You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, angie said:

Trade deadline for Boston Red Sox was yesterday and FSG were cheap. They needed a 1st baseman and a pitcher and got nothing. It doesn’t fill me with optimism for us.

They made 2 trades on deadline to strengthen their bullpen and traded for Kyle Schwarber from the Nationals the day before the deadline to get a left-handed power bat.

3 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

They made 2 trades on deadline to strengthen their bullpen and traded for Kyle Schwarber from the Nationals the day before the deadline to get a left-handed power bat.

Gibberish.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

I’ll quote this tweet I saw by a sox reporter:

“A complete and total abdication of responsibility by chaim bloom, the head of baseball operations for the team with the third-best record in the majors. You needed a starting pitcher and a 1st baseman and added neither while everyone around you got better. Disgusting.” 
That’s all I’m going off tbh

This will never happen, but I really wish football fans cared more about wages, which are far more important to a club's finances and correlated with winning performance, than fees. I curse the day Football Manager, where fees and "war chests" dominate everything, was invented.

We've just given Trent a new contract, and yet people are on here moaning about how we haven't spent any money. We don't have details on his new deal but it's probably roughly the financial equivalent of signing a 30m player!

You can either lock down the likes of Trent and Alisson to new deals, or you can sell them and then spend the fees on shiny new players. Which one leads to success and trophies? The first one. Which one of those leads to happy fans in the summertime? The second one! Just ask Everton, who "win the transfer season" every summer and then go on to win nothing in the actual season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This will never happen, but I really wish football fans cared more about wages, which are far more important to a club's finances and correlated with winning performance, than fees. I curse the day Football Manager, where fees and "war chests" dominate everything, was invented.

We've just given Trent a new contract, and yet people are on here moaning about how we haven't spent any money. We don't have details on his new deal but it's probably roughly the financial equivalent of signing a 30m player!

You can either lock down the likes of Trent and Alisson to new deals, or you can sell them and then spend the fees on shiny new players. Which one leads to success and trophies? The first one. Which one of those leads to happy fans in the summertime? The second one! Just ask Everton, who "win the transfer season" every summer and then go on to win nothing in the actual season.

The most ambitious owners do both.

1 minute ago, angie said:

I’ll quote this tweet I saw by a sox reporter:

“A complete and total abdication of responsibility by chaim bloom, the head of baseball operations for the team with the third-best record in the majors. You needed a starting pitcher and a 1st baseman and added neither while everyone around you got better. Disgusting.” 
That’s all I’m going off tbh

They've got one of the best starting pitchers in baseball due back from injury in the coming weeks, so the requirement for another starting pitcher probably wasn't so high on their want list. They have a good rotation that will be strengthened when Chris Sale returns from injury - he's currently on a rehab assignment following a lengthy injury. (Pretty much the equivalent of Virgil for us. Just makes the team so much stronger and was out for months with a serious injury).

Of the starting pitchers that were traded on deadline day, the returns were huge in regard to prospects heading the other way. The Red Sox farm system doesn't have the greatest depth at the moment, so it's extremely hard for them to provide prospects to entice top-end trades with other teams.

Max Scherzer went to the Dodgers who had to send 2 of their top prospects to the Nationals in return. (This trade ended up being the biggest on deadline day). Scherzer is only a rental, so becomes a free agent at the end of this season. Plus, there's no one that can compete with the Dodgers in terms of finance and/or prospect depth.

The Blue Jays got Jose Berrios from the Twins, but had to send 2 of their top 4 prospects the other way in return. Both of these prospects are top 100 prospects in all of baseball and are now the 2nd & 3rd best prospects in the Twins' organisation. 

As for the need at first base. The Red Sox are currently playing one of their previously top rated prospects at first base. Granted he has struggled this season, but they also have another top first base prospect waiting in the wings should Dalbec continue to struggle. 

The Red Sox had been linked with a trade for Anthony Rizzo from the Cubs, who did end up moving to the Yankees instead. It wasn't the biggest return for the Cubs, but it still needed one of the Yankees top 10 prospects in return.

• Upvote 1

Currently the 6th highest payroll in baseball and just over the luxury tax threshold, so they are paying 20% on top of that overspend.

As things stand now, they'll have the 5th highest payroll next year and will just dip under the luxury tax threshold.

Spotrac - 2021 salary breakdown

Spotrac - 2022 salary breakdown

The figures for 2022 are incomplete as there are a good number of players that will go through salary arbitration in the offseason.

43 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

City are signing Grealish and probably Kane for north of £200m, but they've given a new contract to De Bruyne and Fernandinho and are reported to be preparing new deals for Sterling, Ederson and Stones. So tell me more about the difficult choice between extending contracts and signing new players.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let’s not mention the five important players who’ve two years left and the one that’s walked on a free and doesn’t look like he’ll be replaced.

The great bunch of lads handed out a new contract to Trent though so let’s all suck them off for another year.

To think some people actually think Rafa could work under these owners.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

City are signing Grealish and probably Kane for north of £200m, but they've given a new contract to De Bruyne and Fernandinho and are reported to be preparing new deals for Sterling, Ederson and Stones. So tell me more about the difficult choice between extending contracts and signing new players.

Tell us more about the City owners almost bottomless pit of money to throw at it. It's easy to do both when you're not self sufficient and reliant on usual business models.

Not sticking up for our owners but it's silly season to start comparing how they do business to how we (and other clubs) do. 

• Upvote 3