You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You're right, I forgot about that.

He was absolutely shit against us like.  He’s been really good when I’ve seen him previously though and I think at his age you’re going to get bad games.  I think he will be seen as one the best centre backs around in a few years.

19 hours ago, sir roger said:

Deliberately signed a new contract to ensure Brum got a a decent fee to save the club as a thanks for their rearing him , when he could have taken most of the money himself by running his situation down.

Class that. 

17 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

If we want to fantasise about Bellingham then why not just get Camavinga? Probably cost about the same and IMO even better.

I'd be a big fan of having 2 of the best U21 midfielders in the world on our books (Camavinga and Jones) to develop under Jurgen over the next few seasons.

That kid looks amazing. If we got either him or Bellingham it would be brilliant. Only advantage is with Bellingham, he's probably less likely to want to go to a continental side in the future and might never leave.

I did read an article somewhere about Camavinga's house burning down as a kid and he became more driven to make it for his parents so he might be another good egg.

Klopp getting the blackpool meeting with Odegaard sorted there

You don't want to play with this shite do you?

Worrying thing about Alli tash is if he starting growing a ponytail and going full David Seaman 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’d be very interested to hear some posters take on Dortmund’s transfer business for Haaland, Sancho & Bellingham...

I think its a shit model they have, supporting them must be like growing strawberries but never getting to eat one. They will make money from them but some one else will get the best of them.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

I think its a shit model they have, supporting them must be like growing strawberries but never getting to eat one. They will make money from them but some one else will get the best of them.

If there are only 2 models, then yes. It's a shit model.

If there are more than 2 models (which there are) it's probably the 2nd best.

Certainly for Dortmund.

And I'm not sure I get your analogy. They do get to eat the strawberries. Not fully ripe, and not with any cream on top.

But they still get to eat them.

6 minutes ago, m0e said:

Certainly for Dortmund.

And I'm not sure I get your analogy. They do get to eat the strawberries. Not fully ripe, and not with any cream on top.

Quite.

Taken advantage of contract situations, get to have a crack at the CL and Bundesliga every season, grow as players, get sold for a fortune.

The fact they want to leave is probably more of a fact Dortmund’s shortcomings. We’ll never know if they’d be prepared to stay because they can’t consistently challenge. 

And let’s face it, it’s the same position we’ve been in with Alonso & Mascherano previously, the mancs with Ronaldo etc and likely might find ourselves in the future as well. 

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

Certainly for Dortmund.

I'm coming at this from the view point Dortmund are the 2nd biggest team in Germany, they aren't Southampton. Buying these players with the intention of building a side for the next 8 years is what they should be doing. I'm not up to speed on their finances, maybe its needs must but if it isn't I stand by my ascertain its a shit model.

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm coming at this from the view point Dortmund are the 2nd biggest team in Germany, they aren't Southampton. Buying these players with the intention of building a side for the next 8 years is what they should be doing. I'm not up to speed on their finances, maybe its needs must but if it isn't I stand by my ascertain its a shit model.

Evergone in the world knows they don't have the money to compete in Europe.

Klopp bought players for peanuts and sold them to Bayern, Madrid, etc for 10s of millions.

The fact he managed to win the league twice wasn't because of some alternative model you're suggesting they deploy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

Alternatively, Dortmund know they can’t do this. Even at their best under Klopp, they couldn’t keep their best players and Bayern are top of the food tree. 

Anytime somebody shows significant promise, they leave, sometimes for free.

It might be somewhat defeatist, but IMO, Dortmund look to have recognised this and prepared themselves for the time players do move on. 

On 03/04/2021 at 11:49, Trumo said:

Just trying to clarify what you meant by this. IIRC, when making that comment, Hicks' point was that Weetabix was purchased in a leveraged buyout, with the revenue generated by Weetabix being used to pay off the loan and interest taken out by Hicks and his partners to purchase the company. He said something like "If you are eating Weetabix, you're paying for our purchase of Weetabix".

If it was about leveraged buyouts, that's my bad memory, I thought it was just in relation to football being no difference to any other business. 

22 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Doesn't every player on the continent have a release clause?

I think Spain it is compulsory by law. I'm not sure it is anywhere else. 

22 hours ago, aRdja said:

Look don’t get me wrong, if someone offered to swap FSG with Abramovich of course like you I’d bite his hand off. I just disagree with the assessment that we only buy bargains, when clearly that has not been the case. We buy all sorts of players. 

At absolutely no point have I said we only buy bargains. I have said we make that our starting position - or we at the very least look to take as much of the negotiation out of the deal as possible. We like release clauses, out of contract and 1 year left. 

22 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If that is the case I would say Thiago is a high risk signing. Nothing to be made back in a transfer fee at his age and we will be paying near 200k a week for the next 3.5 years for a player that was supposed to provide something a little different.

I reckon if we tried to sell him this summer we would get our money back less the 1 years depreciation - so if it is a 4 year contract as you say, I feel confident we'd get our 15m 

26 minutes ago, m0e said:

Evergone in the world knows they don't have the money to compete in Europe.

Klopp bought players for peanuts and sold them to Bayern, Madrid, etc for 10s of millions.

The fact he managed to win the league twice wasn't because of some alternative model you're suggesting they deploy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/swissramble/status/1310465868795703297?lang=en

They don't have the money to compete with Bayern but they are financially strong enough to retain players and build, this is definitely a choice. Their finances are comparable with Atletico Madrid, they 12th in Europe for revenue and this is growing with new deals signed and the TV money in Germany growing hugely. 

Interestingly the Bundesliga allocates 2% of the TV money to teams that play U23 german players. Its no wonder they keep churning out players.

• Upvote 1