You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

27 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

People are so desperate for transfer news that we are quoting indykaila's posts here now.

Desperate times, desperate measures!

At least it stops talking about net spend or whatever and sort of gets the thread back on track-ish. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I would

Jones future is in the midfield 3 and he has a great shot at breaking into it next year. 

If he was loaned to fill the Grealish sized hole, was guaranteed X minutes (I believe we instead this sort of penalty clauses into loan contracts) and he’s able to mature quicker with these extra minutes, I’m not against it.

We need to bring somebody else in, or at least have something else planned, before I’d consider it though.

I wouldn’t entertain a loan to buy either. 

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

I've never noticed Bowen but like Jota, if the club decide he's what we need then so be it. He won't be cheap either so it's not down to penny pinching. 

I’m kind of this opinion as well. He’d also contribute more than Shaq, Origi and Minamino, although that bar is incredibly low.  

However, I also think we could do better for the c.£35m or whatever - Who that other player is, I’ve no idea 

It’s strange really. Nobody was complaining about the Jota signing despite nobody really knowing much about him. 

Is it because Bowen is English? Would more pulses be racing if we wanted Brazilian Felipe Anderson, who WHU have just bombed out somewhere? 

Overall, I’m on the fence. My blood pressure won’t be racing either way. 

30 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Stuff like this worries me more than us not signing anyone. It's giving me flashbacks to the summer of Benteke.

It’s nothing like signing Benteke. Rodgers insisted on signing him but had no idea how to utilise him in the way he wanted his team to play. At least Bowen has attributes that with a fair bit of polish could see him be at least a better option than Origi. He might not ever make the step up to our level but at least there’s a logic in signing him. 

48 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

It’s nothing like signing Benteke. Rodgers insisted on signing him but had no idea how to utilise him in the way he wanted his team to play. At least Bowen has attributes that with a fair bit of polish could see him be at least a better option than Origi. He might not ever make the step up to our level but at least there’s a logic in signing him. 

"A better option than Origi" will mark the gravestones of many a transfer turd. That positively subterranean bar is fine for cheap punts like Minamino or Shaqiri, but on £30-40m players it's not. Especially when that's likely the only addition we'll be making in that position.

As I say, it reminds me of the summer of Benteke, in that the links surface slowly, and they're met by the five stages of transfer grief. "A better option than Origi" is the bargaining stage.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

"A better option than Origi" will mark the gravestones of many a transfer turd. That positively subterranean bar is fine for cheap punts like Minamino or Shaqiri, but on £30-40m players it's not. Especially when that's likely the only addition we'll be making in that position.

As I say, it reminds me of the summer of Benteke, in that the links surface slowly, and they're met by the five stages of transfer grief. "A better option than Origi" is the bargaining stage.

I was going to go with a less polished Dirk Kuyt but I don’t want to put too much pressure on the lad.

• Upvote 1

Good pace but not lightning quick. He seems incredibly one-footed. My early verdict is he’d make a good squad player, and you’d rather him in the team than Origi or Minamino to cover for Salah during AFCON. Not the most inspiring of signings though.

22 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

If he had bronze skin, with luscious flowing hair, a strong jawline and perfect cheekbones, you'd be all over him.

Does the potential marketability of our players based on sexual attractiveness mean absolutely nothing to you? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, an tha said:

What is the fucking point of loaning Davies out...

He has never played for us even when we had literally no proper centre halves fit, he is never likely to play for us...so just sell him.

Probably hoping his value will go up by playing out on loan. Rinse as much as we can.