You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

21 hours ago, Trumo said:

Judging by the Echo article links that get posted on here, that's probably not very far off the mark. It reminds me of an episode of The Newsroom where the news network's website started getting filled with bollocks articles like "10 reasons why [insert popular movie] is actually shite".

Mate i used to work a floor above them in St Pauls Square and you'd see them every day swanning about like big cheeses.

Pearce is about 2 foot tall and was always trying to chat up the women outside in the summer when everyone flocked for a break. Ian Doyle looks like he would fall over if the wind blew a tiny gust.

I used to love the Echo growing up it was bloody good for LFC coverage and we also had the pink Echo. But like everything it was changed for the worst and now you've got these wannabes like Theo Squires and Liam Thorp writing absolute trash across the board.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Mate i used to work a floor above them in St Pauls Square and you'd see them every day swanning about like big cheeses.

Pearce is about 2 foot tall and was always trying to chat up the women outside in the summer when everyone flocked for a break. Ian Doyle looks like he would fall over if the wind blew a tiny gust.

I used to love the Echo growing up it was bloody good for LFC coverage and we also had the pink Echo. But like everything it was changed for the worst and now you've got these wannabes like Theo Squires and Liam Thorp writing absolute trash across the board.

The pink was ace 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, agreed. That's why it's imperative we started binning off the deadwood. I understand it won't be easy because no doubt they're on big wages and the injury records aren't exactly a secret, but we need to be ruthless. Cut losses and move on.

We should, but we won't. Part of the reason that we still have the likes of Wilson and Origi on the books is because we've turned down offers for them below our valuation. 

I get that this is part of our strategy now, we don't want to be a soft touch anymore like we were for years with the likes of Aquilani, but we need to find a middle ground.

Going through the squad, we have Origi, Ben Davies, Grujic, Minamino, Karius, Ojo, Wilson,Woodburn and Awoniyi that should all just be moved on for the best price we can get this summer. That shoud generate about 50 to 60 million even in a covid era.

We then have Keita, Ox, Shaqiri, N Williams and Phillips, who also could be moved on, but it's difficult to replace a lot of players in one window, particularly going in to a season when you don't have a full pre season because of the Euro's/Copa America.  Of those five, i'd get rid of Keita, Shaqiri and Williams as this could bring in another 30 to 40 million.

This then gives us a minimum of £80 million to spend on 2 players that would go straight in to the first team squad and help towards getting some of our first team players new contracts sorted out. As I've mentioned before we have ten players with two years left on their contract, and we seem to be in no rush to do anything about it? 

36 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We should, but we won't. Part of the reason that we still have the likes of Wilson and Origi on the books is because we've turned down offers for them below our valuation. 

I get that this is part of our strategy now, we don't want to be a soft touch anymore like we were for years with the likes of Aquilani, but we need to find a middle ground.

Going through the squad, we have Origi, Ben Davies, Grujic, Minamino, Karius, Ojo, Wilson,Woodburn and Awoniyi that should all just be moved on for the best price we can get this summer. That shoud generate about 50 to 60 million even in a covid era.

We then have Keita, Ox, Shaqiri, N Williams and Phillips, who also could be moved on, but it's difficult to replace a lot of players in one window, particularly going in to a season when you don't have a full pre season because of the Euro's/Copa America.  Of those five, i'd get rid of Keita, Shaqiri and Williams as this could bring in another 30 to 40 million.

This then gives us a minimum of £80 million to spend on 2 players that would go straight in to the first team squad and help towards getting some of our first team players new contracts sorted out. As I've mentioned before we have ten players with two years left on their contract, and we seem to be in no rush to do anything about it? 

Yes, I get the not wanting to be fucked around thing as well. 

However, especially when you're a club with owners that don't spend much money, you have to take your opportunities when you can. Get the shite fucked off, even if it's at 75% or 50% of what you wanted, and build a squad where everyone can contribute.

What benefit have we had from keeping Grujic, Wilson, Origi etc for another year? They offer nothing. Shaqiri, the manager clearly doesn't want him to play. Get rid. 

And we don't need to replace all the players you've listed (of which I agree all need fucking off), because most of them aren't contributing anything. 

We've got one right back. We've got four central midfielders capable of starting, and one of them is 52. We have no alternative to Firmino. Etc.

I really hope we're ruthless this summer. No blaming Covid, or the Euros, or pretending we've got some 12 year olds who will be the next Baresi, Messi and Gerrard. Clear the crap, buy some good footballers that aren't made of crisps.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Come on. 2nd and 3rd choice goalies are signed up. 

Seriously though, there might be a book keeping reason for that. The players have the cost of purchase amortised over the period of their contract. So take VVD for example, I think he cost 75m and signed a 6 year contract. So each year we would write down a loss on him of 12.5m. So he has 2 years left so he'll be valued at 25m on the books. I would imagine that doesn't tick down monthly and happens once per year, so we may be waiting for a tipping point where the latest 12.5m has dropped off before renewing. Because if we renew, the remainder of his value will be spread over the length of his new contract. So if it's at 25m and he signs for 5 years we need to make 5m per season loss. Otherwise it's 2.5m if we wait a little. Now obviously that means we take 12.5m now, but that's been planned and budgeted for, so it's possibly not really an issue and long term it's more advantageous to keep that number down. I don't know this for sure, but it's just a thought. The 2 players we've renewed so far have been players with zero asset value. 

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Echo:

Could John Henry’s Coke bottle returns have saved Liverpool Millions?

John Henry is the type of man to get the club to recycle sweetcorn and peanuts

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The pink was ace 

It was wasn't it? In the days when if you couldn't get the game, your best bet was Radio City and then reliving the game through the match report in the pink. You knew a goal was coming because they bolded the description in the report. Halycon days.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Echo:

Could John Henry’s Coke bottle returns have saved Liverpool Millions?

We literally are like in Only Fools when Del is playing cards with Boycie and Boycie asks him if that is all the money he has...

Del answers 'No, no i have got more, Rodney is holding the rest'.....at which point Rodney pulls out money drops it on table and says 'there is the £4.37 from the empties'......

20 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It was wasn't it? In the days when if you couldn't get the game, your best bet was Radio City and then reliving the game through the match report in the pink. You knew a goal was coming because they bolded the description in the report. Halycon days.

I don't remember getting a live pink newspaper myself mate but I do remember my hands looking like I'd been down the mines after reading it. 

8 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Agree signing another midfielder will largely be based on sales. What we looking at?

Phillips £10-15m

Grugic - £10-£15m

Williams - £10m

Wilson - £10-£15m

Shaq - £10-£15m

And another few sales of no consequence (Ojo, Woodburn, Karius).

Downward adjustment required for the Welsh lads.