You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

I can see this decision coming back to haunt us. Alisson has a pretty rough injury record especially for a goalkeeper. I can see Adrian playing at least 5-10 premier league/champions league games, I just hope they don't come at a time when we're playing the big boys. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

He's third choice. And not a bad one at that.

What would you do instead?

If Kelleher is going to be No2 then fine, if he's getting loaned out then it's a nightmare. Kelleher would play in the cups and Allison normally has about 10 games out injured.

Would get Ben Foster or another more half decent reliable experienced keeper. Adrian makes too many mistakes and panics the whole defence when he plays. Can't rely on him not to fuck up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Is everyone just deciding that Kelleher is going out on loan? Because that isn't what I have read, not inferred from Adrian signing a new contract. 

Really? Im sure I read it somewhere that the club was looking to loan Kelleher out for game time and development which he isnt going to get sat on the bench here.

And I personally doubt Adrian would be signing a new contract to be number 3 here but we'll see how it pans out.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

He really isn't.

We had worse in goal in the CL Cup final.

Have you ever seen Brad Jones or Bogdan play?

I reckon there are at least 5 worse 1st team keepers in the league right now.

Has anyone? 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

If Kelleher is going to be No2 then fine, if he's getting loaned out then it's a nightmare. Kelleher would play in the cups and Allison normally has about 10 games out injured.

Would get Ben Foster or another more half decent reliable experienced keeper. Adrian makes too many mistakes and panics the whole defence when he plays. Can't rely on him not to fuck up.

Yeah agree with that. Romero would be another I like. Someone that can do a job and you would feel reasonably secure in them.

Last thing we want is a goalkeeping crisis next year with Ali out injured for say two months - the one time we would get a bit of luck with our outfield players and Adrian costing us points in a tight title race. Adrian seems like a good lad and he would have fitted the profile before but his confidence looks shot to shit and that's a dangerous place for a goalie at a club with our hopes and pressures. 

Curtis Jones, Kelleher and Elliott were the few bright sparks last season and if we could have players of their quality coming into the first team on a regular basis, it would be a good position to be. 

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Get Grabara back.....

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

Would Grabara potentially be back next season?

Edit: great minds.

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I always liked him good keeper. Confident lad.

I had it in my head that he was on an extended loan, but according to Transfermarkt, his loan deal with AGF expires at the end of this month.

Overview

Season stats

Looks to have had a decent season in Denmark, especially during the regular league season - Looks like they struggled in the Championship stage of the season.

image.png.a3106604a4df5f32bb389443274e6ae0.png

4 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Would like Kelleher to get a good loan spell. He is a very good talent, but a season on loan like Henderson got at Sheffield United would stand to him big time. 

With Ali being injury prone, it definitely makes sense to have him easily recalled though because a few weeks with Adrian could derail a season. 

That's why I think we need to replace kelleher if he's loaned. The difference kelleher made when he took over as number 2 was noticeable. Maybe if VVD is back we can make do with Adrian again, but he's become a fucking disaster and I'm not sure we can be sure Ali can play all season. 

3 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Ben foster would be a decent shout as a number 2 for a year if we loan out kelleher. Is he available free? He must be late 30s now though? He seems to have been playing since the last century! 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

That's why I think we need to replace kelleher if he's loaned. The difference kelleher made when he took over as number 2 was noticeable. Maybe if VVD is back we can make do with Adrian again, but he's become a fucking disaster and I'm not sure we can be sure Ali can play all season. 

Ben foster would be a decent shout as a number 2 for a year if we loan out kelleher. Is he available free? He must be late 30s now though? He seems to have been playing since the last century! 

Still at Watford but there was an article on the bbc website that said Man City were interested in him as being a back up to Ederson. 

He's been at Watford since 2018. Would be good for the homegrown quota too.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Still at Watford but there was an article on the bbc website that said Man City were interested in him as being a back up to Ederson. 

Watford got promoted didn't they? Was he playing for Watford last season?

30 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Without getting all Liverpool Echo here, Kelleher just like Jones and Elliott could be genuinely top players in a few years. I agree with you, we need a genuinely decent number 2 like Foster or Romero if we loan Kelleher. Maybe one of the young lads and a goalie of that experience as number 2.

For the long term, Kelleher having a season on loan in the premier league or one of the top European leagues would surely make sense, but if we are stuck with Adrian as number 2, then that's a serious worry for next season. I'd like to see Kelleher make a mistake or two and recover from it elsewhere, because that is the difference between a good/very good keeper and a great one like Ali. The players and management clearly like him a lot and I think he could be top class but a goalie's attitude and ability to come through a rough patch is probably more important than any other position on the pitch with the exception of maybe a record signing striker.

16 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Just wait until he matures he’ll be a top keeper! (He’s about the same age as Pepe btw.)