You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Look at the dates of those. A mini purple patch off the back of some robust sales. Its all of since stopped.

Except it hasn't - last summer -- 83 mil incoming, 43 mil outgoing.

This summer - 40 mil incoming, 0 outgoing.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Look at the dates of those. A mini purple patch off the back of some robust sales. Its all of since stopped. Football doesn't sit still and wait for you to catch up, its always evolving> your rivals pick themselves up and try to do better, to become better. They don't allow you to hoover up the trophies.

What happened last year was the direct result of lack of investment and planning.

And don't fucking dare mention COVID.

Well, since we’ve stopped signing players early, we’ve won the league and CL, so what more do you want?

Yes, we could have done with another centre back last season, however, we’d likely still have had to play Fabinho back there the majority of the season.

It was a deeply frustrating season and I didn’t enjoy it, but we salvaged it in the end.

If you can’t understand the impact that COVID19 has had on the global economy, then I don’t know what else to say.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Except it hasn't - last summer -- 83 mil incoming, 43 mil outgoing.

This summer - 40 mil incoming, 0 outgoing.

Quite. Signing VVD and Alisson will always be heralded as being Coutinho money but nobody explains the Fabinho, Keita & Shaq money.

There is nowhere near enough significant outgoings that summer, but that doesn’t fit the narrative. 

Anytime anyone mentions the high wage bill or the club financial statements not showing there's any transfer money not being spent, some people will say there might be fraud going on. So I don't even know why people keep arguing about this stuff. No one will change anyone's mind. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Anytime anyone mentions the high wage bill or the club financial statements not showing there's any transfer money not being spent, some people will say there might be fraud going on. So I don't even know why people keep arguing about this stuff. No one will change anyone's mind. 

No man - it is very easy to see the transfer fees.

As for the Coutinho thing - that is a fallacy as well.

He left in the 17-18 season

That year -- 174 mil incoming, 184 outgoing

The next year -- 184 mil incoming, 41 outgoing

That is about 130 mil on top of the Coutinho fee.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

1) Maybe not but the fact remains the same. If the pointless, needless post had been made first, I wouldn’t have responded. 

2) People likely won’t change their mind. But they don’t even entertain the other thoughts. 

Posters might have good points on FSG but it’s buried in so much shite (yachts, stealing wages, Linda is a whore, we can’t be bothered to negotiate - all claims that have been repeatedly made) it all just gets lost.

Look back at the posts what has started this, this morning.

The initial post is needless, unnecessary and been made numerous times before. 

The second post outlying when we make our signings is factually incorrect. If people disagree with facts and think the poster who made it is reputable, considering the same poster has also consistently bent truths (lied) and passed off as fact (ie all the claims above), I’m not sure what else to say.

I don’t disagree with what you’ve said there on FSG, most of it is factually accurate. However, there is still 8 weeks of the window left, so I don’t see the need to going off on one everyday - I just can’t comprehend it. It’s so needy, pathetic & small time.

FWIW, if we haven’t signed another couple of young & talented players come September, I’ll be pissed off. But I’ll wait until September to pass judgment.

1) One mans pointless or needless, is another mans getting shit off their chests, and we're all responsible for what we do, not what others do.

2) Maybe mockery isn't really the way to get people on board if there is a genuine desire to get people to see things from a different perspective? 

From a personal PoV, there are definitely patterns in our transfer windows that we see repeated, and this one is definitely following the pattern. However, i do think we'll sign a Gini replacement, and I think we're looking at a back up for Bobby, when we should be looking at a replacement, but with a budget of £15p and some belly button fluff, it's not even possible. We don't get midfielders forward, so having a forward going backwards is a killer at times. We don't get round the back, and our forwards can be isolated. We need a ball carrier to break lines and commit defenders, because we're increasingly happy to just play in front of a teams defence and hope our 1 or 2 guaranteed good chances per game are put away.

Even back up players are out of our price range. We struck gold with the crop we have at the moment, but relying on panhandling every window isn't a way to maintain a position at the top. Even united, by virtue of signing good players are getting better and better, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised by the end of the window, to see them cement 2nd place over us. 

When the local paper is all about FSG over the football club, then that also is an initiator of this kind of grievance, because absolutely no one is holding their feet to the fire. They throw out an apology every time they fuck up, and call it quits, and we all go back to "well, we can't compete."  

