You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

16 hours ago, Horus said:

I see some merit in this argument, but our team is just so set up in blocks these days, that unless we get players to break them, then we're a couple of seasons away from being in the kind of trouble that £20m net each season won't get close to fixing. We're not even in for the best strikers either, so what does that tell both of us? 

What do you mean by this?

16 hours ago, Horus said:

So now we've gone from me suggesting we should be all over Sancho - which is the truth, to me wanting a bench full of £80m players. Come on, dude. 

Do we even know if Sancho wants to come to us , If not what is this argument even about ? 

Klopp doesn't get his knickers in a twist over any player who isn't arsed about us , and neither do I 

If klopp wants him , he wants to come and the owners refuse the price tag , then and only then is this an actual problem . 

Until then people are dreaming that they know what's going behind the scenes. 

19 hours ago, Jockey said:

Nothing I have seen from Sancho suggests he is getting to that level in the next few years. 

All this talk about what 'we need' is just arrogant nonsense. We have won the league, we've clearly not 'needed' anything. You may like something else  - but that is on you - but we don't 'need' it. An evolution in the squad is fine for us at the moment. Maybe if some of our fans appreciated the world class talent up front we wouldn't be losing our shit because we are not getting an overpriced Chris Waddle. 

Of course he's getting to that level. With the right manager and coaching behind him, he will only get better. He's playing in a top league, and is starting to show it at international level too. By people wanting Sancho or saying we should buy him doesn't shit on the achievements of the current squad.

Our front three have done great, but can we really hope to drag another 2 or 3 years out of them? Salah and Mane are pace players and they are approaching 30. That pace won't last forever. We need tricky forwards who beat players to open up defences and spaces for us, and we have to look to the future.

Evolution is buying a player like Sancho, he's young, gifted, quick, great passing ability and a better football brain than he gets credit for. 

18 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yes, he is. Will be a regular on the podium for Balon D'Ors in the years to come IMO. To say he's not a step up from those three is, frankly, laughable.

People just don't see it or don't want to see it mate. Somebody also asked if he can do it in England and the prem? I mean the kid played here all his life and was brought up on the English game, to think he won't come here and be a huge success is crazy. 

Klopp has already put Salah and Van Dijk in the running for the Balon D'or, if he coached Sancho over the next few years he would absolutely get him to that level. His record with forwards is amazing. Our only hope is the Manc Goblin has no clue and Sancho doesn't progress under him like he would under Klopp.

20 hours ago, Horus said:

You get Sancho if you've got a chance. If we don't get a couple of players who can carry the ball through the lines and commit defenders, then things are going to be grim next season. A signing that would likely see out the best years of is career here should be a no-brainer, but seems we've had a taste and now FSG think they've got another 30 years in the bank for us to win the odd cup. 

After the shit they pulled a couple of months ago, the fact they have the easiest lives of any owners is fucking laughable. 

Yeah i agree, players like him don't come around very often and working under Klopp for a few years would put us in a great position going forward. You can't just sit on what you have and run it into the ground and re-build from the bottom up. Sancho would work his way into our team and in the coming seasons be ready to take over from Mane or Salah.

I have backed the owners over the years but i do agree that they have the easiest of lives (compared to the other clubs). While i don't want our supporters protesting like those Manc dickheads, i do think they should spend money from their own pockets every once in a while. This is one of those times they should. They won't of course and we will miss out on the chance to sign an absolutely brilliant young player who would probably come to us if Klopp came calling. 

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Some rumours we are trying to sign Gravenberch from Ajax. Preferably for this season but if not, a Keita style agreement that sees us sign him next season but leaves him at Ajax for a season.

That’s the sort of thing we need to do more often. It’s the only way we are going to get these players. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Some rumours we are trying to sign Gravenberch from Ajax. Preferably for this season but if not, a Keita style agreement that sees us sign him next season but leaves him at Ajax for a season.

Where are you seeing that rumour? Admittedly I’ve only seen YouTube compilations but he looks like a real prospect.

I'd love Gravenbach - but not sure how much truth is in any of the rumours. 

Still not sold on Sancho - for a club in our current position, we could get a lot more value from looking elsewhere. Ikone and Daka, Mallen and Boadu, Brandt and Bailey, any number of choices will cost a lot less than £80m and a lot less than circa £300k a week in wages. And I trust Klopp to improve anyone who we do end up with. 

Just now, Jairzinho said:

If he was called Newhouse...

Nat Newhouse

Sounds ideal a 50s forward who bundles the keeper and ball over the line from the high cross. Very dangerous from a good delivery from winger in the WM formations. Watched him score loads on Pathè Sports

On a nerdier note, check out how Neuhaus compares statistically against a selection of midfield counterparts.

Wijnaldum vs Bissouma vs Neuhaus vs Barella vs Thiago vs Curtis

All statistics are from the respective domestic 2020/21 league seasons.

The reasons I've chosen the above players are:

Gini - Outgoing player to compare against

Bissouma - Probably linked to us more than any other current Premier League midfielder - (Could swap for Tielemens).

Neuhaus - Based on the above most recent link - (Also, a player that I mentioned as my preferred midfield target some time ago - Just saying...)

Barella - Arguably the midfielder with the best reputation we've been linked with out there on the internets.

Thiago - The actual Gini replacement?

Curtis - The future from within

I love the FBref site - Heaven for stats nerds...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

On a nerdier note, check out how Neuhaus compares statistically against a selection of midfield counterparts.

Wijnaldum vs Bissouma vs Neuhaus vs Barella vs Thiago vs Curtis

All statistics are from the respective domestic 2020/21 league seasons.

The reasons I've chosen the above players are:

Gini - Outgoing player to compare against

Bissouma - Probably linked to us more than any other current Premier League midfielder - (Could swap for Tielemens).

Neuhaus - Based on the above most recent link - (Also, a player that I mentioned as my preferred midfield target some time ago - Just saying...)

Barella - Arguably the midfielder with the best reputation we've been linked with out there on the internets.

Thiago - The actual Gini replacement?

Curtis - The future from within

I love the FBref site - Heaven for stats nerds...

Interesting stuff.  Wonder how Tielemans stacks up against them?

15 hours ago, an tha said:

I reckon that Watkins from Villa would do very well for us.

Unlikely given what they paid for him only a year ago, but i think he will be boss over next 3 years.

I reckon he's shite, him. 

Time will tell

• Upvote 1