You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

12 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Atletico Madrid have rejected Liverpool's bid for Saul Niguez. The Reds offered £34m but the Spanish side value him higher [@mundodeportivo]

I hesitate to speak against Michael Edwards, because if he's seen something in Niguez's numbers that warrants a pursuit I'd say we should get him, but there's something suspicious going on with him.

First of all, the 9-year deal was insane. Atletico can pretend they want to hold out all they want, but I suspect they're secretly desperate to sell him. He hasn't been performing well for over a season now, and they have 5 years left on that deal. Maybe the problem gets fixed by a change in scenery and a new tactical setup, but with Simeone locked down for the long term now he's not going to get that there and they pretty much have to sell him to someone, one would think? And he's not going to accept a move just anywhere - if we walk away, you'd have to think it's a short list of other potential suitors.

I suspect in the end Atletico either try to see if he can get his mojo back for one more year or we end up getting him for a bargain price. There are times when the selling club has all the leverage but not in this case. That contract looks like a huge albatross for their club if he doesn't find his form again.

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I hesitate to speak against Michael Edwards, because if he's seen something in Niguez's numbers that warrants a pursuit I'd say we should get him, but there's something suspicious going on with him.

First of all, the 9-year deal was insane. Atletico can pretend they want to hold out all they want, but I suspect they're secretly desperate to sell him. He hasn't been performing well for over a season now, and they have 5 years left on that deal. Maybe the problem gets fixed by a change in scenery and a new tactical setup, but with Simeone locked down for the long term now he's not going to get that there and they pretty much have to sell him to someone, one would think? And he's not going to accept a move just anywhere - if we walk away, you'd have to think it's a short list of other potential suitors.

I suspect in the end Atletico either try to see if he can get his mojo back for one more year or we end up getting him for a bargain price. There are times when the selling club has all the leverage but not in this case. That contract looks like a huge albatross for their club if he doesn't find his form again.

Isn't he still recovering from kidney problems? Niguez, not Edwards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If you gave me a choice of a 100 million pound for a new signing or give a 100 million to klopp to just stay with us for another decade I'd go klopp every day of the week and be giddy as shit. Hes perfect for this club.

Need to enjoy this season as we’ll all be snivelling wrecks come 12 months time.

On 11/07/2021 at 16:44, Bruce Spanner said:

If the Mbappe song I’ve been working on all summer with ‘My Girl’ as the original source material isn’t gonna happen I’m going to be proper fucked off.

‘Mbappe’ is three syllables, ‘My Girl’ is only two. It’s not gonna work. You’ve fucked up big time here. Back to the drawing board I’m afraid. 

• Upvote 1