You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Raphina cost Leeds £17m last summer.

They’ll likely want double that.

Leeds were also linked with Wilson last summer.

£15/20m + Wilson?

I didn't mean Rafinha value

I think we get 12ml for Wilson, i dont see Rafinha happening myself

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Raphinha's a completely right sided player so unless Salah played central or was sold, it doesn't make much sense. And if he was to replace Salah, he doesn't score remotely enough.

You're not going to find a single player who plays on the right, who scores enough to replace Salah.

Not one.

Not from anywhere.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Raphinha's a completely right sided player so unless Salah played central or was sold, it doesn't make much sense. And if he was to replace Salah, he doesn't score remotely enough.

I don’t know enough about him apart from he’s very fast and doesn’t score enough.

If he were to sign, and I’ve obviously no idea and am basing this theory on that screenshot, I’d hope he’d be replacing Shaq, Minamino or Origi rather than a established starter.

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t know enough about him apart from he’s very fast and doesn’t score enough.

If he were to sign, and I’ve obviously no idea and am basing this theory on that screenshot, I’d hope he’d be replacing Shaq, Minamino or Origi rather than a starter.

He'd be very expensive. Unless we sell one of the front 3, it doesn't make sense because he's not coming to be amongst 5 options. And the positioning wouldn't make sense either. If he was someone who could play both wings and up front like Jota and Mane, fair enough, he could be a versatile option, but he's almost strictly a right sided player.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

This side was built specifically for a three year run - this is the last of those three seasons. Wiji was kept onboard for this reason.

Some big decisions for Klopper and individual players going forward.

This is exactly right. It's been some awful, awful luck that just as we were poised to have a dominant season or two, all our centre backs were injured and the pandemic affected our team far more than most (looking at our home record).

But we had some amazing luck for two seasons before that, so in the end, I'm fine with it. It would be a lot harder to take if we hadn't won the league, mind!

I think this will be a summer where we'll make a big move. I predict Salah is sold and Sancho brought in, and then we'll look for a centre forward to replace Firmino in summer 2022.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, on the face of it he's not effective enough in a front three as we know it.  

I've enjoyed watching him play for Leeds, but to buy him would seem completely unnecessary.  

I'd rather we looked at Traore, proper game-changing pace and power to break through deep lines.  

The only way Raphina begins to make sense is if we switch to 4231. 

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yes, on the face of it he's not effective enough in a front three as we know it.  

I've enjoyed watching him play for Leeds, but to buy him would seem completely unnecessary.  

I'd rather we looked at Traore, proper game-changing pace and power to break through deep lines.  

Fuck that with a capital F. 

6 goals in 99 games for Wolves. Runs down more blind alleys that Mr Magoo looking for a whore

• Upvote 1

Just now, Colonel Bumcunt said:

disgusted022.gif

The Raphinha thing, Matheus Pereira is pretty similar, except West Brom are getting relegated so there'd be a chance of getting him on a discount. He'd make more sense if we were looking at that kind of profile. Raphinha's a good player but you're looking at a massive fee. Leeds have no reason to sell. Don't think he's a natural fit in our forward line, either. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Raphina has 6 goals and 6 assists in 25 league games. A decent amount yet an amount Traore has never even come close to. 

17 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Mbappe and Haaland are completely out of the question for us. 

We've just announced a £46 million loss based on a 12 month period where we won the Champions League and spent less than £10 million on players. Our next 12 months figures are going to be even worse as it's 12 months with effectively no fans, and we did spend around £30 million net on transfers last summer. 

There was a reason we were scraping around in the bottom of the bargain basement bin on transfer deadline day in January for a centre back despite having 0 first choice defenders available. 

Pre covid we were at a massive disadvantage against City and Chelsea financially, but now the scales have been tipped even more in their favour. We have done incredibly well over the past few years due to a brilliant manager and scouting system but I fear we are going to go back in to their shadows again now based on their squads and spending power. 

The only hope we have is that no europe/easier competition means that we can focus all our energy on the league next season. 

Don't forget too that winning the PL and 8 games or whatever (for TV purposes) land in this financial year. So this season despite being shite will include about a season and a quarter, a PL win in the income comumn and only 12 months of cost. 

15 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could move Salah inside though and he'd likely match what he gives us today in terms of goals. And any replacement only has to score more than Bobby. if Salah wore 9 and played though the middle his numbers stack up with nearly all 9s on the planet. And Salah was no scoring superstar before we bought him, although he had decent numbers for Roma. And we could change our shape and play 4231. There's all manner of things we could do. When we signed Salah, he was coming in to play in Mane's position, mane just.moved to the left. Firmino was a left winger when we signed him. I think klopp should be given some credit that if he was to sign raphina, he's probably got a plan and the intruiging thing for me would be "what does it mean" and not "it doesn't make much sense". I don't know enough about his capabilities, but from the little I've seen he's clearly not shit. And neither is klopp. So I imagine there's a tactical plan we could develop. 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We could move Salah inside though and he'd likely match what he gives us today in terms of goals. And any replacement only has to score more than Bobby. if Salah wore 9 and played though the middle his numbers stack up with nearly all 9s on the planet. And Salah was no scoring superstar before we bought him, although he had decent numbers for Roma. And we could change our shape and play 4231. There's all manner of things we could do. When we signed Salah, he was coming in to play in Mane's position, mane just.moved to the left. Firmino was a left winger when we signed him. I think klopp should be given some credit that if he was to sign raphina, he's probably got a plan and the intruiging thing for me would be "what does it mean" and not "it doesn't make much sense". I don't know enough about his capabilities, but from the little I've seen he's clearly not shit. And neither is klopp. So I imagine there's a tactical plan we could develop. 

The only thing that would make sense is buying Raphinha and another player who can score loads of goals. Because while he's proven to be pretty good, he couldn't simply step in to replace one of our front 3 as he hasn't proven he's productive enough to do that. Besides a random season 4 years ago in the Portuguese League where he scored 18 goals, he's never scored more than 7 in a season. 

He's a good player,like a poor man's Mahrez, which would be nice, but even with a swap deal he'd be quite expensive and you couldn't say that on his own he would solve an issue of a lack of goals. When we bought Salah ,Mane, Jota and Firmino they all had previous of 10+ goal seasons.