You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

There’s just no chance that we’ll give Salah parity with the worlds top earners and that’s what he’ll want, probably rightly so too. We’ll either see more value in keeping him for two years and letting him go or we’ll sell this summer.

This team will be worse off without him but him leaving largely facilitates us changing this team in to something different, hopefully better.

1 hour ago, Jockey said:

Totally agree. I'm not sure what the delay is - the pandemic can't be the sole reason. He is our best forward, so we face the potential of losing the top scorer in the league and having to change the way we play - I think Mo allows us to accommodate Firmino, without Mo scoring the way he does the centre forward needs to score more. 

Mane, Firmino and Salah are close to the same age and their deals all end at the same time. It's clearly been a concerted strategy to evaluate all 3 and determine who to eventually extend into their 30's. 

Salah has clearly deserved it and will get it offered. Obviously, if he rejects, he rejects, but this talk of him being surprised we've not talked to him about a contract comes across as agent nonsense where he and his team are giving themselves an excuse not to stay if someone comes in for him and he wants to leave. As in: "PSG came in and wanted me, Liverpool delayed and didn't make an effort". Or maybe, we're broke and can't give him a raise, who knows, but those comments look like nonsense.

Firmino and Mané, we've done a good job waiting on them and not extending them because we'd look really dumb right now had we done so.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I get what your saying about Keegan and Torres etc but we also then got Dalglish and Suarez. 

It’s obviously a massively tall order but it might be convenient for both us and PSG to come to a mutual arrangement on Salah and Mbappe. 

From reading articles it seems like we’ve previously tried to do a lot of ground work on Mbappe. I’d even accept writing into Mbappes contract that in 3 /4 seasons, if he wants, we’d be prepared to negotiate with Madrid for him - he’d still only be 27-ish then.

Fair points. Without CL football next season, I cant see Mbappe here much as he admires Jurgen and probably the club.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Fair points. Without CL football next season, I cant see Mbappe here much as he admires Jurgen and probably the club.

Who knows. He’s got plenty more time to play in and win the CL (hopefully with us!). Would 1 season out kill him? He’s not 23 until December. 

Just seen this from Mo...

A61FB90C-D995-42CF-9E7B-B6BF82355A21.png

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Mane, Firmino and Salah are close to the same age and their deals all end at the same time. It's clearly been a concerted strategy to evaluate all 3 and determine who to eventually extend into their 30's. 

Salah has clearly deserved it and will get it offered. Obviously, if he rejects, he rejects, but this talk of him being surprised we've not talked to him about a contract comes across as agent nonsense where he and his team are giving themselves an excuse not to stay if someone comes in for him and he wants to leave. As in: "PSG came in and wanted me, Liverpool delayed and didn't make an effort". Or maybe, we're broke and can't give him a raise, who knows, but those comments look like nonsense.

Firmino and Mané, we've done a good job waiting on them and not extending them because we'd look really dumb right now had we done so.

Yeah that is fair enough. But the comments came from him on Sky! I suspect he doesn't want PSG - and that they would have to make him a ridiculous offer to make him think twice. But, as I say the danger is he rejects our deal, and makes himself attractive enough to Madrid. The worst scenario for us is he leaves for £40m next season! 

I think Firmino has been poor for a while now - the minute the Wolves goal hit the back of the net really! But, Mane was immense and at the start of this season I would have said he was the one I wanted to keep out of all of them, I genuinely believed he was the best attacking player in the world up until the NY. I'm relaxed enough at the moment - the one player can lose is VVD - as he is irreplaceable. 

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

If Salah isn’t staying because we’re not offering enough money then I highly doubt we’re making Mbappe an attractive offer compared to what PSG and every other interested party might offer.

That’s the long and short of it. 

28 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

If Salah isn’t staying because we’re not offering enough money then I highly doubt we’re making Mbappe an attractive offer compared to what PSG and every other interested party might offer.

Where has it been suggested we’re not offering Salah enough money?

Given Mo’s age, that he already gets, allegedly, £200k per week and his powers are likely to decrease during the length his next contract, what should we be looking at?

If (and I’m not saying we will) we were to move Salah on for whatever reason, it certainly leaves space to make lucrative offers to other players.

28 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Where has it been suggested we’re not offering Salah enough money?

Given Mo’s age, that he already gets, allegedly, £200k per week and his powers are likely to decrease during the length his next contract, what should we be looking at?

If (and I’m not saying we will) we were to move Salah on for whatever reason, it certainly leaves space to make lucrative offers to other players.

