You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Just now, Numero said:

I'd probably do the same to be honest. VVD, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Phillips. That's enough without spending another 18m on Kabak. 

No point even including him in these lists.

I'd actually be up for not signing Kabak if it meant we got a truly excellent ball winning midfielder instead. Wouldn't be worried about moving Fabinho into defence if we had someone else who could do what he does in the middle of the park.

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Wasn't there similar talk when utd signed another "injury prone" forward from a different north London team. 

2 seasons later, with a champions league trophy and a league title added to their collection, van persie was lauded as a utd great....... 

The price is only ever remembered or mentioned if the transfer doesn't succeed, Kane will succeed with any of the other top 4 teams in England. That's a fact

Van Persie was at Utd for 3 seasons. They won the league his first season but came 6th and 4th after that. They won no other major trophy and he was sold for £3m 

For £24m at the time, it was probably worth it to get a final league title for Ferguson but £150m? 

4 minutes ago, Numero said:

I'd probably do the same to be honest. VVD, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Fabinho, Phillips. That's enough without spending another 18m on Kabak. 

Matip can't be trusted to be available for 10 league games.

If this season has taught us and Klopp anything its we can't afford to be putting Fabinho into CB and taking him out of the midfield. 

6 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Matip can't be trusted to be available for 10 league games.

If this season has taught us and Klopp anything its we can't afford to be putting Fabinho into CB and taking him out of the midfield. 

We will still have VVD, Konate, Gomez, and Phillips, and we can’t just pretend Matip isn’t there. He’s an option. Only then is there the need for Fabinho to cover. I think with Henderson back, and I’m sure we are looking at another midfield player with somebody like AOC and or Shaq going. No need to spend on Kabak in my view. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he went nowhere. Levy will piss around demanding an astronomical sum as he won't want to give up his golden goose easily: the new manager will either want funds, which Levy will want to generate through Kane's sale, or he'll want to convince Kane to stay.

Either way, it's nice that the kind of Summer Saga™ that we used to have to contend with every year is falling elsewhere.

Also - wasn't there a rumour that we're trying to get Kabak for less than the initially agreed €18m fee, €9m or something, due to Schalke's relegation? Could be that we're trying to push the price down: we're signing Konate no matter what, but Phillips goes if we can negotiate a knockdown fee for Kabak, he stays as 4th choice if we can't.

1 minute ago, Manny said:

Also - wasn't there a rumour that we're trying to get Kabak for less than the initially agreed €18m fee, €9m or something, due to Schalke's relegation? Could be that we're trying to push the price down: we're signing Konate no matter what, but Phillips goes if we can negotiate a knockdown fee for Kabak, he stays as 4th choice if we can't.

Im not sure in that rumour we're trying it on with Schalke for even less €18m considering the original price was more than €25m.

I don't think Philips is good enough - but, maybe playing 5 - 10 games a season he is good enough for that role, but would he want that? I am really happy with Konate - but, I am worried about Gomez and Matip. It may be worth spending a bit of money on a player like Zakaria from Monchengladbach, as he can play CB and DM, or someone like Singo from Torino who we have been linked with as he can cover RB also. 

I suspect Philips would excel at a team like Palace or Brighton who defend their penalty area, but I'd rather we didn't focus upon him, If I am being picky. If money is tight then fair enough - but ideally I'd like two options next season. Just so that we don't have to use Fab there again. 

18 minutes ago, neko said:

Sell Phillips while his stock is high. Use Matip sparingly when needed. Keep Kabak and develop.

Done.

Matip as good he is is never fit and on a new contract. We should be getting rid, easier said than done. We still don’t know how VVD and especially Gomez will be when they return. Cannot have another season like this.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not sure in that rumour we're trying it on with Schalke for even less €18m considering the original price was more than €25m.

Pretty sure it was reported that the loan had an option at 18m and there was definitely talk of trying to do a deal at a cut rate due to relegation.

37 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Matip as good he is is never fit and on a new contract. We should be getting rid, easier said than done. We still don’t know how VVD and especially Gomez will be when they return. Cannot have another season like this.

VVD, Gomez, Konate, Kabak and Matip not enough ?

Might be right.

16 minutes ago, neko said:

VVD, Gomez, Konate, Kabak and Matip not enough ?

Might be right.

You never mentioned Konate though. We need five with huge doubts over fitness over at least 2 of those. Matip cannot be relied upon at all keep Philips as 5th choice and try getting rid of Matip. Matip is far superior to Philips but it means nothing if you’re never fit as you know. He will be on good wages too. Oh and buy Kabak or loan him again.

If Kabak was 4th choice next season I’d be happy with that, particularly given his age and the quoted price.

I can’t say the same for Natt Phillips. His efforts are to be applauded, but there’s no way he’s good enough. 

This assumes the signing of Konate and the possible sale of Matip (5th choice of this doesn’t happen).

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'd be sorry to see Kabak go. He's a really good prospect at his age. 

Williams needs to be loaned out and as fine a footballer as he is whenever he plays, it's false economy keeping Joel Matip. 

Who will pay anything for him and what price justifies selling him? I'd rather have him for 3 years and get 30 games from him rather than take 2m for him. He's the best 4th choice CB in the world. 

34 minutes ago, No2 said:

Who will pay anything for him and what price justifies selling him? I'd rather have him for 3 years and get 30 games from him rather than take 2m for him. He's the best 4th choice CB in the world. 

What's the Bundesliga for Bournemouth?

I think he's fantastic, it's just that he's never available and his game time would be better going towards developing a younger centre half. 

Anyone who 'overpays' for Kane and who can afford to 'overpay' for Kane will be getting a fucking goal machine.

Even if he flops, which is highly unlikely, it'll only mean they go out and spend another 150mil on his replacement.

There's no such thing as a waste of money where United, City or Chelsea are concerned.

It's not a concept based in current reality.

They're playing a different sport, in that sense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Anyone who 'overpays' for Kane and who can afford to 'overpay' for Kane will be getting a fucking goal machine.

Even if he flops, which is highly unlikely, it'll only mean they go out and spend another 150mil on his replacement.

There's no such thing as a waste of money where United, City or Chelsea are concerned.

It's not a concept based in current reality.

They're playing a different sport, in that sense.

Man City may win every game if he goes there next season and United and Chelsea become serious title contenders. People would still rationalize it as a terrible move for those clubs for a couple weeks, mind. The clear best scenario is he stays at Spurs forever.