You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

How the fuck did we beat that milan side i'll never know

If ever a game should have been dead and buried on paper it was that one

Dida

Maldini

Nesta

Stam

Cafu

Gattuso

Seedorf

Pirlo

Kaka

Shevchenko

Crespo

vs

Dudek

Finnan

Hyypia

Carra

Traore

Xabi

Gerrard

Garcia

Riise

Kewell

Baros

rafa-benitez-magic.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Upvote 12

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Dida

Maldini

Nesta

Stam

Cafu

Gattuso

Seedorf

Pirlo

Kaka

Shevchenko

Crespo

vs

Dudek

Finnan

Hyypia

Carra

Traore

Xabi

Gerrard

Garcia

Riise

Kewell

Baros

You'd find it hard to hand pick a better starting 11 from world football than the Milan side in 2005.

Truly a miracle in Istanbul.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

You'd find it hard to hand pick a better starting 11 from world football than the Milan side in 2005.

Dida was never really any good, which worked for us on the night. 

And you could easily improve on Gattuso, although he did bring balance to their midfield, he probably wouldn't have got in ours.  The rest of them though, yeah, fucking hell.  They were all pretty much at the peak of their powers too.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I thought the same when Chelsea signed Shevchenko and Ballack. Seemed nailed on to make a great side nigh on unbeatable; things rarely work out that way.

And don't forget the arrival of Schevchenko precipitated the end of Mourinho's first term at Chelsea. Abramovich is said to be ready to dump another 200 million to "strengthen" the squad, likely including some of the Russkie's favourites. Who to play and who to leave out will be the question for Tuchel the second time around!

2 hours ago, m0e said:

Seems to have been forgotten that PSV had them on the ropes in their semi,only a 90th minute away goal put Milan in the final and there was still time for PSV to score again to make it 3-1 on the night and 3-3 on agg.

From the Guardian,

"AC Milan go through by the skin of their teeth, despite PSV's fantastic effort. What a finish that was! PSV's players are distraught - they were undoubtedly the better team tonight, they totally outclassed and out-passed Milan over two legs and still went crashing out of the tournament. Liverpool can count their blessings that they're not playing PSV in the final - they'll have a much better chance against an out-of-sorts Milan team like this one. If the Rosoneri play this badly in the final, Liverpool will hammer them, even with 10 men behind the ball and just the one up front. PSV's skill, technique, attitude and spirit was fantastic ... and they're out. That's football, I suppose."

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Dida

Maldini

Nesta

Stam

Cafu

Gattuso

Seedorf

Pirlo

Kaka

Shevchenko

Crespo

vs

Dudek

Finnan

Hyypia

Carra

Traore

Xabi

Gerrard

Garcia

Riise

Kewell

Baros

I’d forgotten, but watching some Istanbul footage the other day, I was reminded that they brought on Rui fucking Costa as sub! World class players in every position and some on the bench!

9 hours ago, m0e said:

Okay, confession time: At half-time, 3-0 down, I had a very slight doubt that we were going to get back into it. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Kane is better suited to their style of football. I'm not 100% sure on Haaland in a Guardiola side. They also need to add more home grown players to their squad, so I can see why they would go for Kane and Grealish .

The best we can hope for is that they smash the transfer record for Kane and then Kane smashes his ankles. 

I've heard City are interested in a striker who plays for Frankfurt, who has scored more goals in the Bundesliga than Haaland. 

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

Kelleher is too good not to play. If it's possible to send him out on loan with an option to bring him back immediately if Allison is injured, it would make sense.

I think some of the LFC journos were saying the club were looking at that. I'm not sure I subscribe to a point of view that any kid with probably less than 10 games is too good to sit on the bench, but equally I don't think there's much doubt players need games to improve. With alissons injury record though, if we loan out kelleher, we need to replace him as we absolutely have to have 3 keepers (as this past season has shown). 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The plan is to loan him out to get games.

Can see Kelleher going out on loan - the question will be, on loan to whom?

We've got a couple of good young keepers who could push for a place in the first-team squad as understudies to Alisson and Adrian - Pitaluga and Ojrzynski are well thought of. Pitaluga would likely be closer to the first team than Kuba. Plus, we have Jaros out on loan until the end of this year.

We also have the returning Karius, though you'd obviously expect us to try and offload the German during the Summer window. However, if we can't, then it's plausible that we keep him around until the Winter window, at which point Vitezslav Jaros returns from his loan spell at St. Patricks.

I think top-flight teams definitely need at least 3 keepers in the first-team, with at least 2 being senior pros. I love the idea of carrying an old head in an emergency too, as we did with Andy Lonergan during the title-winning season. If Adrian's option was not being picked up, I'd have been very happy for us to have taken a look at Ben Foster as the experienced backup to Alisson.

31 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Can see Kelleher going out on loan - the question will be, on loan to whom?

We've got a couple of good young keepers who could push for a place in the first-team squad as understudies to Alisson and Adrian - Pitaluga and Ojrzynski are well thought of. Pitaluga would likely be closer to the first team than Kuba. Plus, we have Jaros out on loan until the end of this year.

We also have the returning Karius, though you'd obviously expect us to try and offload the German during the Summer window. However, if we can't, then it's plausible that we keep him around until the Winter window, at which point Vitezslav Jaros returns from his loan spell at St. Patricks.

I think top-flight teams definitely need at least 3 keepers in the first-team, with at least 2 being senior pros. I love the idea of carrying an old head in an emergency too, as we did with Andy Lonergan during the title-winning season. If Adrian's option was not being picked up, I'd have been very happy for us to have taken a look at Ben Foster as the experienced backup to Alisson.

97116a282e1304040b240a26ab025446.gif

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, elvis said:

Fuckin ridiculous that , truly one of the worst goalies I have ever seen . 

Shocking decision.

He really isn't.

We had worse in goal in the CL Cup final.

Have you ever seen Brad Jones or Bogdan play?

I reckon there are at least 5 worse 1st team keepers in the league right now.

Would like Kelleher to get a good loan spell. He is a very good talent, but a season on loan like Henderson got at Sheffield United would stand to him big time. 

With Ali being injury prone, it definitely makes sense to have him easily recalled though because a few weeks with Adrian could derail a season. 

As I read it and if Kelleher secures a loan move, Adrian will be Alli's back up. Im not sure I agree any of the U23 keepers will be pushing for a 1st team squad place if all the above works out and we'd look to bring in another Lonergan type back up.

The fact Jurgen has sanctioned another deal for Adrian tells you he's happy to go with him.