You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

I know it sounds mad but I genuinely believe that Mbappe could be bought.

The owners are investors - buy him now for £120-150m and you still have an asset worth at least that in 3 years.

His wages will be £400, even £500k a week but Keita Origi Shaq are eating up more than half that and offering next to zero. 

Shirt sales would improve, the age profile drops, the value of the club soars. There are so many reasons that it makes sense.

If it took a few sales and even Mané it would be worth it. 

10 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I wouldn’t sell Mane for all the tea in Yorkshire. He is top class and an off season isn’t going to change that. Class is permanent. 

Ok, let's explore this.

Which player, in their prime, with no injuries to speak of, and having hit 20+ goals 2 seasons running for CL and title winners, has ever had such a fall in form?

I can't name 1. Genuinely.

He's been absolute garbage for 5 months now. Not even close to anything we know he's capable of.

And I can't see him coming back.

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Ok, let's explore this.

Which player, in their prime, with no injuries to speak of, and having hit 20+ goals 2 seasons running for CL and title winners, has ever had such a fall in form?

He's been absolute garbage for 5 months now. Not even close to anything we know he's capable of.

Lots of our team has been a bit shit. Get the full team together and we will be back. I honestly think Mane is boss and will be back. Selling him at the bottom would be madness I reckon. I mean, if we can get somebody amazing and young then maybe it makes sense, but I don’t see it happening so I’d stick with him. 

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Ok, let's explore this.

Play them in to the ground on the way up and sell them quick on the way down. It’s ruthless but any great manager would do it. 

If we could sell Mane and bring in Sancho then i'd be all for it

Sadio has been brilliant but all of the front three are at a point that you sell them now or you don't get a return. All entering the last big contract they'll get too. I dont think Sancho get enough credit for the numbers he produces, constantly read he's unproven or overrated 

145 games 68 assists and 54 goals

Thats not starting in the lower leagues, thats starting straight at the top level and producing massive numbers

31 minutes ago, m0e said:

TBF that is a pretty tight Venn - there may only be one.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Lots of our team has been a bit shit. Get the full team together and we will be back. I honestly think Mane is boss and will be back. Selling him at the bottom would be madness I reckon. I mean, if we can get somebody amazing and young then maybe it makes sense, but I don’t see it happening so I’d stick with him. 

None of our team have fallen off a cliff this season other than Mane.

He's been shocking for 5 months now.

Name the players. I'm all ears.

Which players are you genuinely looking at, thinking 'what the fuck has happened to him!?'

Bobby maybe, but that's been the story for 18 months. Possibly more.

And that's evidence against Mane coming back to form, surely?

I get the hope. And the love for him. And the desire to see him come back.

But I don't see it.

What would help is one example of where a player has fallen off so badly and come back.

And attacking player with similar numbers to Mane.

One who's been consistently great, in both performances and numbers for 2 and half, 3 years.

In his peak, age wise.

No career threatening injures.

A top class player.

One who's gone form 2x 25 goal seasons to 10.

(And most of the 10 came when he was still in form, by the way.)

I can't think of any.

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Name them? Which players are you genuinely looking at, thinking 'what the fuck has happened to him!?'

But I don't see it.

What would help is one example of where a player has fallen off so badly and come back.

One who's been consistently great, in both performances and numbers for 2 and half, 3 years.

In his peak, age wise.

A top class player.

I can't think of any.

You're right that not many bounce back. I wonder if he needs a change of scene, so much of his play still looks good. It's all those key decisions that have gone to shit. I won't be upset if mane is still here next year, but he's played badly for long enough for it to be a concern. And bobby's form has been rough for 2 years. There's no doubt we need another forward who's not Origi to put some pressure on. The fact the lad has said himself he's been and had a physical check out to understand what's wrong, is he knows things are wrong. 

I wouldn't be desperate for mane to go, but if it meant we got an absolute real talent, it seems a gamble worth taking.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

Which players are you genuinely looking at, thinking 'what the fuck has happened to him!?'

But I don't see it.

In his peak, age wise.

A top class player.

I can't think of any.

Andy Robbo, Thiago, Trent had a terrible spell, Bobby also. They’re not all the same (I never said they were, so obviously I’m not going to start giving you equivalents), no player is, but he has had a horrible patch. It doesn’t mean he’s shit and needs to be sold. I think he will stay, so until we see how he is next season, we won’t know. 

