You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

City love the fact they have never broken the 70m mark* for any player. They won't entertain the idea of signing Kane. It's between Chelsea and Utd, Utd will pay £80m for him plus another 50m to shut up their fans. I can't see Chelsea paying that or indeed Kane going to them.

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

City love the fact they have never broken the 70m mark* for any player. They won't entertain the idea of signing Kane. It's between Chelsea and Utd, Utd will pay £80m for him plus another 50m to shut up their fans. I can't see Chelsea paying that or indeed Kane going to them.

City may not have broken that in cash, but I bet a few choice properties have come the way of player’s families from benevolent Middle East dignitaries.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

City may not have broken that in cash, but I bet a few choice properties have come the way of player’s families from benevolent Middle East dignitaries.

I can't see them trying that with Levy. He Will want cash, not a stake in an Uruguayan 2nd division side and seafront properties in Croatia. 

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The old Man City special of 300 grand a week plus a totally unrelated sudden offer from a certain airline offering 15 million a year as a consultant for a football academy they sponsor.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I'd be sorry to see Kabak go. He's a really good prospect at his age. 

Williams needs to be loaned out and as fine a footballer as he is whenever he plays, it's false economy keeping Joel Matip. 

It's a tough one with Kabak.

On the one hand, £18m for a player at his age with his ability is a snip, and I'm pretty sure we'll pay it. On the other, there's a lot of smoke for there to be no fire to the Konate rumours, and at £33m or whatever he's an even better deal, I'd say.

Perhaps we can find a buyer for Matip and then start the season with VVD, Gomez, Konate and Kabak as our 4 CBs? That would be ideal, and a huge improvement over this season, but that's £50m in fees and a lot of wages gone just in upgrading the defense, without thinking about replacing Gini or adding another top attacker. Unless we're expecting an awful lot from Jones and maybe Elliott, that seems quite risky, especially with the front 3 aging into the downward portion of their age curve.

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

On the one hand, £18m for a player at his age with his ability is a snip, and I'm pretty sure we'll pay it. On the other, there's a lot of smoke for there to be no fire to the Konate rumours, and at £33m or whatever he's an even better deal, I'd say.

Perhaps we can find a buyer for Matip and then start the season with VVD, Gomez, Konate and Kabak as our 4 CBs? That would be ideal, and a huge improvement over this season, but that's £50m in fees and a lot of wages gone just in upgrading the defense, without thinking about replacing Gini or adding another top attacker. Unless we're expecting an awful lot from Jones and maybe Elliott, that seems quite risky, especially with the front 3 aging into the downward portion of their age curve.

Unless we now all of a sudden believe in the talent of Phillips long term, it feels ridiculous not to buy Kabak. Konaté is an absolute project. Since his bizarre quad injury, or whatever it was, he's barely played for Leipzig and gets subbed off regularly. There's a pretty good chance if we buy Konaté, he's not contributing much next season, given what's happened to him this season.

I get why we'd sign him because he's a long term play and bet on immense potential, but it feels like it would be silly not to also get Kabak as insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Unless we now all of a sudden believe in the talent of Phillips long term, it feels ridiculous not to buy Kabak. Konaté is an absolute project. Since his bizarre quad injury, or whatever it was, he's barely played for Leipzig and gets subbed off regularly. There's a pretty good chance if we buy Konaté, he's not contributing much next season, given what's happened to him this season.

I get why we'd sign him because he's a long term play and bet on immense potential, but it feels like it would be silly not to also get Kabak as insurance.

Kabak after a horrendous start has been quite solid, but I don’t think he’s been better than Phillips. I’d keep Phillips as 5th choice and buy some one better to replace Kabak. 

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Kabak after a horrendous start has been quite solid, but I don’t think he’s been better than Phillips. I’d keep Phillips as 5th choice and buy some one better to replace Kabak. 

Phillips is 24, Kabak is 20. It's possibly not about who is slightly better right now, but who will be better in a few years. I'd also find it hard to believe the club would believe in Phillips as a squad option past this season. If he's going to be 5th choice, might as well do him a favour and sell him somewhere he'd play more.  

Anyway, our CB situation is completely muddled. It's hard to forecast what we'll do. 

8 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

23_normal_1465298043.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’m not seeing it with Kabak. He looks a promising enough player but he doesn’t have the pace to play for us with our high line.

I'd agree with this, we need 3 main attributes from our CB's and he doesn't have 2 of them. He will be a good player for someone no doubt but not for us. If we buy him it will be to make money from him.

59 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'd agree with this, we need 3 main attributes from our CB's and he doesn't have 2 of them. He will be a good player for someone no doubt but not for us. If we buy him it will be to make money from him.

He’d faster than Phillips and Williams.. he’s not rapid though, you’d struggle to find centre halfs as quick as Virge or Gomez.

I'm making an early shout on Carvalho from Fulham. Only seen him for 20 minutes yesterday but he done 2 or 3 things that looked a class above everyone else on the pitch. It will be a huge mistake not to sign him. 

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

So here's the question, because I've never watched enough of him, what is it about konate that gives him a higher bar than kabak? Considering they're if similar age and we've had a real close up look at kabak - and he seems to be a pretty decent player - what does konate do that would make someone think he would be better at about double the price? 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So here's the question, because I've never watched enough of him, what is it about konate that gives him a higher bar than kabak? Considering they're if similar age and we've had a real close up look at kabak - and he seems to be a pretty decent player - what does konate do that would make someone think he would be better at about double the price? 

He is much faster and better in the air (6'4) which is key to the way we play! 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He has size and pace galore - two things it is very difficult to make up for.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Konate is a couple inches taller and much faster. Both of them are decent on the ball and can carry the ball out of defense. In theory, he's the prototypical CB. 6 foot 4, athletic, pacey, good with the ball. Kabak is shorter and slower. 

• Upvote 1