You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Lets see. Those on here presenting them with the trophy are pretty much the same ones who gave up in 2018. 

To be clear, I’m not throwing in the towel already! I fully expect us to be right in the mix challenging for the League & CL again next season. 

9 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I don't think it's weakening at all, both Grealish and Kane got 24 assists beteen them lasy season, Jesus has never progressed, Laporte is a decent player, Sterling hasn't gone to the next level.

Get where your coming from, I was thinking more in terms of bodies in the squad - it’ll certainly be thinner and Kane & Grealish don’t have perfect fitness records. 

I kept hoping that finishing the CL & going straight into the Premiership would knacker City out last season, however it never came. Hopefully them having more players having significant game time than our players at the Euros means they are running on empty next season. 

I dont even really want to count Milner as an option, I love the guy but he's 35 if we want to keep him around as an option thats fine but entirely due to his age I'd put him in the Keita and Ox category of you can't rely on him too much next season especially when compared to what Gini offered. As for Jones I just don't really see it yet, he is still an understudy footballer and will have to prove his worth as a substitute and in cup games. We need a midfielder and a forward and to sell quite a few players. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont even really want to count Milner as an option, I love the guy but he's 35 if we want to keep him around as an option thats fine but entirely due to his age I'd put him in the Keita and Ox category of you can't rely on him too much next season especially when compared to what Gini offered. As for Jones I just don't really see it yet, he is still an understudy footballer and will have to prove his worth as a substitute and in cup games. We need a midfielder and a forward and to sell quite a few players. 

Valid concerns and appreciate where you’re coming.

Jones certainly tailed off in the second half of the season, but then again, so did the whole squad. It must have been difficult for him as a young lad with minimal experience looking to this senior players to re-ignight, which only happened it the last 6 or so games.

I think before Christmas he was largely decent and there is a player in there.

Agree signing another midfielder will largely be based on sales. What we looking at?

Phillips £10-15m

Grugic - £10-£15m

Williams - £10m

Wilson - £10-£15m

Shaq - £10-£15m

And another few sales of no consequence (Ojo, Woodburn, Karius). 

I think the priority is another forward, so if the sell to buy rumours are 100% true,  I’d be interested to see how far we can stretch £50-£70m.

12 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Jones is going to be a star. 20 years old, and he looks comfortable in this team. 

I think he has lot to prove yet to be a 'star' but he's certainly capable of being an effective squad option for us.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

We basically have Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago with Milner and Jones as rotation options. And in the case of the latter I'm not sure that Klopp trusts him to do all the boring shit off the ball yet.

So we've got a good first choice three, then a 35 year old and a kid as back up. 

Keita and AOC are a waste of space and we should be doing everything we can to fuck them off. Neither of them will ever stay fit enough to have a decent run in the side and actually get into some sort of form. Get rid, and sign someone at the level of the first choice three.

The problem is that we actually have the numbers in midfield already;7 (no matter how unreliable Ox and Keita are). We have been linked with a bunch of midfielders but I think it is still likely that if we cant bin Keita, there wont be the willingness to pay 35m or whatever for what is an 8th midfielder. Although of course that player wouldnt be 8th choice.  

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem is that we actually have the numbers in midfield already;7 (no matter how unreliable Ox and Keita are). We have been linked with a bunch of midfielders but I think it is still likely that if we cant bin Keita, there wont be the willingness to pay 35m or whatever for what is an 8th midfielder. Although of course that player wouldnt be 8th choice.  

Yes, agreed. That's why it's imperative we started binning off the deadwood. I understand it won't be easy because no doubt they're on big wages and the injury records aren't exactly a secret, but we need to be ruthless. Cut losses and move on.

If we don't buy a midfielder who is gonna play all those minutes Wijnaldum racked up week in week out over last 5 years?

Can't see us getting same mileage out of Thiago - his record before coming here does not suggest we will.

Milner is 36 in January.

Jones is a talent but not finished article.

Henderson seems to miss chunks of every season now.

Fabinho will likely miss a quarter of the games.

Keita and Ox are wastes of wages and space.

Looks like we will have to do a fair bit of chopping and changing and that is not good for consistency and understanding in the midfield.

I don't think Tielemans is the answer. He often looks lazy with the defensive work, so unless thats how he has been told to plsy by Rodgers its a definite flaw from what we look for. Think we can do better for the 50/60ml needed to get him. 

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Awoniyi,Shaqiri or Origi are here next year as the back up. We have the front three plus Jota and Elliot.

Same in midfield, unless we can shift who we need to i can see us making do.  

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

Can Awoniyi get a UK work permit now?

Yes.

You can almost guarantee though, that if we decide to give Awoniyi a shot (we won't), that the lad will get called up for Nigeria for the ACON.

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

I'm not so sure being injury prone is the same thing as being shit. With a good run of games any of our fringe midfielders might play themselves into form. Yes I want a midfielder in still but I'd possibly prioritise a forward with Afcon

Being injury prone is not the same as being shit but Keita & Oxlade-Chamberlain are both.

Get rid & get a serious midfielder in and a number of problems go away.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Awoniyi,Shaqiri or Origi are here next year as the back up. We have the front three plus Jota and Elliot.

Same in midfield, unless we can shift who we need to i can see us making do.  

I'd be very surprised if they are both here. Shaq has had a decent tournament and I think Origi will push for a move as he needs to. Awoniyi should surely be easy enough to shift? 

Saying that - you are probably right, not to be surprised! I'm surprised they are here now. So, yeah, second thoughts you are probably right.