You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I had an open mind about Bowen. "Maybe Michael Edwards has seen something I haven't," I thought.

Then I watched this video, which seems to have been put together by someone who hates Jarrod Bowen and wants to make him look as terrible as possible, while pretending that the video features his "highlights." Got as far at 2 or 3 minutes in, it's mostly just him being fouled or putting in a hopeful cross. Yikes.

That reminds me of watching a youtube compilation of Downing when he signed for us. I was on RAWK at the time and all the posts were super positive and what a signing etc etc.

Turns out he was even worse than my low expectations were.

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we are selling at least one of Phillips or Davies, then we can only replace them with another homegrown player, so I sort of understand the interest in Bowen.

He looked very good in the championship and has done ok in the Premier League for West Ham. I'm guessing that we have seen something in his stats that suggest he would do well for us?

8 goals and 5 assists in the Premier League last season, hard working/versatile forward, and is 24.

The profile makes sense and is somewhat similar to what we usually look for, but it's just a weird shout when you consider contract length, that West Ham are in Europe and the fact he looks serviceable, but not really a potential top player.

25 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we ignore Karius I count 17 non-homegrown players at the moment. That includes Keita, Origi, Shaqiri and Minamino. A couple of them are surely dispensible if we sign a forward. I don't see any need to focus on signing homegrown players. The fact we gave Adrian an extension suggests this.

Well so far it's all a bit meh! Konate in but we don't know he's going to hold up fitness wise! Some of the dross out with more to go, but it looks like we're going to have a even thinner squad (numbers wise more than quality wise) than we did last season, when the squad just wasn't up to it fitness wise!

It all smells of FSG being quite happy with us being in the mix for top 4, but with a squad so thin I'd have concerns!

I'll stand corrected if we sign some quality!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

Yeah I like him. Very direct, real quick and PL proven. Would make a good squad player, but never going to reach Salah or Mane’s level.

There's a big difference in played in the premier league and proven. And 8 goals in 51 games for a striker isn't proven. Unless you want to go back to the days of Kuyt,Benteke etc up top.

The idea he's better than Bailey is nonsense. 9 goals,8 assists in 32 Bundesliga games last year,he's a year younger and a winger over bowens 8 goals 5 assists in 40 games. 

The only benefit in Bowen is he's home grown. He's bang average average at the right sort of club. The lad at Villa is a far far better option but likely to expensive 

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Sounds like we are broke or are trying to make it sound like we are broke but when you look to the past when we ain't got shit worth anything to sell then were probably just broke. The club that is not FSG they're minted. Let's just hope it's "we are broke" *wink*

We probably are

With covid stopping attendance,money spent on training ground,expansion there probably isn't money around. The difference is most clubs are either taking out cheap loans or have owners willing to take a hit waiting on the finance upturn. These won't do that,theyll be happy with top 4. They also probably see they need a whole squad restructure and will wait for Klopp to go to do it. They'll give the job to Gerrard thinking the fans will give him time

• Upvote 1

I think there's a bit of football snobbery in the posts here about Bowen. He's clearly not a Championship player. He's held his own in the Premier League and seems to have some attributes which could make him an option for our system. But, he's definitely not a top level player. It largely depends what we want him for. If there's interest in Origi, we'll need somebody to come in and replace him. But, with the likes of Bowen etc, the optimum time would be to sign them straight from their original lower league club, before they've made the move to a smaller scale Premier League club like West Ham. But, such a transfer approach would involve a bit of a punt. 

Our next forward should either be a seasoned vet with a few more good years in him or an upcoming player with a high ceiling. Being better than Origi is a low bar and if that’s all we’re looking for then give the games to Harvey Elliot. A Danny Ings without the brokenness would be ideal really for the former and someone raw like Doku for the latter. The main problem with Bowen is that he wouldn’t be in the side often enough to develop and he lacks the outstanding attribute that would let him push for minutes. He’d be out on loan in 18 months.