania. They are not pleased with this development.

29 minutes ago, Moo said:

Chong was playing for Man Utd in pre season until very recently, but I can see he's now gone on loan.  The same might happen to Elliot if we bring another forward in.

The only case I'm trying to make is to question how selective the list is.  If it's not, fine, our list of midfielders speaks for itself anyway and it's not good.

I'm not even sure where to start with this...

Updated Squads, to show players linked with moves away (in grey) and most importantly to include Drinkwater in Chelsea's squad, because I criminally left him out the original list.

Also, please note, these lists do not include youth players who have either never played for the club, or are currently on loan at other another club, thus rendering them unavailable for the upcoming season.

A final note - when players do end up leaving, the list will be updated.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 12.57.18.png

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Spurs took out a loan of around 175 million last summer and, if the Martinez rumours are true, are likely doing a Villa with Martinez and Romero coming in knowing a deal is agreed or likely to be agreed for Kane.

They can’t use the £175m for transfers. I think it’s only for operating costs.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Updated Squads, to show players linked with moves away (in grey) and most importantly to include Drinkwater in Chelsea's squad, because I criminally left him out the original list.

Also, please note, these lists do not include youth players who have either never played for the club, or are currently on loan at other another club, thus rendering them unavailable for the upcoming season.

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 12.45.22.png

There’s a lot of 3 months out injury worries in our midfield

19 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Clicking on that link doesn't open the article but the full website of times. Most likely fake.

Could read it when I posted it. Anyway, deal agreed for £60m rising to £72 on trophies etc, so £60m then.

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Screenshot 2021-08-08 at 12.45.22.png

Thanks.

Our midfield options are still poor. If we don't replace Wijnaldum then I expect last season's defensive crisis will be echoed in midfield next season, injury prone with injury prone and / or not good enough replacements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Drinkwater was left out of the squad last year - there is no chance he makes it this year.

Correct - Chong is on loan this coming season.