You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You really want to go down the net spend route? 

That’s up to you and if you want it argue with facts, because if we stick to the facts,  I’m right. 

I’ll take a head start - Coutinho buying VVD & Alisson doesn’t account for the above 2 players or Shaqiri. 

Also, our sales last summer don’t match what we paid for Jota, Thiago & Tsmiskas. There is at least a c.£20m gap. 

But, anyhoo, if you want to take this further, be my guest. 

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That’s up to you and if you want it argue with facts, because if we stick to the facts,  I’m right. 

I’ll take a head start - Coutinho buying VVD & Alisson doesn’t account for the above 2 players or Shaqiri. 

Also, our sales last summer don’t match what we paid for Jota, Thiago & Tsmiskas. There is at least a c.£20m gap. 

But, anyhoo, if you want to take this further, be my guest. 

Less than £25m a year under the owners, you think that’s great - good for you. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Less than £25m a year under the owners, you think that’s great - good for you. 

So we have a spent more than we’ve sold, while winning the fucking lot?

Our outlay to income was higher when we were less successful earlier in FSG’s ownership.

I view transfers like I view my salary. Would I like more? Of course. Can I make the most out of what I have? Yes.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

So we have a spent more than we’ve sold, while winning the fucking lot?

Our outlay to income was higher when we were less successful earlier in FSG’s ownership.

I view transfers like I view my salary. Would I like more? Of course. Can I make the most out of what I have? Yes.

We’ve won the big two and the league cup. 

I’d have liked to see us kick on after winning the big two, invest from a position of strength.

I’d like to continue winning trophies rather than just finishing top 4. 

But our owners wanted to spend as little as possible and are now leaking that wages are ‘spiralling out of control’ because they had to pay the incentive contracts they insist on. 

• Upvote 4

Does anyone actually invest from a position of strength? People keep saying this as if it's some genius and common concept, yet I'm pretty sure clubs tend to invest more at the beginning of a manager's time or when they're shit and falling behind. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Does anyone actually invest from a position of strength? People keep saying this as if it's some genius and common concept, yet I'm pretty sure clubs tend to invest more at the beginning of a manager's time or when they're shit and falling behind. 

The most successful clubs always have. 

• Upvote 3

Ugh, this argument is SO tiresome.

It always comes down to this: there are two types of successful owners.

One, those who spend ill-gotten gains (oil money, usually) on buying up all the best players in the world. We all agree that these are unfair and against the spirit of the game, but it is what it is.

Two, those who work to develop the club's commercial power and then spend what the club makes. Maybe invest a bit more than that as the club appreciates, but mostly just work to develop good systems to buy better than your opponents do and reap the rewards.

Then, of course, there's a bunch of mediocre and bad owners who are on a spectrum from Hicks & Gillett (make as much money as the club can give me, don't care about the wins/losses) to sort of OK, but we won't discuss these as no one would want an owner like them.

We have this argument over and over. "Why don't FSG spend more?" but at the same time, the exact people who say that are also posting "it's a shame what Dubai is doing over at City, ruining the game and FFP with their billions they've made off oppressing slaves."

FSG are literally probably the best owners in the second category in the world. They've hired the best manager in the world, built the best recruitment department in the world, and we're actually managing to compete with City and United despite having a much smaller budget. I would suggest that if you would prefer owners in the first category who will sugar-daddy the club to trophies galore, that you don't understand the club at all, but honestly, I'm tired of it. Anyone is welcome to their opinion, but we have what we have, and that's why a pandemic affects our ability to spend more than it does for City or Chelsea or PSG.

• Upvote 5

Real Madrid won the Champions League in 15-16, proceeded to have two windows with negative net spend, the 17-18 one massively so, and won two more Champions Leagues. That's not investing from a position of strength at all and they're one of the richest clubs in the world.

They then sold Ronaldo and spent again to replace him and start another project. Pretty sure thats what usually happens. Not this supposedly very obvious "invest from a position of strength" thing.

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Ugh, this argument is SO tiresome.

It always comes down to this: there are two types of successful owners.

One, those who spend ill-gotten gains (oil money, usually) on buying up all the best players in the world. We all agree that these are unfair and against the spirit of the game, but it is what it is.

Two, those who work to develop the club's commercial power and then spend what the club makes. Maybe invest a bit more than that as the club appreciates, but mostly just work to develop good systems to buy better than your opponents do and reap the rewards.

Then, of course, there's a bunch of mediocre and bad owners who are on a spectrum from Hicks & Gillett (make as much money as the club can give me, don't care about the wins/losses) to sort of OK, but we won't discuss these as no one would want an owner like them.

We have this argument over and over. "Why don't FSG spend more?" but at the same time, the exact people who say that are also posting "it's a shame what Dubai is doing over at City, ruining the game and FFP with their billions they've made off oppressing slaves."

FSG are literally probably the best owners in the second category in the world. They've hired the best manager in the world, built the best recruitment department in the world, and we're actually managing to compete with City and United despite having a much smaller budget. I would suggest that if you would prefer owners in the first category who will sugar-daddy the club to trophies galore, that you don't understand the club at all, but honestly, I'm tired of it. Anyone is welcome to their opinion, but we have what we have, and that's why a pandemic affects our ability to spend more than it does for City or Chelsea or PSG.

Ben White is about to do some heavy lifting.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Been rumours that we've been trying to flog him but no solid links to any club. 

I think that has all been triggered though because Williams has told the club he wants 1st team football. The thing that genuinely surprises me, is I'm guessing Williams thinks someone would pay 10m for him. I just don't think he's done enough to warrant that sort of fee, it's the kind of fee we've got for grujic and it would seem now Wilson and they have pretty decent loan years behind them - and Wilson has a pretty decent goal record for his position. I wouldn't be shocked to see Williams still here next season, unless of course the club have agreed to loan him out if nobody is willing to pay the asking price. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Us, the mancs, Chelsea, city, Milan, Barca…

If you can show me that those clubs invested more in summers after winning titles than before, I'll agree with you. I doubt it, though.

I gave an example on the page of a club that didn't.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you can show me that those clubs invested more in summers after winning titles than before, I'll agree with you. I doubt it, though.

"Investing from a position of strength" doesn't mean "Spending more when you're successful than you did before," does it?

I take it to mean that you keep refreshing and attempting to improve a successful side. Some might say we've attempted to do that (successfully or otherwise). Others will say we haven't (rightly or wrongly).

I don't think we've done enough recently, personally. But let's see how next season goes. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

"Investing from a position of strength" doesn't mean "Spending more when you're successful than you did before," does it?

I take it to mean that you keep refreshing and attempting to improve a successful side. Some might say we've attempted to do that (successfully or otherwise). Others will say we haven't (rightly or wrongly).

I don't think we've done enough recently, personally. But let's see how next season goes. 

I don't know what it means, really. It's some vague phrase that people have started saying since we've started winning things.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what it means, really. It's some vague phrase that people have started saying since we've started winning things.

Not really, it's a phrase people have used for ages.  In the 80s, it was known that Liverpool strengthened each summer - you're one of the best teams in the land, therefore in a position to attract the best players.  Same reasons for the last couple of years, sadly now, money is the driving factor.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The great Liverpool sides of the 70s & 80s always bought one or two first team players to add competition & in order to keep on winning. That's what people are referring to.

We didn't do that after we won the European Cup/league and last season the wheels came off to an extent. This is why people brought it up in 2019, 2020 & are bringing it up again now.

If you don't exploit the situation while you're at the top, other teams will overtake you. Like Man City & Man Utd for example.

• Upvote 6