You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

In the summer of 1987 I used to bounce out of bed and rush off to deliver the morning papers, eager to catch up with the latest news of Peter Beardsley’s impending transfer to Liverpool. 

Now I come on here to read that we should take an interest in Patrick Bamford. All I can say about this is at least I didn’t have to get up at 6am. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Really? What a mad one that is. A decent club like? 

47 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

some club that starts with a K in Istanbul, don't think he gets a game there

He has played about 700 minutes for them - they are 2 points from the drop in Turkey.

46 minutes ago, an tha said:

The echo outdoing themselves today....

Basically an article saying Liverpool are too clever to but Mbappe - but hey Harvey Barnes would be just as good.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-sancho-haaland-mbappe-20401733

I've got a lot of time for Barnes, but I don't see a reality where our jilted ex manager permits that sale for anything less than £80m.

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

In the summer of 1987 I used to bounce out of bed and rush off to deliver the morning papers, eager to catch up with the latest news of Peter Beardsley’s impending transfer to Liverpool. 

Now I come on here to read that we should take an interest in Patrick Bamford. All I can say about this is at least I didn’t have to get up at 6am. 

I think it’s only Ardja who actually wants us to sign Patty Bambam. He’s a decent footballer but it would take a lot more than one good top flight season to convince me he’s more than the next Rickie Lambert. Raphinha is the one I reckon we’d seriously consider from that lot. I wouldn’t mind a pre Leicester Vardy type gamble paying off though, wish we looked to the Championship more.

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

some club that starts with a K in Istanbul, don't think he gets a game there

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He has played about 700 minutes for them - they are 2 points from the drop in Turkey.

I never really understood the fuss about him, including the year Leicester won the league. Even so, you'd think he could get a top championship club or a bottom half premier League club. Although I guess the 120k from Chelsea must be a stumbling block. I'm.guessong he must be out of contract this summer. 

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I never really understood the fuss about him, including the year Leicester won the league. Even so, you'd think he could get a top championship club or a bottom half premier League club. Although I guess the 120k from Chelsea must be a stumbling block. I'm.guessong he must be out of contract this summer. 

One of my mates is a Chelsea fan and reckons he is an alcoholic. 

A £35 million transfer fee and 120k a week over 5 years for a total of 12 league games! He almost makes us signing Andy Carroll look like good business!

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

One of my mates is a Chelsea fan and reckons he is an alcoholic. 

A £35 million transfer fee and 120k a week over 5 years for a total of 12 league games! He almost makes us signing Andy Carroll look like good business!

Andy Carroll didn't work out that badly really. It was a fuck up, no doubt. But we got half our money back, plus a years loan fee (was that 2.5m?) and his wages spent on loan..when you consider it was part of the Torres trade and included Suarez, we did ok overall. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Andy Carroll didn't work out that badly really. It was a fuck up, no doubt. But we got half our money back, plus a years loan fee (was that 2.5m?) and his wages spent on loan..when you consider it was part of the Torres trade and included Suarez, we did ok overall. 

No it was a terrible transfer. The time he spent with us he was taking a valuable spot that a far better player could have been occupying. He represented bad value, the fact we only got half our money back and felt lucky for doing so years after transfers popped off to crazy numbers is an indicator of that. We got more money for Solanke. We just got lucky with Suarez so it numbs the shitness a bit.

Just out of curiosity, did we get more money for Solanke or Brewster? 

Also what happened to Jerome Sinclair? And Gerrard's cousin, I forget his name. 

These young striker prospects coming through have been good little earners for us, but I'd like at least one to do well, obviously ideally staying.

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

One more year

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

No it was a terrible transfer. The time he spent with us he was taking a valuable spot that a far better player could have been occupying. He represented bad value, the fact we only got half our money back and felt lucky for doing so years after transfers popped off to crazy numbers is an indicator of that. We got more money for Solanke. We just got lucky with Suarez so it numbs the shitness a bit.

I think you need to take context of the situation. FSG had been here 5 mins, had had comolli and Kenny in a genuine footballing position even less. We needed to replace a star man in a January. Carrol didn't even represent a loss on the books. So obviously it could have worked out a whole lot better, but it could have worked out a whole lot worse. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Remmie said:

These young striker prospects coming through have been good little earners for us, but I'd like at least one to do well, obviously ideally staying.

Brewster I think. Bobby Duncan has worked his way back from across Europe to grace the fringes of the Derby squad. Sinclair is still at Watford amazingly but is sent out on loan every year I think.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Remmie said:

20M, or around that, for each of Solanke and Brewster, on current showing they are proably worth around a quarter of that. at most!

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

I think it’s only Ardja who actually wants us to sign Patty Bambam. He’s a decent footballer but it would take a lot more than one good top flight season to convince me he’s more than the next Rickie Lambert. Raphinha is the one I reckon we’d seriously consider from that lot. I wouldn’t mind a pre Leicester Vardy type gamble paying off though, wish we looked to the Championship more.

Defo hope we do this. Tough learning ground down there compared to the pampered academy players or some contract bagger.

Been some decent signings for prem clubs the past couple of seasons and we’ve benefitted brilliantly with relegated players. Without any evidence to back this up, imo, these lads have that bit more hunger to succeed after being overlooked by the bigger clubs academies when they were younger and have been allowed to develop without the pressure of making it at the top clubs.

I don’t feel our academies been that much of a success for how long it’s been running. There doesn’t seem to be that much long term development in getting the right players in the big positions for the first team. From what I’ve seen over the years, it’s just a case of getting 11 players on the pitch in none competitive games and letting them stay doing nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Defo hope we do this. Tough learning ground down there compared to the pampered academy players or some contract bagger.

Been some decent signings for prem clubs the past couple of seasons and we’ve benefitted brilliantly with relegated players. Without any evidence to back this up, imo, these lads have that bit more hunger to succeed after being overlooked by the bigger clubs academies when they were younger and have been allowed to develop without the pressure of making it at the top clubs.

I don’t feel our academies been that much of a success for how long it’s been running. There doesn’t seem to be that much long term development in getting the right players in the big positions for the first team. From what I’ve seen over the years, it’s just a case of getting 11 players on the pitch in none competitive games and letting them stay doing nothing. 

Our academy did well when it started out, but it was stifled through the period when Rafa was here when they seemed at odds with each other philosophy and Rafa built a shadow young reserve team and there was little to no cooperation. But since then there's been plenty of wins despite how long it takes for players to come through. Admittedly a lot of those players haven't always started at the club at 8 and they've been parachuted in on their mid teens, but that's part of how it works now.  I would be amazed if it doesn't pay for itself and more. We currently have one of the best right backs in world football (well unless you're Gareth Southgate), along with some fringe players and promising talent. Surely it only gets better now the kids are on the same site as the players. 

I don't think you can expect one superstar per generation and a handful of decent talents I think is the most we can expect and if we get more, it is a bonus.