You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Whilst I appreciate that we need to be sustainable there are a lot of clubs struggling right now and some good players seemingly can be had for a lower fee than normal (seen locatelli being offered for 30m for example) so now would be an ideal time to add some quality to the squad.

16 minutes ago, Horus said:

The good news keeps on flowing today

This is good news I think. He is clearly a talented footballer, but has been unlucky with injuries. He clearly also has confidence issues. I’d like to see him play a full season before we decide if he’s ever gonna be good enough for us or otherwise.

21 minutes ago, aRdja said:

This is good news I think. He is clearly a talented footballer, but has been unlucky with injuries. He clearly also has confidence issues. I’d like to see him play a full season before we decide if he’s ever gonna be good enough for us or otherwise.

I don't think anyone doubts he's a talented footballer, I think the issue is that he could be as talented as Maradona, but if he's made of crisps then what's the point? We don't have a city-esque squad filled with luxuries and I think the biggest issue is the fact that selling him would result in about a 50% loss on his fee.

58 minutes ago, Horus said:

I don't think anyone doubts he's a talented footballer, I think the issue is that he could be as talented as Maradona, but if he's made of crisps then what's the point? We don't have a city-esque squad filled with luxuries and I think the biggest issue is the fact that selling him would result in about a 50% loss on his fee.

I don’t think that matters that much. We let Gini and Can fo for nothing. I don’t think Klopp has given up on Naby yet. I personally think he’ll have a good season. There’s very little pressure on him to perform next season. Thiago is the ‘star’ player, and Curtis Jones is the next big thing. He probably won’t start if everyone’s fit. However as fourth or fifth choice midfielder, is there anyone better in the league? We should really focus our energy on trying to bring in a striker. Our midfield is in a good spot IMO.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think that matters that much. We let Gini and Can fo for nothing. I don’t think Klopp has given up on Naby yet. I personally think he’ll have a good season. There’s very little pressure on him to perform next season. Thiago is the ‘star’ player, and Curtis Jones is the next big thing. He probably won’t start if everyone’s fit. However as fourth or fifth choice midfielder, is there anyone better in the league? We should really focus our energy on trying to bring in a striker. Our midfield is in a good spot IMO.

I was his biggest fan, we aren’t City 5th choice at what he cost?

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I was his biggest fan, we aren’t City 5th choice at what he cost?

I haven’t quite made up my mind yet as he’s hardly played for us. We’ve paid the money, and he’s here, may as well give him a go. 

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I haven’t quite made up my mind yet as he’s hardly played for us. We’ve paid the money, and he’s here, may as well give him a go. 

I get what you’re saying but he has shown very little so far, looks nothing like the player in Germany. I think it is more down to what we would lose money wise than playing wise.

If you look at our squad below.

CF: Firmino, Origi

Winger: Salah, Mane, Jota, Elliott

CM: Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Milner, Jones

RB: Trent, N. Williams

LB: Robbo, Tsimikas

CH: Virgil, Gomez, Konate, Matip, Phillips

GK: Alisson, Kelleher, Adrian

The obvious weak areas are:

CF - Origi is just never going to be good enough consistently enough for us to be able to rely on him. Bobby hasn’t been the same since the injury he suffered pre CL final. 

RB - Trent is the best RB in the world but he needs resting from time to time. Neco Williams at this point in time isn’t nearly ready and he needs game time to develop his game and we won’t give him that for obvious reasons. 

CM is so far from a priority at the moment IMO.

12 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I disagree that he won't be under pressure. We've all seen him be a good player when fit, and now there is no gini to fall back on. If we don't actually bring a first team midfielder in (and it looks like we probably will), he will be under the most pressure.

1 minute ago, Horus said:

I disagree that he won't be under pressure. We've all seen him be a good player when fit, and now there is no gini to fall back on. If we don't actually bring a first team midfielder in (and it looks like we probably will), he will be under the most pressure.

Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago will start when fit. Its unlikely that will change IMO. It’s a completely different scenario to when we brought him in as our star signing summer of 2018.