You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

After Real Madrid's Champions League semi-final exit against Chelsea, 30-year-old Belgium forward Eden Hazard, Brazil defender Marcelo, 32, and 29-year-old Spain midfielder Isco are not viewed as being part of the club's future. 

Hazard yuckin it up with his Chelsea mates probably hasn't helped here.

9 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Raphina has 6 goals and 6 assists in 25 league games. A decent amount yet an amount Traore has never even come close to. 

Fuck the stats. Traore punches holes through defences and no he may not provide the assist but he causes chaos in a matter of seconds.  

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Fuck the stats. Traore punches holes through defences and no he may not provide the assist but he causes chaos in a matter of seconds.  

Code will be sat in a boardroom somewhere in Stavenger putting the country to rights while his pager is going mental 

18 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He’s just not productive. For the money they’d want you might as well try your hand at Jack Grealish. Traore will probably never kick on at this stage, he’s a physical specimen and if he’d been coached by Klopp from an earlier age he might have been able to put those gifts to better use but as it is he fucked about at Villa and Middlesbrough and now it’d cost about £60m to find out if he’ll kick on.

We need a striker who can take advantage of the 39 crosses a game we put into a packed box. We have no physicality in the opposition box. Cavani has transformed Manchester United into a team that would score mainly on the break to a team that can score by putting it into the mixer every once in a while.

An older no.9 that still has the hunger and is willing to sit out some games, would be ideal against the 2 banks of 5 that we have struggled against this year. 

Džeko, Suarez, even Giroud or someone of that ilk wouldn't cost a fortune but would transform our attack. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

He’s just not productive. For the money they’d want you might as well try your hand at Jack Grealish. Traore will probably never kick on at this stage, he’s a physical specimen and if he’d been coached by Klopp from an earlier age he might have been able to put those gifts to better use but as it is he fucked about at Villa and Middlesbrough and now it’d cost about £60m to find out if he’ll kick on.

I think they'd sell quite a bit lower.  Like you say, the stats don't point to a £60m player and to be honest I don't think he'll turn into one.  

Raphina is great, but he's playing for Leeds against sides who don't sit deep.  He'll have the same issues Mane and Salah have now.  We need the player equivalent of throwing a hand grenade into the opposition defence.  

City have it with Walker, he often burns past people and creates panic for the decent players to take advantage of. 

4 hours ago, Razoray said:

We need a striker who can take advantage of the 39 crosses a game we put into a packed box. We have no physicality in the opposition box. Cavani has transformed Manchester United into a team that would score mainly on the break to a team that can score by putting it into the mixer every once in a while.

An older no.9 that still has the hunger and is willing to sit out some games, would be ideal against the 2 banks of 5 that we have struggled against this year. 

Džeko, Suarez, even Giroud or someone of that ilk wouldn't cost a fortune but would transform our attack. 

A young Sturridge would be perfect for us. A natural finisher, decent enough in the air, lightning quick and a good allround footballer. 

19 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The only thing that would make sense is buying Raphinha and another player who can score loads of goals. Because while he's proven to be pretty good, he couldn't simply step in to replace one of our front 3 as he hasn't proven he's productive enough to do that. Besides a random season 4 years ago in the Portuguese League where he scored 18 goals, he's never scored more than 7 in a season. 

He's a good player,like a poor man's Mahrez, which would be nice, but even with a swap deal he'd be quite expensive and you couldn't say that on his own he would solve an issue of a lack of goals. When we bought Salah ,Mane, Jota and Firmino they all had previous of 10+ goal seasons. 

Ok, I get you work in straight lines only. I think football is not that simple where you just plug one player in to replace another. As I say, if we assume klopp wants this player and isn't already working on a tactical plan, I think you're missing the point. You talk about our front 3 like there's not 4 of them. We potentially have Elliot coming back as some form of a wild card, who will no doubt benefit from being back around good footballers. If we change shape to 2 deep midfielders, does that bring Shaq, chamberlain back into it? The money raphina would cost us, I think we'd have a clear plan as to where the goals would be coming from. I would be shocked if that plan included raphina and a striker as I wouldn't expect we could afford it (unless someone leaves of course). I would not be at all surprised if we have a completely different shape building through next season. 

• Upvote 1

Grealish (despite the idea he’s a bit of dickhead) solves a lot of our problems. Goes past players, can create and has a decent shot on him. Ideal to play against the teams who are sitting in defending deep against us. In the age range we look at usually as well.

If their was some way we could get him in, ideally with Firmino going out, then that would make us a lot better

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ok, I get you work in straight lines only. I think football is not that simple where you just plug one player in to replace another. As I say, if we assume klopp wants this player and isn't already working on a tactical plan, I think you're missing the point. You talk about our front 3 like there's not 4 of them. We potentially have Elliot coming back as some form of a wild card, who will no doubt benefit from being back around good footballers. If we change shape to 2 deep midfielders, does that bring Shaq, chamberlain back into it? The money raphina would cost us, I think we'd have a clear plan as to where the goals would be coming from. I would be shocked if that plan included raphina and a striker as I wouldn't expect we could afford it (unless someone leaves of course). I would not be at all surprised if we have a completely different shape building through next season. 

