You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wonder if we've already a deal done for Origi to somewhere. Odd that he isn't getting even a minute with our attackers running on empty and Jota injured. 

Fingers crossed.

I do wonder how much a statue of him would cost make. 

Kabak has a top speed in the Champions League this season of almost 33kph which is pretty fast. He’s clearly got pace. I think the issue is he can be a bit slow on the turn giving an attacker a bit of a head start making him look slower than he actually is. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/players/250103777--ozan-kabak/statistics/

He’s also very, very good in the air and I feel like that is clear just from watching him so I don’t know where the idea he’s poor in that area comes from. He’s rated as good as Konate in the air despite being shorter. He’s got a great leap on him.

This is from The Athletic article on Konate:

Aerial duels in open play and beating players one-on-one are where Konate excels, though. He’s already a good size to challenge anyone in the air but pairing that with a good leap makes him nearly unbeatable.

His rating of 92 out of 99 is similar to the likes of Van Dijk and Matip, and among players aged 21 and younger in Europe, only Nice’s Stanley Nsoki and current Liverpool man Ozan Kabak are deemed to be better duellers by smarterscout. That’s reinforced by Statsbomb data on fbref, as no player in the past year to date has won a higher proportion of their aerial duels than Konate’s 84.1 per cent.

He’s much better than Phillips imo and I’d definitely sign him. His biggest fault for me is his positioning which is why despite being dominant in the air and pretty quick it can sometimes look like he isn’t as he gets caught under the ball or out of position leaving himself with too much to do when he tries to catch the attacker. 

Positioning can be sorted though, it’s to be expected that positioning is a bit iffy with a young defender. Same with Trent as I see positioning as his biggest problem too defensively, just knowing when is the right time to go forward and when to drop back. But that will come as they get older. 

F42E3422-345E-4F59-86BD-752B5A3E5C24.png

Would you sign him even if we sign Konate, and it means we won’t get a midfielder and he’s be benched most of the time, Rapey? Because that’s how I see it. I mean, if it’s just a ‘sign him or not with no other factors’ then of course, it’s not my money. It’s only when you consider the other players we need that it becomes 20m we can put elsewhere. I’m thinking Gini’s replacement. 

I'd sign Kabak and Konate because it must be doubtful how available our injured CBs will be next season. Virgil and Joe are not going to be playing twice a week very often and we know all about Matip's record. If they recover well then we can look to sort out our CB surplus next year. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Would you sign him even if we sign Konate, and it means we won’t get a midfielder and he’s be benched most of the time, Rapey? Because that’s how I see it. I mean, if it’s just a ‘sign him or not with no other factors’ then of course, it’s not my money. It’s only when you consider the other players we need that it becomes 20m we can put elsewhere. I’m thinking Gini’s replacement. 

I think we can probably get him for lower than the £18mil in the agreement with Schalke with them being skint and relegated, especially if he tells them he only wants to come here. And for that price I think we’d be stupid not to sign him. 

Phillips has done great for us but he isn’t good enough, not for a team that wants to challenge City for the title and win the champions league again, so I’d sell him unless he’s happy to stay and just play in the domestic cups barring another injury crisis. And I think he deserves more than that. 

That’ll leave us with Matip, Gomez and Virg who are all coming off long term injuries (and in the case of Matip and Gomez seemingly incapable of playing a full season) and who may not be 100% ready for the new season. And Konate who has barely played this season and will take time to get up to speed. Kabak has already acclimatised to the Prem. 

Ideal world we’d get rid of Matip, even on a free but don’t know how realistic that is due to his wages. 

I’m expecting Konate, a centre mid circa £40mil like Bissouma and a forward of the quality of Mallen, someone for around £30-35mil. If that’s the case I’d like to think we could add Kabak to them considering we’re likely to have a few outgoings this summer. 

Obviously if we had a chance of signing someone like Sancho and we needed the Kabak money for that I’d be happy not to sign him but I don’t see a big money signing happening. 

James Pearce in the Athletic today wrote that we're "unlikely" to sign Kabak now. 

I do think he's decent for his age, but if we're signing that Konate lad then spending £18m on a 5th choice centre back might not make the most economic sense given we have other holes in the squad to fill such as Gini's replacement and, hopefully, an elite attacker. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think we can probably get him for lower than the £18mil in the agreement with Schalke with them being skint and relegated, especially if he tells them he only wants to come here. And for that price I think we’d be stupid not to sign him. 

Phillips has done great for us but he isn’t good enough, not for a team that wants to challenge City for the title and win the champions league again, so I’d sell him unless he’s happy to stay and just play in the domestic cups barring another injury crisis. And I think he deserves more than that. 

That’ll leave us with Matip, Gomez and Virg who are all coming off long term injuries (and in the case of Matip and Gomez seemingly incapable of playing a full season) and who may not be 100% ready for the new season. And Konate who has barely played this season and will take time to get up to speed. Kabak has already acclimatised to the Prem. 

Ideal world we’d get rid of Matip, even on a free but don’t know how realistic that is due to his wages. 

I’m expecting Konate, a centre mid circa £40mil like Bissouma and a forward of the quality of Mallen, someone for around £30-35mil. If that’s the case I’d like to think we could add Kabak to them considering we’re likely to have a few outgoings this summer. 

Obviously if we had a chance of signing someone like Sancho and we needed the Kabak money for that I’d be happy not to sign him but I don’t see a big money signing happening. 

I think we need to buy Haaland. That’s it. That’s all I’ve got. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think we need to buy Haaland. That’s it. That’s all I’ve got. 

We’d win more signing just Haaland than signing Bissouma, Konate and Mallen for a similar amount of money. 

Make me manager and I’ll make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

We've been linked with a young Ghanaian winger. Kamaldeen Sulemana. Looks rapid and a good prospect. But, a bit raw. 

He's 19. Playing for FC Nordsjælland in Denmark. Looks to be taking the same route into a major European league as his fellow country man, Mohammed Kudus, who moved from the same Right To Dream academy in Ghana then the same Danish club on to Ajax. Kudus looks a prospect too.

Sulemana has also been linked to the Mancs, Ajax and Bayer Leverkusen. He's said that he doesn't expect to be playing in Denmark next season and is said to be available for around £15m.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Dunno if you saw the new Pearce Athletic article, and it's not said in certain terms, but he hints that we're thinking of not signing Kabak, but we'll keep Phillips and even Davies. 

I think Kabak will stay if we decide to be cheap and don't pay Konate's clause. Otherwise, it seems we'll decide not to keep him. 

39 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Dunno if you saw the new Pearce Athletic article, and it's not said in certain terms, but he hints that we're thinking of not signing Kabak, but we'll keep Phillips and even Davies. 

I think Kabak will stay if we decide to be cheap and don't pay Konate's clause. Otherwise, it seems we'll decide not to keep him. 

Yeah I seen it but he could just be getting told that because they want it to look like we're not too bothered about signing him if we want to negotiate his price down. He's probably right though and we won't sign him because we're cheap and it'll be spun as giving Davies or Phillips a chance.

I think we need 5 CB for next season, VVD, Gomez, Matip and two others. This is mainly de to their injury records and the fact all three are coming back from major injuries. 

If we sign Konate, we would then need one more. 

A very simple (Football Manager) logic is if possible to get the same for Nat as we spend on Kabak, (I know agrent fees etc but go with me), I would rather have Kabak due to the fact IMO that Nat will never be good enough to start regularly for us, whereas Kabak has a lot more potential.