You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Does anyone outside of PSG have the even reduced 50/60ml we would want for Mane and probably double for Salah

Think is aswell Sancho is going to want the 200k plus the mancs would pay him. 

I think the plan precovid would be to sell one of them this summer but Real and Barca don't have a pot to piss in so unless they sold someone not sure where theyd get the money from.  I think Mbappe will refuse a move or new deal and go to Real on a free on real knockdown in January, unless City or Chelsea make a massive offer and offer him the world in wages

Spurs once they've sold kane to Chelsea or the mancs. 

26 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I wouldn’t sell Mane for all the tea in Yorkshire. He is top class and an off season isn’t going to change that. Class is permanent. 

If it’s a choice between him and Sancho, you’d be mad not to. I can understand the reasoning in selling any of our forwards but the only one that’s irreplaceable is Salah. You sell him you have to change up your attacking play. 

5 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

If it’s a choice between him and Sancho, you’d be mad not to. I can understand the reasoning in selling any of our forwards but the only one that’s irreplaceable is Salah. You sell him you have to change up your attacking play. 

Ideally you’d like to see how he does in the PL first but I accept that in this case it wouldn’t be possible.

I agree with Ne Moe - I think we are likely looking at 3, but maybe someone like that young lad from Denmark, or Olise from Reading (I think he has a clause), as an investment, but that depends upon who we can shift. They may bring in utility player - right back/midfield! 

But I think, we are probably looking at 3 - through the spine. 

We could - use Mane in part ex with Dortmund? But, I'm not sure he is worth the £90m they are asking. Or more to the point - I am not sure anyone has got that! 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Ideally you’d like to see how he does in the PL first but I accept that in this case it wouldn’t be possible.

I’m sure he’d like a stint at Southampton to prove himself to you. MBappe needs a stint at West Brom too. You must have been crushed when we signed Alonso, Torres, Macherano, Reina, Suarez. Alisson. 

My point being, quality trumps Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing’s experience. Salah did shit at Chelsea, then great here. It’s about getting the right fit for the right position. This ‘player in England’ thing you always bang on about is little more than an added bonus. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m sure he’d like a stint at Southampton to prove himself to you. MBappe needs a stint at West Brom too. You must have been crushed when we signed Alonso, Torres, Macherano, Reina, Suarez. Alisson. 

My point being, quality trumps Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing’s experience. Salah did shit at Chelsea, then great here. It’s about getting the right fit for the right position. This ‘player in England’ thing you always bang on about is little more than an added bonus. 

Quality is the most important of course but there’s suitability to English football. We’ve seen plenty of example in the past of quality players who never settled in the EPL; Di Maria, Veron, Falcao, Keita. IMO the safest route is to let the players prove themselves capable of handling English football in a less pressurised environment like Southampton or Newcastle. 

1 hour ago, Jockey said:

Disagree with Mbappe because I can't fucking see Mbappe playing for Liverpool next season! 

agree id love to see him play for us but it's just not going to happen.  Why do we even poke that bear knowing we couldn't afford his wages let alone pay for half of what he is worth 

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Quality is the most important of course but there’s suitability to English football. We’ve seen plenty of example in the past of quality players who never settled in the EPL; Di Maria, Falcao, Keita. IMO the safest route is to let the players prove themselves capable of handling English football in a less pressurised environment like Southampton or Newcastle. 

Not sure that is a case of confusing causation and correlation though! 

Loads of players have come from English teams and not settled - Downing, Caroll are just two, Pennant, Bellamy, Keane all excelled at their clubs. The idea that you need to have played in the Premiership first was surely proved wrong when Arsenal won in 98 - they busted that myth. 

Sorry, the player is important - not where they come from. I am pretty confident that Sancho would prove to be a better signing than Grealish, and even Traore. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Quality is the most important of course but there’s suitability to English football. We’ve seen plenty of example in the past of quality players who never settled in the EPL; Di Maria, Falcao, Keita. IMO the safest route is to let the players prove themselves capable of handling English football in a less pressurised environment like Southampton or Newcastle. 

I know! It may have been a slight possibility pre-pandemic - but now it is just a pipe dream. 

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Quality is the most important of course but there’s suitability to English football. We’ve seen plenty of example in the past of quality players who never settled in the EPL; Di Maria, Veron, Falcao, Keita. IMO the safest route is to let the players prove themselves capable of handling English football in a less pressurised environment like Southampton or Newcastle. 

And miss out on all players way too good to do that? Not for me. We've seen as many players go from one English club to another and do poorly. It's not just about doing well in England, it's doing well at the club. Torres is a great example of that. Salah is a great example of that. It's not just about country, it's about suitability to a team and I think you mistake one for the other. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We will sign konate and probably two players youve heard of but they haven't pulled up any tree's, they could be alright but we won't lose too much money if they aren't. 

I really can't see any ambitious signings.

Not sure why that is an issue considering that that more or less describes, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Gini, Gomez, Matip, Bobby, Jota and the core of the team that has won the Champions league and league title! 

We'll buy a player that fits our model - young, with a high ceiling and potential to develop into world class. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Not sure why that is an issue considering that that more or less describes, Mane, Salah, Robertson, Gini, Gomez, Matip, Bobby, Jota and the core of the team that has won the Champions league and league title! 

We'll buy a player that fits our model - young, with a high ceiling and potential to develop into world class. 

Exactly! Funny as fuck (except I find it depressing) reading people say we dont sign players who pull up trees after what Mo, Sadio, Jota, Robbo etc have achieved here.

Seems a lot of people just want us to be a city or chelsea mark 2 making all these marquee signings when the club has been built on developing players into what they become. Fuck that shit.

2 hours ago, Jockey said:

It's not an issue because we have Klopp and as long as we have Klopp I'm not arsed.

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's not an issue because we have Klopp and as long as we have Klopp I'm not arsed.

The model will be the same for the next manager, and he'll be chosen on his ability to get the best out of that team.