You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

This Mbappe link is so stupid and has been rumbling on for so long that it's beginning to wind me up. In what world could we afford to buy Mbappe? Even if we had the money, there's no chance he'd even come here. He'll only leave for a Barca or Real. And they are even less able to afford him than we are. I have no idea where this rumour sprang from but it's the most absurd transfer we've been linked to in years!

31 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Harry Kane vs Daniel Levy. Kane is fucked.

Has he ever actually stopped a player moving on though? Modric and Bale went in the end. 

All this charade will do is increase whatever price City will have to pay for him at the end of August, probably up to £130m or something equally ridiculous.

They surely can’t do a cash plus player/s deal either, as what City player in their right mind would sign for Spurs? 

26 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Bit weird this didnt he sign a 6yr deal surely it would have included a release clause or why sign the contract

Like everybody, he likely didn’t foresee a global pandemic and would have assumed he’d have significantly more suitors.

36 minutes ago, Baltar said:

This Mbappe link is so stupid and has been rumbling on for so long that it's beginning to wind me up. In what world could we afford to buy Mbappe? Even if we had the money, there's no chance he'd even come here. He'll only leave for a Barca or Real. And they are even less able to afford him than we are. I have no idea where this rumour sprang from but it's the most absurd transfer we've been linked to in years!

Well what happens in the scenario that I’ve created in my head is that we sell Mo’ next season for whatever we can get then transfer those funds straight in to Mbappe’s savers account and pay him Mo’s wage plus a £50k premium with the promise we will sell him for an extortionate amount in three years. Then Margot Robbie and a reanimated young Barbara Windsor finish me off.

• Upvote 1

Gonna be annoying not signing a couple of attackers because we couldn’t get origi & minamino out first or Ox being the no 9 we’ve been searching for.

We were pathetic as an attacking force last year, especially on that home run & this lead to the defence coming under extra pressure once we’d gave up after 70 minutes and us ending up losing the game.

Let’s not forget that Konate is Lovrens replacement. 

Strengthen the squad you fucking minge bags. The squads got weaker since we won the CL.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Has he ever actually stopped a player moving on though? Modric and Bale went in the end. 

All this charade will do is increase whatever price City will have to pay for him at the end of August, probably up to £130m or something equally ridiculous.

They surely can’t do a cash plus player/s deal either, as what City player in their right mind would sign for Spurs? 

If Kane goes it won’t be on his own or City’s terms, it’ll be on Levy’s.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It doesn't seem like any clubs are willing to pay the transfer fee we want and if Lille are skint they aren't going to be able to afford a decent replacement, so this could be a good move for both teams.

But what if they've seen him play in the last couple of years?

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Gonna be annoying not signing a couple of attackers because we couldn’t get origi & minamino out first or Ox being the no 9 we’ve been searching for.

We were pathetic as an attacking force last year, especially on that home run & this lead to the defence coming under extra pressure once we’d gave up after 70 minutes and us ending up losing the game.

Strengthen the squad you fucking minge bags. The squads got weaker since we won the CL.

It doesn't even have to be strengthened, as such. 

Even freshening it up will do. 

Mainly in the attacking areas. Origi, Shaqiri and, to a slightly lesser extent, Minamino all know that if a decent bid comes in then they'll be allowed to leave. We've got Jota and Elliott who could come in in the front 3 and be motivated to try and force their way into regular first team contention. Jota might even start. Elliott might still be a bit raw. But, then you're down to the first 3 I mentioned. If they need to play a run of games in the XI, there's every chance that they won't be motivated to put in a 100% performance as they know that their goose is cooked, no matter what happens. Even if they play well, they'll be unlikely to seize a place in the starting line up. I'd sooner get rid of these players and not even necessarily bring in players of a noticeably higher level. Just that bit of freshness, eagerness to prove themselves and hope of pushing for a starting position would be better than a lightweight Minamino performance or Origi just about going through the motions. 

I don't necessarily think we have those problems in other areas of the pitch. Wijnaldum missing from the midfield weakens us. But, I'm probably being naive, his absence also provides an opportunity for players who might still have a future at the club and who could push for a regular starting role. The likes of Keita and AOC, if they can get up to full fitness/speed and stay there (remember how good AOC looked before his injury in the CL?) or Curtis Jones, who could benefit from the chance of getting more minutes. For me, these players have a motivation that the attacking back-up options don't. I'd still like a new midfielder, but I think that refreshing the attacking options should be the priority. 

