You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Not signing a midfielder would simply be a numbers thing. We have 7, and no matter how unreliable some of those are, that is still a sufficient number. It's not surprising we'd allegedly have to get rid of one (besides Gini) to sign one. It's bullshit but it's not a surprise.

We might not be in for Bissouma but we might try to get a younger or lesser known midfielder with more defensive ability than Jones, Ox or Keith. I’m not sure how much Klopp would hope to sufficiently improve the all round games of those 3 even if they were all fit.

So we are looking to go into a seaon with injury issues in midfield with Hendo, Ox and Keita,plus Mane,Salah and Keita heading to the ACON in January. 

What could possibly go wrong. 

Looking forward to see us lining up against City in January with Jota,Firmino and Elliot up top

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

So we are looking to go into a seaon with injury issues in midfield with Hendo, Ox and Keita,plus Mane,Salah and Keita heading to the ACON in January. 

What could possibly go wrong. 

Looking forward to see us lining up against City in January with Jota,Firmino and Elliot up top

Injury issues in midfield?! Fuck me, the season hasnt started yet. I dont know how some people make it through the day.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not signing a midfielder would simply be a numbers thing. We have 7, and no matter how unreliable some of those are, that is still a sufficient number. It's not surprising we'd allegedly have to get rid of one (besides Gini) to sign one. It's bullshit but it's not a surprise.

At the moment it's three from Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones and Milner, and you'd want the first three for most games. 

Maybe keep Ox as he potentially offers something different between the lines, but there's no good reason on earth to keep Keita. It's not like his value is going to grow. 

I don't think the club plans will even be fully-formed at this point. With the Euros bringing the potential of injuries for our lot and the emergence of new poshibilities , along with the ongoing rehab of the central defenders and seeing who is interested in our available players , I can see us keeping very quiet until mid / late July once Konate gets his lean on.

The transfer window is back in line with Europe this year , June 9th to August 31st.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Injury issues in midfield?! Fuck me, the season hasnt started yet. I dont know how some people make it through the day.

Pretty fucking obvious what I'm saying. 

Hendo is getting injured more often these days and Keita and Ox have proven time and time again they can't stay fit. So nearly half the midfield is a injury concern. After watching us nearly sacrifice and Champions league place because we relied on two CB staying fit all year it not a shock people don't like it. 

There will be a lot of skint clubs in Holland, Portugal, Spain, France and Italy who aren't in the CL who will accept less for their sought after players.

Only problem is that it makes shifting our unwanted players harder. 

Gravenberch from Ajax has been linked to us a few times 

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Id buy Aarons from Norwich for full back cover and then have the option for Trent to have some games in mid

If we beef up the central defender stocks I reckon Gomez will go back to covering both sides to get games.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

At the moment it's three from Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones and Milner, and you'd want the first three for most games. 

Maybe keep Ox as he potentially offers something different between the lines, but there's no good reason on earth to keep Keita. It's not like his value is going to grow. 

I'd get rid of Keita by any means necessary. Loan, cut price deal, whatever. But I think the reality is that we'll stick to a valuation or he's staying.

Just now, Lee909 said:

He would be terrible in our system as a FB

He played there often enough , not ideal as you say , but defensively sounder , gives TAA a rest and Neco hasn't trained on at this point. Not sure what is happening with Tsimikas on the other side , was it just injuries or are we getting rid ?

30 minutes ago, kemskem said:

We might not be in for Bissouma but we might try to get a younger or lesser known midfielder with more defensive ability than Jones, Ox or Keith. I’m not sure how much Klopp would hope to sufficiently improve the all round games of those 3 even if they were all fit.

Valverde (No idea if he is younger than Bissouma or not) 

21 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, I'd have no problem keeping Ox if we sold Naby and signed a midfielder with the physical capacity to play football regularly. We're going to be light if we go into the season with Milner, Ox and Keita backing up the other 4 though, because Hendo's availability may be touch and go again as well. Way too risky and unncessarily so after this season.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Still seems to be a lot of chatter about Neuhaus. I’d be happy to see him come in.

I don’t think he’s all that if I’m honest. A tidy enough footballer but there are plenty better in the PL. 

The owners have been very keen to point out that covid has left our finances significantly worse off, but that only works as an excuse for under-investment if you ignore the fact that 99% of clubs are in an even worse position than we are. A retreating tide strands all ships even if they want to pretend our yacht is the only one affected.

It won't' stop people panicking and thinking the worst - the club said the same things last year! Although, to be fair they said the same in 2019 as well. If Origi and Shaq move on, we'll get a forward - and I think it is clear that Origi and Shaq will be moved on. Same with Grujic and Wilson. That young lad up front as well - he'll be moved on. I think of the two a forward is more important, we need to replace Origi in the squad - by that I mean a forward who can contribute. We can cope with the midfield - Fab, Hendo, Jones, Thiago, Milner, and Bobby with a slight change in formation is enough. And Ox and Keita if fit. 

I am not sure 'not a big summer' equals we ain't bringing nobody in. I think the fact they specifically pointed to Sancho suggests that they will improve the squad but no big signing.