So if FSG won't help us when they can easily afford to, should it be up to the same fans that hold up the man that said "directors are there to sign the cheques" as a god, to just go "well that's that then, lads".

Maybe you think there's no point, and that FSG are good owners, but lets see how people feel once this team has been fully run into the ground without replacements, and acting smugly as though we know we're great no longer seems accurate. The campaigns against G&H started in places like this.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No man - it is very easy to see the transfer fees.

As for the Coutinho thing - that is a fallacy as well.

He left in the 17-18 season

That year -- 174 mil incoming, 184 outgoing

The next year -- 184 mil incoming, 41 outgoing

That is about 130 mil on top of the Coutinho fee.

It’s baffling the ones who point out facts are the ones having to defend themselves in this thread, while the ones who bend the truth to fit their narrative get supported. 

2 hours ago, m0e said:

Anyone sum this up for me?

Man on internet says something.

Other man on internet says something else.

Another man on internet likes what man says but not what the other man says.

Yet another man, who likes the man but not the other man, says that another man should not be saying such things about the man.

Repeat the above ad infinitum.

Stronts gets negged.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Horus said:

The campaigns against G&H started in places like this.

They did??

WTF honestly?

So much of that post is right w regards to on the pitch - certainly Thiago is that player, whether he can bring another level on a regular basis we will see - but he is the world class example of that.

I think Jota was brought in as another direct option and will continue to see alot of time in the "Firmino" role.

"We struck gold with the crop we have at the moment" - or over the course of a few years the club assembled a great side - it happened, it wasn't luck. If it was all down to Klopp, good, he is part of the club and certainly onboard with FSG.

TBH I really don't get the infatuation with print media the English have. Especially in this day and age.

So if FSG won't help us when they can easily afford to 

Define "help." Is that a cash infusion - loan/debt - what is help? And how much do you think "we" need?

I think anyone in a few years or decades time will remember this team amongst the best in the club's history.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Qwikage said:

Man on internet says something.

Other man on internet says something else.

Another man on internet likes what man says but not what the other man says.

Yet another man, who likes the man but not the other man, says that another man should not be saying such things about the man.

Repeat the above ad infinitum.

Stronts gets negged.

This is pretty sexist shit here fella.

The last part - take it to the GF!!

26 minutes ago, Horus said:

1) One mans pointless or needless, is another mans getting shit off their chests, and we're all responsible for what we do, not what others do.

2) Maybe mockery isn't really the way to get people on board if there is a genuine desire to get people to see things from a different perspective? 

From a personal PoV, there are definitely patterns in our transfer windows that we see repeated, and this one is definitely following the pattern. However, i do think we'll sign a Gini replacement, and I think we're looking at a back up for Bobby, when we should be looking at a replacement, but with a budget of £15p and some belly button fluff, it's not even possible. We don't get midfielders forward, so having a forward going backwards is a killer at times. We don't get round the back, and our forwards can be isolated. We need a ball carrier to break lines and commit defenders, because we're increasingly happy to just play in front of a teams defence and hope our 1 or 2 guaranteed good chances per game are put away.

Even back up players are out of our price range. We struck gold with the crop we have at the moment, but relying on panhandling every window isn't a way to maintain a position at the top. Even united, by virtue of signing good players are getting better and better, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised by the end of the window, to see them cement 2nd place over us. 

When the local paper is all about FSG over the football club, then that also is an initiator of this kind of grievance, because absolutely no one is holding their feet to the fire. They throw out an apology every time they fuck up, and call it quits, and we all go back to "well, we can't compete."  

So if FSG won't help us when they can easily afford to, should it be up to the same fans that hold up the man that said "directors are there to sign the cheques" as a god, to just go "well that's that then, lads".

Maybe you think there's no point, and that FSG are good owners, but lets see how people feel once this team has been fully run into the ground without replacements, and acting smugly as though we know we're great no longer seems accurate. The campaigns against G&H started in places like this.

1) I get that. I fundamentally don’t think this was one of those occasions.

2) Maybe not but I have tried that as well. Multiple times. 

As I’ve said, there is 8 weeks of the window left. If we don’t get a couple of players by then, I’ll be disappointed. But I’m prepared to wait until approaching September to pass judgement.