The problem with the forward signing is how much time can you give that player? If Firmino, Salah, Mané and Jota stay relatively fit this season, there's not much time for a new player. So you'd think if we're signing someone, it might have to be someone young enough who you can promise playing time later when one of Firmino, Mané or Salah go. As a successor of sorts before one of those 3 leaves and we're telling him to be more patient in the short term.

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

He’s wasted enough of his career at Spurs tbf.  He was pretty stupid taking Levy’s word that he could leave this year.

His agent is really to blame on that for me. The amount of money they take from players - how he’s advised his client that it was a good idea to sign for 6 years with a gentleman’s agreement for a get out clause is mad. 

47 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If Kane goes it won’t be on his own or City’s terms, it’ll be on Levy’s.

That’s true enough, but I think that realistically the only thing he has to play for is the size of the transfer fee, which doesn’t actually matter to City that much anyway. 

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

We were the best team in Europe when we won the CL, now we're in a battle to stay in the top four. 

This is exactly what happens when you stand still.

• Upvote 4

The thing that worries me is that we can’t afford to carry Firmino anymore whilst having back up who won’t get a look in no matter how bad he’s stinking up the pitch. 

Origi just couldn’t be arsed one bit last year as he knew no matter how well he’d play he’d be dropped or given 4 minutes to salvage something from the left wing in the next game.

I’m surprised Ox is still here, as last season it looked like him and Klopp had no time for each other and you could see how much he was fuming with Klopp when sitting on the bench. He was a perma sub for Arsenal and he’s got the same position here. If he starts, it’s nailed on he’s the first to be subbed and that’s no good for anyone if it continues. 

Minamino had a decent game against palace in a 7-0 away win then couldn’t get a look in again and was sent out on loan.

These 3 plus Naby have been here too long now and needed to be manoeuvred out the door when last season ended and replacements brought in.

The players who were effective for us - Gini & Shaq couldn’t have been treated with less respect, yet we’re holding onto the others who offer nothing to us at a cost of over £300k a week. Lallana was another high earner who was bizarrely treated like a hero but fucked us around for 5 years.

Juergen is defo the patron saint of lost causes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Red74 said:

The thing that worries me is that we can’t afford to carry Firmino anymore whilst having back up who won’t get a look in no matter how bad he’s stinking up the pitch. 

Origi just couldn’t be arsed one bit last year as he knew no matter how well he’d play he’d be dropped or given 4 minutes to salvage something from the left wing in the next game.

I’m surprised Ox is still here, as last season it looked like him and Klopp had no time for each other and you could see how much he was fuming with Klopp when sitting on the bench. He was a perma sub for Arsenal and he’s got the same position here. If he starts, it’s nailed on he’s the first to be subbed and that’s no good for anyone if it continues. 

Minamino had a decent game against palace in a 7-0 away win then couldn’t get a look in again and was sent out on loan.

These 3 plus Naby have been here too long now and needed to be manoeuvred out the door when last season ended and replacements brought in.

The players who were effective for us - Gini & Shaq couldn’t have been treated with less respect, yet we’re holding onto the others who offer nothing to us at a cost of over £300k a week. Lallana was another high earner who was bizarrely treated like a hero but fucked us around for 5 years.

Juergen is defo the patron saint of lost causes. 

Naby, Ox and Minamino are mid 20's so have time on their side. Shaq and Gini are 30, so don't. It's probably pretty much that simple.

Lallana was a nice guy and had no sale value so we kept and let his contract run out.

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Naby, Ox and Minamino are mid 20's so have time on their side. Shaq and Gini are 30, so don't. It's probably pretty much that simple.

Lallana was a nice guy and had no sale value so we kept and let his contract run out.

I’d rather have an ageing shaq & gini than the other 4

8 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’d rather have an ageing shaq & gini than the other 4

I agree that Minamino and one of Ox or Keita should go and be replaced but It's a squad age thing. If you keep Gini and Shaq and get rid of the others, you get older and our squad is already getting pretty old.