It’s not been suggested anywhere, it’s not been suggested that we’ve offered anything. It doesn’t take a genius to look around players of a similar elite level and see what they apparently make to know that if Salah’s agent is worth shit he’ll be looking for something similar for Salah’s last chance at massive money. It also doesn’t take a genius to see that whenever players have been at that level at Liverpool they’ve been sold. Mcmanaman, Owen, Torres, Suarez, Coutinho. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Salah will be expecting in the neighborhood of 350k a week this time around. He would get that at Barca, Real, PSG, hell even a club like Juve.

My guess is we keep him for two years and he leaves on a free.

That's my gut feel too. And I think he's desperate to get a new contract, which is why we keep hearing about it. 

We have Salah, Mane, Firmino, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Henderson, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri and Nat Phillips all with contracts due to expire in 2023. 

On that basis alone I would 'cash in' on Keita, Ox and Shaqiri this summer, particularly as we are either going to be playing Europa or be without European football next season. 

Renewing Van Dijk and Fabinho should be the main priority, then Salah, then Mane. Henderson deserves a new contract also but the injuries are starting to catch up with him. I don't think he's got very long left at the top level sadly. 

If Salah and his agent do start to ruffle feathers then I would reluctantly say to sell him as well. I suspect much will depend on the future of Neymar and M'bappe. If either or both decide that they want to move on in the next 12 months then PSG could be the destination for him. I know he's spoken before about how the Champions League is the most important trophy to him, so he will feel he will at least have a chance of winning it next season with them. 

Mbappe and Haaland are completely out of the question for us. 

We've just announced a £46 million loss based on a 12 month period where we won the Champions League and spent less than £10 million on players. Our next 12 months figures are going to be even worse as it's 12 months with effectively no fans, and we did spend around £30 million net on transfers last summer. 

There was a reason we were scraping around in the bottom of the bargain basement bin on transfer deadline day in January for a centre back despite having 0 first choice defenders available. 

Pre covid we were at a massive disadvantage against City and Chelsea financially, but now the scales have been tipped even more in their favour. We have done incredibly well over the past few years due to a brilliant manager and scouting system but I fear we are going to go back in to their shadows again now based on their squads and spending power. 

The only hope we have is that no europe/easier competition means that we can focus all our energy on the league next season. 

29 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We've just announced a £46 million loss based on a 12 month period where we won the Champions League and spent less than £10 million on players. Our next 12 months figures are going to be even worse as it's 12 months with effectively no fans, and we did spend around £30 million net on transfers last summer. 

I dont think that's totally correct. While the CL final related money is in the current accounting period, the bulk of the CL money would have been accounted for in the previous accounting period, even if only as money owed.

The club will also have the Nike kit money in the next accounts which they are anticipating to be in the order of at least £60m and we also signed a few more sponsorship deals.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/432375-lfc-announces-financial-results-for-year-to-may-31-2020

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think that's totally correct. While the CL final related money is in the current accounting period, the bulk of the CL money would have been accounted for in the previous accounting period, even if only as mone owed.

The club will also have the Nike kit money which they are anticipating to be in the order of at least £60m and we also signed a few more sponsorship deals.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/432375-lfc-announces-financial-results-for-year-to-may-31-2020

True. 

I'm still anticipating a much bigger loss in the next 12 months figures though, and then then the next lot of figures will be based on a season when we are either in the Europa League or not in Europe at all, so I just don't see much investment in terms of transfers and contracts. Certainly not enough to keep up with City and Chelsea. 

I guess we will really see how much truth in this share sale to the part owners is used to cover the losses... Be a interesting summer as penny pinching could set the club back years and the assets would be worth far less without regular top 4. With Klopp off soon aswell if they want to hang on to the club and keep it's value they'll need success. Biting the bullet and investing might actually be necessary for them. 

Not holding out hope on that though 

25 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wilson and Origi swap

I was definitely thinking Wilson. 

I do wonder what we’ll get for him. We got £20m for Solanke & Brewster who’d never done anything. Wilson has had 4 good loan spells from us but nobody seemingly  wants to bite.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I do wonder what we’ll get for him. We got £20m for Solanke & Brewster who’d never done anything. Wilson has had 4 good loan spells from us but nobody seemingly  wants to bite.

I anticipate a substantial offer from Norway... 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Reckon 12ml or so

No doubt if a partial swap deal is on the cards the clubs will ramp up value involved

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Reckon 12ml or so

No doubt if a partial swap deal is on the cards the clubs will ramp up value involved

Raphina cost Leeds £17m last summer.

They’ll likely want double that.

Leeds were also linked with Wilson last summer.

£15/20m + Wilson?