You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

OK, but if you're Liverpool, what are you basing his scouting report on then? That he scores loads of goals in Austria and runs fast? Ok, great. Bit tenuous, though.

Fair play on Leicester taking that risk, as I say they often get it right. We have no reason  to take that risk, though.

I'd imagine they'd look at the bigger sample of his league performances more closely than his games in Europe (i am sure they'd look at Europe too, but weight it less) and run his performances into the metrics they look for and measure - its all very performance stat based isn't it and of course style of play and whether that will be compatible with how we want to play.

As we have agreed there are a lot of unknowns with this lad, and that is i'd imagine why we haven't gone in for him - all i was saying was the Europe thing seemed to be being used as a stick to beat the lad with and for me it didn't feel totally right.

24 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Wasn't his fee a lot less when he was linked with us? 

17ml was mentioned a few weeks back but it was all the usual twatter lots blowing out shite, the talk now is 30ml

So 10ml more than they got for Haaland and Dominik Szoboszlai

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

I think it’s much fairer to compare him to Minamino, a player of similar physicality and position than it is to a generational talent. We didn’t sign Mane when he left them either, if Daka is any good we’ll pay double when we know what we’re getting for our money.

Bingo

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

In better news, I see that the Mancs are negotiating with Atletico Madrid for Kieran Trippier. For £35m!

I know they have basically unlimited money, but we had better hope they never get smart. The only way we're going to be able to continue to finish ahead of them is if they keep buying 30 year olds for huge money (in a position where they already have a pretty good player, actually!).

They needed someone to fill the silly money gap left by Sanchez.

3 hours ago, Jockey said:

Everything suggests we'll sign a forward - even the Echo are saying so. They are confident we will. 

Yeah, I think we'll sign a player for the rotation in the front 3, but I could see it being more of an older, steady-hand type a la Milner or Klavan.

I still think the original plan was to sell Mane or Salah this summer and go after one of the bright young talents. But with the pandemic and mis-management, Real and Barca don't have any cash and that's sort of scuppered our rebuilding plan a bit.

Now I think it could well be a 30 year old who's relatively unknown, cheap and has a decent record to be 5th choice (after Mane, Firmino, Salah, and Jota) and then try again next summer when hopefully more clubs have money to buy one of our front 3. Either that or if they think Elliott might be the real deal then maybe buy nobody and he gets 1300 minutes or something.

It's the midfielder that will be the main buy, though, IMO.

Not saying it's what I'd do, in the medium term we definitely need to get younger up front for sure.

I can just see it being what happens when we spend 45m replacing Gini and then have 10m left for an attacking player and Edwards decides to just keep his powder dry for the next Jota and get a temporary fix to just have a body there for this season.

I'll disagree because Klopp has always been about long term thinking. And I think it's better we get someone younger like Malen who will need to blend with our system and be ready in 6 months just in time to make up for Salah and Mane going to ACON. I definitely think we will get a midfielder and a forward, both youngish with potential to be great in the near future. 

27 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Not saying it's what I'd do, in the medium term we definitely need to get younger up front for sure.

I can just see it being what happens when we spend 45m replacing Gini and then have 10m left for an attacking player and Edwards decides to just keep his powder dry for the next Jota and get a temporary fix to just have a body there for this season.

I think if the club didn't see a option available this summer and decided to keep the powder dry there is more chance they keep Origi or Shaqiri for another year than just buy a older player. 

As with most summers we compile a big list of deadwood that we will sell, earmarking the funds for a shiny top new player. But we always sell fewer then predicted, usually at a rate of about 50%. Which of the 'deadwood' would you keep? I like Shaq and don't feel he gets used enough. I also am still desperate for Keita to make it (while completely accepting he hasn't got close to cutting it here). 

I liked the little I've seen of Grujic but that ship has long since sailed. I'd like to see Divock get some first team football, hopefully does well at a midtable La Liga team or something. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Cough 

Cough

Mbappe

Sneeze

Haha - nah, Doyle explicitly said 'Mbappe' is a pipe dream, but that he would be very surprised if we don't bring in a forward. It may be someone like Hlosek - but, I'm not sure. I do like the Mallen or Badou! 

23 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Haha - nah, Doyle explicitly said 'Mbappe' is a pipe dream, but that he would be very surprised if we don't bring in a forward. It may be someone like Hlosek - but, I'm not sure. I do like the Mallen or Badou! 

I have a random theory on Mbappe.

All the rumours of Klopp being friends with his Dad, FSG taking his family on plane rides round France etc mean we’ve actually convinced him to come to

us, hence why there’s been stories recently that Real Madrid have dropped out. 

Nothing to be announced while the Euros are ongoing, let’s him focus on that but he’s told PSG he’s not renewing and we’ve already struck the deal with PSG.

After the Euros, there will be no long drawn out drama, like say Thiago. It’ll just be boom and done.

Mbappe will wear Number 23, the same as Lebron James, Michael Jordan & Beckham (Beckham wore 23 as a marketing ploy). Only issue is James has just moved from #23 to #6 at LA but anyway…

Nike will use us, Lebron James & Mbappe in every advertisement they could possibly imagine. The extra advertising and endorsements will make up his lower wages. 

The £120m Redball investment will be the transfer fee and this has been the plan all along, hence the big push for Nike last season. 

202F5C38-58D7-4418-82C4-00472FF9CA79.gif

Fully aware I’ll be completely ridiculed for this but fuck it, I’m a dreamer! 

• Upvote 14

11 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

All the rumours of Klopp being friends with his Dad, FSG taking his family on plane rides round France etc mean we’ve actually convinced him to come to

Nothing to be announced while the Euros are ongoing, let’s him focus on that but he’s told PSG he’s not renewing and we’ve already struck the deal with PSG.

After the Euros, there will be no long drawn out drama, like say Thiago. It’ll just be boom and done.

Mbappe will wear Number 23, the same as Lebron James, Michael Jordan & Beckham (Beckham wore 23 as a marketing ploy). Only issue is James has just moved from #23 to #6 at LA but anyway…

Nike will use us, Lebron James & Mbappe in every advertisement they could possibly imagine. The extra advertising and endorsements will make up his lower wages. 

The £120m Redball investment will be the transfer fee and this has been the plan all along, hence the big push for Nike last season. 

Hmm, this is how I feel when the fit women in the pub has looked in my direction! I mean, it could be me she is looking at! 

Sounds good to me, I'm in 

I just wish I had the skills to photoshop Jurgen and Kylian's faces on the Big One at Blackpool Pleasure beach.

Is this our version of the Everton one just slap the money on the table I cant believe I'm actually saying this.