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Play them in to the ground on the way up and sell them quick on the way down. It’s ruthless but any great manager would do it

I appreciate that point and I do agree with it, IMO, Mane has just had a bad time and will be back. 

Given what Mane has given us over the past couple of seasons, unless we’re maybe signing Sancho or Mbappe, ditching Mane is an incredible gamble. 

32 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Andy Robbo, Thiago, Trent had a terrible spell, Bobby also. They’re not all the same (I never said they were, so obviously I’m not going to start giving you equivalents), no player is, but he has had a horrible patch. It doesn’t mean he’s shit and needs to be sold. I think he will stay, so until we see how he is next season, we won’t know. 

Like I said, I have no problem with the hope.

But don't tell me Robbo and Trent have had form like Mane's. No chance.

Thiago has had ups and downs while being out for 3 months in a new league. In that time, Mane has been just downs.

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Still a pretty tight Venn as the age needs to match up - Anelka? 

Are you saying the Venn is tight with regards to players who have fallen off a cliff?

That's my exact point.

The Venn is massive when it comes to top quality who have never fallen off, though.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

But I don't see it.

In his peak, age wise.

A top class player.

I can't think of any.

Bernardo Silva's form fell off a cliff last season in a similar ways to Manè's. He's back at the same level he was for the 2 years prior to that now.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

But I don't see it.

In his peak, age wise.

A top class player.

I can't think of any.

VVD has done fuck all sine the beginning of October.

What the fuck is anyone seeing in Kabak that’s better than Phillips. 

The lads carried us for weeks and has grew in confidence week after week and should be rewarded for it yet all I see is he should be punted so we can blow half our budget on some kid who can’t run or defend and someone they’ve never seen play who can’t stay fit for 2 weeks.

Scousers say Phillips stays. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

What the fuck is anyone seeing in Kabak that’s better than Phillips. 

The lads carried us for weeks and has grew in confidence week after week and should be rewarded for it yet all I see is he should be punted so we can blow half our budget on some kid who can’t run or defend and someone they’ve never seen play who can’t stay fit for 2 weeks.

Scousers say Phillips stays. 

I think in a era where we are likely to see a push from the FA and government into forcing more and more English sides to have more British players in the squads i agree. In a normal year you'd say Kabak is worth the punt at 18ml as i don't think Phillips will ever have the pace to play for us, especially when Virgil is back as the line will push up even more. I think Gomez has to be on his last chance of being 1st choice with his injuries. I don't see us going in with more than 4 possibly 5 CB next season so keeping Phillips as the 4th rather than spending the 18ml that can likely be spent better elsehwere on Kabak probably makes sense. Especially when you need 8 Home grown players in the squad

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Red Hot said:

I Recall Rafa trying  to offload Alonso, what happened the following season, stick with Mane I would say .

How is that in anyway a similar scenario?

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Bernardo Silva's form fell off a cliff last season in a similar ways to Manè's. He's back at the same level he was for the 2 years prior to that now.

Are you seriously suggesting Bernardo Silva has similar numbers to Mane?!

Manes probably got more goals the last 2 seasons than Silva has his entire career!!

10 hours ago, m0e said:

Are you seriously suggesting Bernardo Silva has similar numbers to Mane?!

Manes probably got more goals the last 2 seasons than Silva has his entire career!!

It's not just Manè's numbers that disappeared, it was his overall game. He was like a hindrance at times, that is what I'm comparing with Bernardo Silva. 

What you're looking for doesn't exist, you're not comparing apples with apples. If a player had Manè's identical numbers in goals and assists  from 2014-2017 and then produced horrific numbers the following year that Manè did this year, you still couldn't use him as a comparison.  Unless that player was also trapped in his home like a prisoner for 15 months and played every game in empty stadiums. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

It's not just Manè's numbers that disappeared, it was his overall game. He was like a hindrance at times, that is what I'm comparing with Bernardo Silva. 

What you're looking for doesn't exist, you're not comparing apples with apples. If a player had Manè's identical numbers in goals and assists  from 2014-2017 and then produced horrific numbers the following year that Manè did this year, you still couldn't use him as a comparison.  Unless that player was also trapped in his home like a prisoner for 15 months and played every game in empty stadiums. 

Who said anything about identical numbers?

And who said anything about the years?

I'm talking the entire history of football.

You gave me one example.

A player who isn't even in the top 10 players at his club, let alone in the world.

Like Mane was 3 years in succession.

If there aren't any examples of players with Mane's numbers and the spectacular decline we saw this season, that's exactly my point.