You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Echo reckon we've been offered a chance to re-sign Coutinho, according to the Spanish press. Not sure which Spanish paper as I couldn't be arsed reading the article. 

it said that they still owe us 40m so to clear the debt they have offered him back to us in return we wipe the debt. Might be a good deal but nah we will have the cash ta 

6 hours ago, andyj said:

it said that they still owe us 40m so to clear the debt they have offered him back to us in return we wipe the debt. Might be a good deal but nah we will have the cash ta 

Take him back then re-sell him....

• Upvote 2

The thing is we have actually needed a player like Coutinho, since Coutinho left. Didn't go after Fekir for nothing and surprisingly never went after another similar type of player after that. It makes a big difference to have a consistent goal scorer from midfield so we aren't so reliant on the front 3 (really just on the front two given what Firmino is now). Problem is you'd would rather someone like Coutinho, who isn't actually Coutinho.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

The thing is we have actually needed a player like Coutinho, since Coutinho left. Didn't go after Fekir for nothing and surprisingly never went after another similar type of player after that. It makes a big difference to have a consistent goal scorer from midfield so we aren't so reliant on the front 3 (really just on the front two given what Firmino is now). Problem is you'd would rather someone like Coutinho, who isn't actually Coutinho.

He was an awful midfielder though. A great wide forward if a touch inconsistent. However in midfield he was no good.

• Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He was an awful midfielder though. A great wide forward if a touch inconsistent. However in midfield he was no good.

An awful midfielder? His best form undoubtedly came when Jurgen started playing him more centrally.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He was not awful. Particularly towards the end he played very well as the most advanced midfielder. No he wasn't someone who got stuck in or gave you much defensive work, but the trade off is he gave way more attacking drive than any midfielder we have now or since. Basically what you expect from a typical number 10 attacking mid.

In fact IMO he was far more inconsistent when played wide, because he simply did not have the speed required.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

I like the look of Calhanoglu on youtube. Got plenty about him. Not sure why he isn't generating more excitement unless he's a bit inconsistent. Can he press?

There's only one midfielder I'd want from AC Milan, and it's Bennacer.

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

It says we sold the debt on somehow?

you can tell its silly season different rags/websites saying totally different things. If it was down to the media etc would have signed over 500m's worth of talent and be able to put 3 title challenging teams every week ........roll on 31st of August 

The Echo says no to Issahaku.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-abdul-fatawu-issahaku-transfer-20711169

Looks like he won’t save us millions.

Seems very strange other journalists are saying it’s done, commenting on his work permit, saying we’re loaning to Sporting - so all quite far down the line - for it to be denied.

14 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If the get a decent offer he will go but who's going to match them wages or pay a decent fee in the current climate

Yeah, but they've a history of offloading players and paying wages, so who knows what they're thinking. 

12 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Echo reckon we've been offered a chance to re-sign Coutinho, according to the Spanish press. Not sure which Spanish paper as I couldn't be arsed reading the article. 

The echo reported it as Barca not wanting to pay us the last 50m, so they would let us have him for free, but it wouldn't work for us as we've already sold the debt to get the cash previously. I'm not sure either end of the story makes much sense. They were loaning him out at about 9/10m per season and he has 2 years left on his deal. So they've already set a market rate and that was pre pandemic. And coutinho is only about a year younger than thiago - we put a marker in the ground for how much we were willing to pay and the rough market rate for a top player last year. And coutinho has barely shown any form since he left us. 

Our game has moved on a fair bit since Coutinho left. Given how they rinsed us for Suarez, pretty hilarious that he became the most disastrous signing in Barcelona's history, effectively facilitating us buying Alisson and Van Dijk. 

Great that he scored against Barcelona while on loan with Bayern too, as Barcelona's spoilt brat fans were booing him from a couple of games into his time with them. 

• Upvote 2

That debt sale thing with Coutinho surely isn’t true.

I struggle to believe we’ve sold the debt to a 3rd Party to reclaim.

Given areas of my wider team at work look at debt sale, assets of it are sold for like 5p in every pound and if the outsourced company get a money back, the money is split in their favour.

I’m not saying for a second we wrote off £40m to get £800k back, if we did it, I’m sure if true, it would have been on way better terms than that, I fundamentally don’t believe it’s true. 

17 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Our game has moved on a fair bit since Coutinho left. Given how they rinsed us for Suarez, pretty hilarious that he became the most disastrous signing in Barcelona's history, effectively facilitating us buying Alisson and Van Dijk. 

Great that he scored against Barcelona while on loan with Bayern too, as Barcelona's spoilt brat fans were booing him from a couple of games into his time with them. 

This team still badly misses a reliable offensive producer in midfield, and there has been plenty of criticism of the front 3 for the offensive struggles, but the complete lack of offensive contributions from our midfield puts way too much pressure on the front 3 to deliver goals and assists. Almost every other team around us in the table get far more offensive contributions from their midfield. We are lucky we have our full backs to help supply chances. But a team like City can lose one or two attacking players and be fine. If Salah or Mane goes down, we better be far and away the best defensive team in the league.

Not saying Coutinho is the answer, but we went after Fekir for a reason, someone with a similar skillset, but maybe better defensive contributions. I feel like there's not too many of those players around that can consistently get you double digit goals from midfield.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

That debt sale thing with Coutinho surely isn’t true.

I struggle to believe we’ve sold the debt to a 3rd Party to reclaim.

Given areas of my wider team at work look at debt sale, assets of it are sold for like 5p in every pound and if the outsourced company get a money back, the money is split in their favour.

I’m not saying for a second we wrote off £40m to get £800k back, if we did it, I’m sure if true, it would have been on way better terms than that, I fundamentally don’t believe it’s true. 

Barce just need to get their mum to say they don’t live there anymore and wait about 5 years for them to stop asking for the money back.

1 hour ago, Dundalis said:

This team still badly misses a reliable offensive producer in midfield, and there has been plenty of criticism of the front 3 for the offensive struggles, but the complete lack of offensive contributions from our midfield puts way too much pressure on the front 3 to deliver goals and assists. Almost every other team around us in the table get far more offensive contributions from their midfield. We are lucky we have our full backs to help supply chances. But a team like City can lose one or two attacking players and be fine. If Salah or Mane goes down, we better be far and away the best defensive team in the league.

Not saying Coutinho is the answer, but we went after Fekir for a reason, someone with a similar skillset, but maybe better defensive contributions. I feel like there's not too many of those players around that can consistently get you double digit goals from midfield.

He's not an exact match, but with Fabinho and Henderson behind him next season, we might see more of that from Thiago.