You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

10 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

"Investing from a position of strength" doesn't mean "Spending more when you're successful than you did before," does it?

I take it to mean that you keep refreshing and attempting to improve a successful side. Some might say we've attempted to do that (successfully or otherwise). Others will say we haven't (rightly or wrongly).

I don't think we've done enough recently, personally. But let's see how next season goes. 

Spot on.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what it means, really. It's some vague phrase that people have started saying since we've started winning things.

Maybe if you're young it seems like a new phrase. For those of us old enough to remember our period of dominance, it was as very familiar phrase. Then we went on to watch the team from Salford do the same. No players in the window after winning the European cup - while selling a keeper and replacing him with a freebie. Just a throw away cheap exit clauses flipper the next window. Then 3 players the following window, but only after letting primary targets go. The window after that when we literally had no centre backs, was a lad signed to be flipped who'd never played and another lad we never wanted but at least he cost us fuck all. We are buying like a team in survival mode. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, General Dryness said:

It means that once you have a strong squad, you make one or two marquee signings every summer to keep things fresh rather than just flogging the same group of players to death season after season and relying on kids to make up the numbers.

It's not a new idea. Utd spent the entire 90s-00s doing it. Van Nistelrooy, Stam, Veron, Barthez, Cole, Van Persie etc.

Liverpool have been doing pretty much this since Klopp arrived bar his fourth season, no?

First (proper) season: Mane, Gini, Matip

Second season: Virgil, Salah, Robbo

Third season: Keita, Fabinho, Alisson

Fourth season: shite

Fifth season: Jota, Thiago

Sixth season: Konate, ??

• Upvote 3

One impending problem I suspect we may have with FSG is they were ahead of the curve on data analytics in English football, especially in relation to transfers. The mitigation it’s provided to our lower level of expenditure compared with the handful of teams we’re trying to compete with for trophies might well decline, as other clubs gradually improve on that front too. 

Bit like how Wenger had an initial period where his nutritional set-up was hugely advanced compared to the rest of English football and provided them some salad years - Toby Maguire gif - but eventually it just became the overall culture, so his advantages in that area became watered down. 

All very well being the smartest men in the room, but other rich men will soon copy/harvest bits from your model if it’s showing signs of success. The profile of player United are signing now versus in the early years post-Taggart being a case in point, managerial titan though Rice Krispy undoubtedly is.

24 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Think this is now the 10th anniversary of summer transfer threads of us critiquing FSG.

In these difficult and, often, scary times, it's nice to know that there are constants.

As in they have been constantly shite over the duration. It will be very interesting indeed when Jurgen moves on.

Not for the first time, this round of debate is incredibly tedious. 

Lots of posters have their opinions. Others of us rely on facts. I don’t know others peoples jobs but I know aRdja and I work in finance, so maybe that means we take a more pragmatic view.

I can’t be bothered going over this again. I’ve better things to do, like anything. 

For those who wish to upskill themselves, our revenues are here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/251158/revenue-of-liverpool-fc-by-stream/

An article on our wages and transfers is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51570705

All ins and outs of transfers can be found here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/startseite/verein/31

I’m sure a full lists of accounts are available on the official website or are Googleable.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Liverpool have been doing pretty much this since Klopp arrived bar his fourth season, no?

I love that you added Keita there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Matip was free, Robbo cost peanuts. Gini was a bargain by the standards of the last 6 years. Thiago we got at a knockdown price as his contract was nearly up. In fact the only two on that list I would describe as massive signings (at the time of signing, not in terms of what they went on to achieve) are Virgil and Alisson.

So to answer your question, no. 

• Downvote 1

I'd sell Salah, from a sell to buy perspective, but also from a freshness perspective.  There's no doubt that Salah today is inferior to first season Salah.  A lot of that will be down to him being less motivated.  That's just natural though, and I wish sometimes we'd factor that into these things.  

The natural flow of things is important, players want new challenges. 

The only problem is a buying club offering the sort of money that tempts us, and with Mbappe still on the market it's not an ideal situation, as his suitors would be Salah's suitors.  

23 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Not for the first time, this round of debate is incredibly tedious. 

Lots of posters have their opinions. Others of us rely on facts. I don’t know others peoples jobs but I know aRdja and I work in finance, so maybe that means we take a more pragmatic view.

I can’t be bothered going over this again. I’ve better things to do, like anything. 

For those who wish to upskill themselves, our revenues are here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/251158/revenue-of-liverpool-fc-by-stream/

An article on our wages and transfers is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51570705

All ins and outs of transfers can be found here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/startseite/verein/31

I’m sure a full lists of accounts are available on the official website or are Googleable.

giphy.gif

Salah is our Aguero in terms of goals return and had just come off back of his 2nd best of his 4 seasons for us on the goal scoring front.

In my view we should 100% keep him and continue to build an attack around him.

I'd like to see him stay with us in way Aguero stayed with the cheats.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Matip was free, Robbo cost peanuts. Gini was a bargain by the standards of the last 6 years. Thiago we got at a knockdown price as his contract was nearly up. In fact the only two on that list I would describe as massive signings (at the time of signing, not in terms of what they went on to achieve) are Virgil and Alisson.

So if we’d have spent more, we’d have ended up with better players?

And this is the crux of the argument where all those complaining fall down. 

We can all go on about spending more money and blah blah blah and we’d all have a point if we didn’t have a successful team.

But we do. 

So everything else is just white noise and complaining for complaining sake.

Unfortunately, nothing will ever be perfect and ran 100% satisfactory to 100% of the fan bases opinions. But what we have at the moment is the best it’s been in decade and should be revered, not picking holes in it. 

Anyways, I look forward to some more ninja like negs from you. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Fantastic news.

“Payroll Journalist” makes potentially positive comment and it’s mocked & dismissed. 

“Payroll Journalist” makes potentially negative comment and panic buttons are repeatedly mashed. 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

They’re all good first team players and that’s okay no? It shouldn’t have to be expensive for a signing to be good. If anything we’ve proven that with the likes of Gini, Mane and Robbo.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

We could really do with some transfers involving players we have sell on clauses with - Luis Alberto, Ryan Kent, Danny Ward, Danny Ings. I've given up on us getting the final £17m for Coutinho.

Gonna have to make this a bit snappier if you want to get on The Echo payroll.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

They’re all good first team players and that’s okay no? It shouldn’t have to be expensive for a signing to be good. If anything we’ve proven that with the likes of Gini, Mane and Robbo.

Keita at >£50m wasn't a major signing apparently. His output since we signed him is an irrelevance.

Fabinho at c.£40m wasn't a major signing either. 

Mane & Salah at c.£35m each weren't major signings.

Jota at c.£40m wasn't a major signing.

Just imagine how much better we could be if we'd have spent some real money on players.

• Upvote 1