You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

45 minutes ago, Jockey said:

That would be an entirely different situation. Your inability to see this is quite telling. 

It isn't. 

My point is, very soon we are going to run out of squad crap to sell in order to buy replacements for the first team

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

My point is, very soon we are going to run out of squad crap to sell in order to buy replacements for the first team

Nah, that wasn't your point. Your point was the owners are cunts. Its always that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Daisy said:

It's a pity your own brand of crap isn't on a shorter supply.

We'd probably only buy shite like that Chelsea reject Salah anyway, fucking waste of money that was.

According to you.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

If we sell Wilson, Grujic, Origi and Shaqiri and replace them with one quality attacking player we will be stronger next season for it.

5 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Those four contribute the square route of nowt. 

Shaqiri is class, just never clicked with Klopp.I hope he has an outstanding run with Switzerland and we get top dollar for him.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lee909 said:

We sure are going to miss those 640 odd minutes and 2 goals them 4 players produced between. Fuck how will we go on

That game at Lincoln could have been entirely different without those Shaq and Origi goals...

Well if we're not going to buy him, then we cannot expect him to stay there until his contract runs down. I cant see us spending VVD level money on a single player again until after Klopp leaves and they realise he was the glue holding the team together and getting more out of every player than most would be able to.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m less happy about this...

E79FC9E7-9EAE-48D5-9C4B-782BB5324824.png

The thing I don’t understand with Dortmund is that Haaland is the best young striker in the world, Sancho is the most promising winger going, Claudio Reyna’s boy is excellent, as is Bellingham. Then they’ve got some wise old heads like Reus and Hummels, and loads of squad players who are decent like Brandt, the Hazard brother, our old friend Emre, that other midfielder we nearly bought (forgot his name), etc, etc...

How come they aren’t really any good?

I watched a bit of them under Favre and they reminded me a bit of us under Rodgers. Technically good, easy on the eye, lethal on the counter, but very prone to conceding a stupid goal and collapsing.

No idea what the new boss is like. I get your point though. How are they still crap with all these supposedly world class players? The German league is pretty weak outside of Bayern, but earlier in the season it looked like they might actually miss out on Champions League football.

27 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

The thing I don’t understand with Dortmund is that Haaland is the best young striker in the world, Sancho is the most promising winger going, Claudio Reyna’s boy is excellent, as is Bellingham. Then they’ve got some wise old heads like Reus and Hummels, and loads of squad players who are decent like Brandt, the Hazard brother, our old friend Emre, that other midfielder we nearly bought (forgot his name), etc, etc...

Maybe loads of these players aren't actually as good as the hype? 

Leeds interested in Harry Wilson for £15m. Wouldn't be a bad bit of business really. Thought we would only get about £8m for him.

Also, Hertha Berlin are still interested in Marko Grujic. We want £12m for him. 

Still vague links to Raphinha and Cunha who play for both clubs interested in our players. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Leeds interested in Harry Wilson for £15m. Wouldn't be a bad bit of business really. Thought we would only get about £8m for him.

Also, Hertha Berlin are still interested in Marko Grujic. We want £12m for him. 

Still vague links to Raphinha and Cunha who play for both clubs interested in our players. 

We've had these Wilson rumours before haven't we. It normally seems to ends up the same way, we keep hearing Leeds will pay a number that seems to be something we'd want the then the reality is they've offered about half that. I think it's got to the point where we need to be fair with the lad and set a number someone might actually hit - he's 24 and needs to get on with having a career. Same with Grujic too. 

55 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

They are basically us under Evans. Hugely talented but inconsistent as fuck.

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've had these Wilson rumours before haven't we. It normally seems to ends up the same way, we keep hearing Leeds will pay a number that seems to be something we'd want the then the reality is they've offered about half that. I think it's got to the point where we need to be fair with the lad and set a number someone might actually hit - he's 24 and needs to get on with having a career. Same with Grujic too. 

We are being fair. He's played and played well in the Premier league, worse players will move for more money - most championship players are £15 -20m. I don't think we are expecting that now - but anything near £10m is fair. 

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

We are being fair. He's played and played well in the Premier league, worse players will move for more money - most championship players are £15 -20m. I don't think we are expecting that now - but anything near £10m is fair. 

He's not going for 15-20m in this market. And honestly if he was just market price, he'd have gone years ago. I agree something around 10m is fair. But I would guess from the DT post we are perhaps looking for 15m 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's not going for 15-20m in this market. And honestly if he was just market price, he'd have gone years ago. I agree something around 10m is fair. But I would guess from the DT post we are perhaps looking for 15m 

I read £8m so, £15m seems like a starting position. It think you are right - I'd be very surprised if we get that! We may value him higher if we use him in part exchange? But we tried holding out for the maximum last season and we got stuck with them - I'd accept £10m for all of Grujic, Shaq, Origi and Wilson! They need to go.

We turned down £12m for Wilson from Burnley last summer, you'd think if a bid like that came in again we'd take it.

Or if it's Leeds we could do a bit of creative accounting. £20m + Wilson for Raphinha, but it goes through as "separate" deals, where Wilson costs £15m and Raphinha costs £35m. We get a nice big book profit on Wilson, they get a profit on Raphinha. No difference in the amounts that actually change hands. Of course you end "paying" more in depreciation that way but if we're expecting revenues to increase after covid that's not too bad.

Or maybe now City have shown that FFP accounting is basically irrelevant we don't have to fuck around with year on year valuations and depreciation like this any more, who knows.

2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

They’re absolutely awful at the back, it’s been an issue for them for years now. 

3 hours ago, Jockey said:

I read £8m so, £15m seems like a starting position. It think you are right - I'd be very surprised if we get that! We may value him higher if we use him in part exchange? But we tried holding out for the maximum last season and we got stuck with them - I'd accept £10m for all of Grujic, Shaq, Origi and Wilson! They need to go.

8m sounds fair but as I say, that 15m quoted earlier just feels like a path we've been down before. We have a number that makes the cell go green in excel and unless it's met, we say no. That's pretty much what happened a couple of years back with Leeds and Wilson. And as @joe_fishfish points out, we dismissed a 12m bid from Burnley last summer - which I think also felt fair. 

As you say, 10m for each of those 4 would feel reasonable and give us some money (and wages) to play with. None of them contribute for various reasons and if we keep either of Grujic or Wilson I think it's time to give them a crack here. But we should be doing everything we can to get rid, Keita too. 

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

We turned down £12m for Wilson from Burnley last summer, you'd think if a bid like that came in again we'd take it.

Or if it's Leeds we could do a bit of creative accounting. £20m + Wilson for Raphinha, but it goes through as "separate" deals, where Wilson costs £15m and Raphinha costs £35m. We get a nice big book profit on Wilson, they get a profit on Raphinha. No difference in the amounts that actually change hands. Of course you end "paying" more in depreciation that way but if we're expecting revenues to increase after covid that's not too bad.

Or maybe now City have shown that FFP accounting is basically irrelevant we don't have to fuck around with year on year valuations and depreciation like this any more, who knows.

Well I think the message city have shown us all if you're going to break ffp rules, don't get caught till it's time barred. If uefa have anything about them, they would be removing that clause or at least removed it if a club has provided falsified info as city appeared to do.