You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Our only hope is the Manc Goblin has no clue and Sancho doesn't progress under him like he would under Klopp.

Isn't that a certainty?

I agree he's world class but ppl acting as if it's doomsday if he goes to those cunts is not being fair on what Klopp and the recruitment team have been doing over the last 3-4 years. As frustrating as it is, we won't be spending 70-80 million on a single player this window. If we didn't have to buy a CB or 1-2 midfielders, then yes but with the current gaps in the squad, we won't unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

On a nerdier note, check out how Neuhaus compares statistically against a selection of midfield counterparts.

Wijnaldum vs Bissouma vs Neuhaus vs Barella vs Thiago vs Curtis

All statistics are from the respective domestic 2020/21 league seasons.

The reasons I've chosen the above players are:

Gini - Outgoing player to compare against

Bissouma - Probably linked to us more than any other current Premier League midfielder - (Could swap for Tielemens).

Neuhaus - Based on the above most recent link - (Also, a player that I mentioned as my preferred midfield target some time ago - Just saying...)

Barella - Arguably the midfielder with the best reputation we've been linked with out there on the internets.

Thiago - The actual Gini replacement?

Curtis - The future from within

I love the FBref site - Heaven for stats nerds...

Just saw this comparison of Wijnaldum

& Neuhaus.

0E2BB44F-F842-47D9-A814-B03795FD62E3.png

Also read that Neuhaus is somewhat press resistant. Although to be fair, so was Gini.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Some rumours we are trying to sign Gravenberch from Ajax. Preferably for this season but if not, a Keita style agreement that sees us sign him next season but leaves him at Ajax for a season.

I know this hasn’t worked out with Origi & Keita, but if we desperately want him, I’d be happy with it. 

He’ll be consistently playing in a title challenging side, who plays with a high line and will get more CL experience. 

Give him another year to mature and then sign him. 

I don’t think the fact it didn’t work with Origi or Keita should stop us doing it in future. 

55 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Just saw this comparison of Wijnaldum

& Neuhaus.

0E2BB44F-F842-47D9-A814-B03795FD62E3.png

Also read that Neuhaus is somewhat press resistant. Although to be fair, so was Gini.

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Neuhaus & Gini heat maps.

E3492DFC-1E27-435B-A5AC-082C14D170A4.png

Does that indicate Neuhaus is more of a sitter, while Gini was more a presser?

Assume the quality of the sides they were both representing might impact this.

Neuhaus has been moved deeper into more of a controlling role in the midfield for Gladbach this past season, however, he started off his young career as a much more attacking central midfielder and is certainly comfortable moving into positions higher up the pitch - This is reflected in his goals and assists.

As for press resistance, the Bundesliga in itself is the best of the big 5 leagues with regard to pressing numbers according to FBref, so it's only natural that players in and from the Bundesliga will likely be more proficient at pressing, and therefore also be more press resistant.

Big 5 European Leagues - Defensive Actions

Transfermarkt - Florian Neuhaus career stats

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I know this hasn’t worked out with Origi & Keita, but if we desperately want him, I’d be happy with it. 

He’ll be consistently playing in a title challenging side, who plays with a high line and will get more CL experience. 

Give him another year to mature and then sign him. 

I don’t think the fact it didn’t work with Origi or Keita should stop us doing it in future. 

The risk you run is that the player becomes less committed in his season before he leaves and loses his momentum. It’s probably a good indicator of a players mentality, a good mentality will see the player carry on playing to a high standard ala Gini. 

I was just taking the piss when I pointed those two out, it’s the same as the don’t sign Italians nonsense. We’ve been unfortunate but if the first teams need isn’t mega urgent and we can get some leverage by letting them stay at their clubs  an extra year then it’s a fine strategy. 

• Upvote 1

I get big Leon Goretzka vibes from Neuhaus - though Goretzka is/was certainly the better player.

For me, if Neuhaus is to kick on and get closer to Goretzka's level, then he needs to be moving to a bigger club with better coaches and players to learn from and train with.

Neuhaus is on an upward trajectory in terms of potential and ability, so now is the time for the next step, in my opinion.

With all due respect, another season at Gladbach could see him plateau and not quite reach the ability that his potential has hinted at.

He'll still certainly be a good player if he stays at Gladbach, but I suspect that he's capable of being much better surrounded by better players and staff.

Neuhaus vs Goretzka (Age 21 - Age 23) - Notice the uptick in Goretzka's first season at Bayern.

