You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

I'm going to guess that Klopp knows exactly what needs to be done to challenge for the big 2 trophies again this season coming.

I'm also going to guess he'll get it done.

Fuck what anyone else does.

• Upvote 5

I’m being fair and giving FSG the opportunity to get out in front here, but I’m warning them that the clock is ticking and at some point in the not too distant future I’ll be heading to the ‘Go Fuck Yourselves FSG’ thread to post “Buy somebody you cunts!”

22 minutes ago, m0e said:

I'm going to guess that Klopp knows exactly what needs to be done to challenge for the big 2 trophies again this season coming.

I'm also going to guess he'll get it done.

Fuck what anyone else does.

This.

Mbappe is in the last year of his contract. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that, knowing the fee demanded for him would be prohibitive to pretty much everyone, he lets his contract run down and signs a pre-contract with someone in January. Hopefully to a club with ties to Nike and a manager who knows his dad.

36 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For forwards, if you assume we'll have the same strategy we always do, which I'm not sure about but whatever, there's Dembele at Barca, Tsygankov at Dynamo Kiev, David Neres, Marcus Thuram at Gladbach and Leon Bailey at Leverkusen. 

Those are all versatile attackers who are under 25, have either a year or two left on their contracts and have seasons of 10+ goals in their past. 

And then there's Raphinha who is Premier League proven but is on a long contract. There aren't actually many logical Premier League attackers for us to buy this summer if you look at what we usually look for. 

How many years left on Kevin Abraham's contract? 

11 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Mbappe is in the last year of his contract. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that, knowing the fee demanded for him would be prohibitive to pretty much everyone, he lets his contract run down and signs a pre-contract with someone in January. Hopefully to a club with ties to Nike and a manager who knows his dad.

Dont worry, the Echo will keep printing articles about Lebron James influence that will help secure big signings like this.

Which basically consists of him wearing a Liverpool kit once every 8 months. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Remmie said:

How many years left on Kevin Abraham's contract? 

If you meant Tammuel Abraham, he has 2 years left. I left him off my list because it would probably behoove us not to help Chelsea pay for Haaland by buying a merely decent striker off them. Wouldn't say he's a great fit for us if you go by who we've bought in the past either. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

For forwards, if you assume we'll have the same strategy we always do, which I'm not sure about but whatever, there's Dembele at Barca, Tsygankov at Dynamo Kiev, David Neres, Marcus Thuram at Gladbach and Leon Bailey at Leverkusen. 

Those are all versatile attackers who are under 25, have either a year or two left on their contracts and have seasons of 10+ goals in their past. 

And then there's Raphinha who is Premier League proven but is on a long contract. There aren't actually many logical Premier League attackers for us to buy this summer if you look at what we usually look for. 

Wouldn't mind Leon Bailey. Think we would get him cheaper than the £35m he was touted at. Leverkusen missed out on the CL I think.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Really? These are world class athletes. Over the last few decades that has changed massively. It is ridiculous to suggest a 29 year old has any disadvantage over a 24 year old now.

This seems true on the surface, mostly because of a few well-known examples giving sample bias, but it is just not borne out by the data. Whether you look at total minutes played, shots/90, whatever, everything indicates that a footballer's peak is around 26-27.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not for a second implying that Mo is now rubbish and we should dump him. He is still one of the best footballers in the world, and will be in this upcoming season. It's just that his physical decline has now started. He will never be better than he is now, and in fact, while his decline will probably be minimal for a year, maybe two, after he reaches 31 he will slow down considerably. In certain positions, this isn't the end of the line, but for a wide forward who depends on his speed for most of his goals, if he loses even just a step, it's a huge blow.

Goalimpact, a measure of players' effectiveness against other similar level players, shows this:

png

But, as Michael Caley notes here, the effect is more dramatic for wide players who tend to peak slightly earlier than others:

As this chart shows, players generally peak between the ages of 25-28, but there are differences by position.

Wingers tend to peak and decline the earliest. Wide attackers under the age of 23 play more minutes than U-23 players at other positions, but wide attackers over 30 are much rarer than strikers or center-backs of an equally advanced age. While most of the curves are well on the downslope by 30, the curve for center-backs by contrast doesn't really begin to decline until 31 or 32.

This suggests a general rule. Players tend to get slower and generally lose athleticism as they age, but they also gain skills and know-how to balance that out. Positions that require the most athleticism are a young person's game, whereas older players will more often be found at positions that most prize guile.

Shots, another good measure of an attacking player's ability, shows the same decline post age 27 or so (data is a few years old but nothing major has changed since):

player_aging_shots_medium.jpg

6 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Dont worry, the Echo will keep printing articles about Lebron James influence that will help secure big signings like this.

Which basically consists of him wearing a Liverpool kit once every 8 months. 

I know it's bollocks, but fuck it, it's fun to imagine it could happen.

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yes, he is. Will be a regular on the podium for Balon D'Ors in the years to come IMO. To say he's not a step up from those three is, frankly, laughable.

I've only seen Sancho in little cameos but I'm struggling with the hype. How can Dortmund scrape into the top if Sancho and Halaand are so good? Why does it look like Utd have a clear run at Sancho? If he was all that then Dortmund aren't scraping around 5th and 6th all season and better teams than Utd at the table for him. This move will be 4th money motivated move in no time at all, similar career paths to bad eggs like Pogba and  Sterling.

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

I've only seen Sancho in little cameos but I'm struggling with the hype. How can Dortmund scrape into the top if Sancho and Halaand are so good? Why does it look like Utd have a clear run at Sancho? If he was all that then Dortmund aren't scraping around 5th and 6th all season and better teams than Utd at the table for him. This move will be 4th money motivated move in no time at all, similar career paths to bad eggs like Pogba and  Sterling.

Dortmund consistently play naïve football and have a bunch of talented kids and slightly above average veterans.  None of that is conducive to winning. It doesn't say anything about 21 or 20 year olds if they aren't winning the league or Champions League at that age. Individually speaking, Sancho is a very talented and prolific player. In terms of someone having a free run at him, he's going to cost lots of money. Only a few teams can afford him and not everyone wants to spend 100m on a 21 year old. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you meant Tammuel Abraham, he has 2 years left. I left him off my list because it would probably behoove us not to help Chelsea pay for Haaland by buying a merely decent striker off them. Wouldn't say he's a great fit for us if you go by who we've bought in the past either. 

We are talking about the same player but I most certainly 'meant' Kevin Abraham! 

I mentioned him for 2 reasons: as he seemed to vaguely meet the criteria in your previous post whilst most likely being available (perhaps not to us). Out of favour Chelsea striker to find his form at Liverpool has happened before. 2) I take an extremely vague interest in him because he'd be a third LFC player to share my birthday, not that I am actually that interested in us signing him. He should go to Dortmund to replace Haaland or maybe Leipzig.