It's not really straight lines, it's just I usually believe that the transfers that work are the ones where the player is an obvious fit and it's simple to imagine where the player would play and what he adds that the team currently lacks. 

Like I said, we have eyes, Raphinha's had a good season, he has talent, but if we have to hypothetically say we'd have to change systems to fit him in, or "I think we'd have a clear plan as to where the goals would be coming from", well, the problem is that this plan's not really clear yet, is it, because Raphinha's a more traditional winger with a not so great scoring record. So right now it's not immediately obvious what Raphinha would do in isolation to fix a goalscoring issue outside of him being a good player.

So yeah, if we were to commit to playing more traditional wide players and a #9, he'd make more sense, but from the outside, is there any indication that's what we'll do? No. Therefore, I think the Raphinha rumour is a little weird from that standpoint. Not weird in terms of him not being good or that he's a 24 year old Premier League player at a smaller club, we target loads of those, but from a current stylistic point of view. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not really straight lines, it's just I usually believe that the transfers that work are the ones where the player is an obvious fit and it's simple to imagine where the player would play and what he adds that the team currently lacks. 

Thiago

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Can we buy a midfielder that can actually shoot from outside the box. 

Thiago

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Like I said, we have eyes, Raphinha's had a good season, he has talent, but if we have to hypothetically say we'd have to change systems to fit him in, or "I think we'd have a clear plan as to where the goals would be coming from", well, the problem is that this plan's not really clear yet, is it, because Raphinha's a more traditional winger with a not so great scoring record. So right now it's not immediately obvious what Raphinha would do in isolation to fix a goalscoring issue outside of him being a good player.

So yeah, if we were to commit to playing more traditional wide players and a #9, he'd make more sense, but from the outside, is there any indication that's what we'll do? No. Therefore, I think the Raphinha rumour is a little weird from that standpoint. Not weird in terms of him not being good or that he's a 24 year old Premier League player at a smaller club, we target loads of those, but from a current stylistic point of view. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe the only way to make raphina work is to buy a number 9, which seems to be your view. I think we can change the balance of the team so more players share the goalscoring responsibility. We could do that in lots of ways.  We basically now have Salah scoring. We're set up for at least 2 of which ever 3 start to score and the rest will look after itself. This season that's not happened. Perhaps finding goals from more positions is the way to deal with that. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe the only way to make raphina work is to buy a number 9, which seems to be your view. I think we can change the balance of the team so more players share the goalscoring responsibility. We could do that in lots of ways.  We basically now have Salah scoring. We're set up for at least 2 of which ever 3 start to score and the rest will look after itself. This season that's not happened. Perhaps finding goals from more positions is the way to deal with that. 

I think if we used Raphinha like City use Mahrez, it would make sense, but Salah already plays on the right. Then, you could say "play him on the left", but we play with narrow inside forwards so that doesn't really jive. Maybe we could play 4-4-2 with Jota and Salah up front and Raphinha and Mane on the wing, but otherwise it just seems like we'd have to change many things to make a player like him a big part of our tactics. 

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Osimhen is starting to look decent for Napoli. Vlahovic at Fiorentina seems a penalty box striker, if that's what we need. 

I watched a couple of videos of Vlahovic this week and he seemed to take two or three touches either fall over or run down a blind alley.  He certainly looks like he knows where the net is but looks a little ungainly.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if we used Raphinha like City use Mahrez, it would make sense, but Salah already plays on the right. Then, you could say "play him on the left", but we play with narrow inside forwards so that doesn't really jive. Maybe we could play 4-4-2 with Jota and Salah up front and Raphinha and Mane on the wing, but otherwise it just seems like we'd have to change many things to make a player like him a big part of our tactics. 

We could easily play 4231 with Salah as the one (backed up by mane) with mane, firmino, Jota, Shaq, chamberlain, minamino, Elliot and raphina fighting over the 3 places behind (perhaps they won't all still be at the club). You could potentially throw Jones into that mix too.

Maybe we could play a diamond midfield and allow him to drift between the top and one of the "wide" places. 

There's loads of thing we could do. Which is my point. If we sign this lad, he'll cost us the type of money we expect to be a 1st team player. It seems to me you're suggesting if we signed him it would almost be like a Shaq or minamino type signing where you don't know how he'll get his game. I just think if we're paying top dollar, which he would cost, it's because we intend to use him and if that's the case we have a plan. It might be one you or I have mentioned, but it could be something just klopp has figured out none of us can imagine.