Obviously, the uptick will be influenced as a result of the overall strength of the Bayern side, but will also speak to the fact that Goretzka himself became a better player as a result of the higher quality around him.

15 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

The risk you run is that the player becomes less committed in his season before he leaves and loses his momentum. It’s probably a good indicator of a players mentality, a good mentality will see the player carry on playing to a high standard ala Gini. 

I was just taking the piss when I pointed those two out, it’s the same as the don’t sign Italians nonsense. We’ve been unfortunate but if the first teams need isn’t mega urgent and we can get some leverage by letting them stay at their clubs  an extra year then it’s a fine strategy. 

I wasn’t criticising - I just don’t think it those 2 should should but is off doing it.

I agree on mentality. In essence, once we weren’t going to win the league or CL last season, Wijnaldum had nothing to play for. It would have been easy for him to toss it off, but he kept going and was one of the reasons we qualified for the CL.

Keita showed in the RBL pre-season he didn’t want to be there when he 2 footed whoever their captain was in a training session. The fact he knew he was coming for a year and still didn’t speak English still baffles me. 

Origi, I still couldn’t tell you what sort of player he is! Apart from a run of about 6 games in Klopps first season, he’s just been an enigma. Mostly shite with flashes of brilliance. 

I think some of the comments on this thread putting Origi in with Keita as failures is unfair. He hasn't kicked on like we hoped, though he looked to be doing that before that cunt fucking done him in the derby. But he has scored too many important goals to be classed as a failure, especially for a lad costing under £10ml.

2018/19, 

The derby winner

The late winner vs Newcastle

The Barcelona game

Champions league final

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I think some of the comments on this thread putting Origi in with Keita as failures is unfair. He hasn't kicked on like we hoped, though he looked to be doing that before that cunt fucking done him in the derby. But he has scored too many important goals to be classed as a failure, especially for a lad costing under £10ml.

2018/19, 

The derby winner

The Barcelona game

Champions league final

I thought all that when I was making my last post. I feel mostly shite with flashes of brilliance is a fair assessment. 

That Funes Mori was April’16. 5 years ago. Obviously a shit house tackle, and he’s had great moments, but I do think, that is likely as good as we’ll get from him. 

As Moe and I said in his thread earlier in the week, absolutely garbage in Madrid and then sealed the title. Sums Origi up. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

2018/19, 

The derby winner

The Barcelona game

Champions league final

It's time for him to leave but I fully agree, Origi has contributed far more than that waste of space Keita.

Just now, Scott_M said:

I thought all that when I was making my last post. I feel mostly shite with flashes of brilliance is a fair assessment. 

That Funes Mori was April’16. 5 years ago. Obviously a shit house tackle, and he’s had great moments, but I do think, that is likely as good as we’ll get from him. 

I agree he is never going to kick and maybe never would have but that took him out of action just as he was starting to break into the side. His goal in the Dortmund game changed the game, from 2-0 down in the game to leveling the aggregate score. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

I agree he is never going to kick and maybe never would have but that took him out of action just as he was starting to break into the side. His goal in the Dortmund game changed the game, from 2-0 down in the game to leveling the aggregate score. 

Fully appreciate that. I remember him going off v The Ev. It really felt a “FFS moment” at the time.

It is 5 years ago. It’s enough time to get back to full fitness & form. I hope VVD and Gomez don’t take that long to get back up to full speed from significantly worse injuries. 

Yeah, I think Origi is shit and he would have always been shit regardless of that shit house Everton cunt but he’s been well worth the £10m. We’ll turn a profit on him and he’ll leave us with some good memories.

Chelsea fans will tell you the same about Torres for his contribution to their first European Cup win.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm pretty sure this guy is one step down from the Pearce, Joyce, Reddy in terms of reliability/club mouthpieces, though he doesn't work for a paper. 

Considering journalists you quote were  still saying we were only “monitoring” Thiago and Alisson about an hour before official news broke, who knows?

After the VVD fiasco, I tend to think the foreign reporters are a better indication these days. 

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Considering journalists you quote were  still saying we were only “monitoring” Thiago and Alisson about an hour before official news broke, who knows?

After the VVD fiasco, I tend to think the foreign reporters are a better indication these days. 

It depends. Pearce, Joyce and Reddy usually confirm when deals are almost done, they don't usually have scoops because they only report stuff when the club tells them directly.

If a journo like this guy Lynch that is somewhat reliable confirms information from foreign reports, it's probably a good thing. It means interest in the player is likely true.