You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Exactly, it’s not likely to happen but it’s not completely out of the realms of possibility either. I never thought we’d pay Milner £150k p/w but we did because he was free. I just don’t think we will put that sort of contract on the table with Salah sniffing around for either a mover or new contract although you could make a good argument for bumping his wages up as his goals and impact will cost a fortune to replace.

IMO, in the summer, I want a 2 quality backs, a quality replacement for Wijnaldum and a quality attacker.

If we signed, just for example, Kabak, Alaba and somebody up front, I’d be very satisfied.

Obviously, as we’ve been told by The Echo & The Athletic multiple times, half the appeal for Jota & Thiago was the way the deals were structured. That would make the case for Alaba  (no upfront cost) stronger.

I don’t expect it though. I fully expect Alaba to go to Spain. 

Apologies for my ignorance but if we will only be able to sell our fringe players for reduced prices, surely the same will apply when we come to buy other clubs fringe players. 

Sell/buy for 20 million is the same as sell/buy for 40 million or am I missing something ? 

I get at the very top end the prices will remain high, but I don't think we will be shopping there.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

IMO, in the summer, I want a 2 quality backs, a quality replacement for Wijnaldum and a quality attacker.

If we signed, just for example, Kabak, Alaba and somebody up front, I’d be very satisfied.

Obviously, as we’ve been told by The Echo & The Athletic multiple times, half the appeal for Jota & Thiago was the way the deals were structured. That would make the case for Alaba  (no upfront cost) stronger.

I don’t expect it though. I fully expect Alaba to go to Spain. 

Hasnt Alaba agreed a £165k a week and some £17m deal with Real?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Apologies for my ignorance but if we will only be able to sell our fringe players for reduced prices, surely the same will apply when we come to buy other clubs fringe players. 

Sell/buy for 20 million is the same as sell/buy for 40 million or am I missing something ? 

I get at the very top end the prices will remain high, but I don't think we will be shopping there.

We’ll have to accept lower fees because we want rid of players to generate funds but we’ll still have to pay the same fees (or higher) for players we want to sign.

For example, people will see the £45m we spent on Jota, who let’s face it, was a unremarkable player from a mid-table club, he signs for us and looks a world beater.

Clubs will be wary of that happening to any player we sign in the future. 

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It’s been said for ages he’s agreed terms but nothing formal has been announced and he’s not signed a pre-contract agreement. 

As I said, I fully expect Alaba to go to Spain, but if we don’t have the money to for full requirements in every position, his signing makes sense - IMO, even if we have to pay him OTT.

25 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

It’s supply and demand though isn’t it. We’re one of the biggest richest clubs in the world wanting to take a player and triple his wages with a potential of selling him for two or three times of what we’ve paid, selling clubs will be very aware of this. On the flip side we have players on comparatively massive wages who are being asked to go to Villa or West Ham or whoever, there’ll be compromise. Luckily we somehow almost always come out of these situations doing better but there’s always the potential to be stuck in another Degen, Konchesky, Jovanovich situation where we end up nearly paying clubs to take them off us.

42 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think it depends. Sure, prices may seem downward in the market, but there'll always be tax on big clubs and English clubs. Also, many clubs are not in crisis, so don't have to sell..it's not like we're trying to get someone's fringe players (which Jota had almost become towards the end at wolves), we're going after the players they want to keep. Prices will be down in situations where there's willing sellers. 

46 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Agree. Clubs would be able to demand a high fee for the likes of Sancho, Haaland, Salah etc but they might have to accept a slightly lower valuation if they do decide to sell. I think player fees may have a bit fo deflation about them!

Real, Barcelona and Bayern always try and get big players on the cheap by unsettling them over  aperiod.

Alternatively, clubs may try and do what we did with the Jota deal and try for a small fee upfront with the rest paid later?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Think it is in the BBC Sport gossip column. At those figures you would think we wont be involved but over four years it is less than we paid just on the fee for Keita. He may of course just fancy Madrid more as a destination.

17 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Been linked with that Patson Daka a few times, scores loads for Salzburg and probably has a low release clause. 

Plus he's Zambian. I got pissed in Zambia then staggered back over the bridge to Zimbabwe and carried on there so for that reason I want us to sign him. 

He is really talented. I really like the look of him.

Having said that, he could be another Taki - a talented player who struggles to make the step up required at least for a good few months. We need someone to make a Jota like impression and really have the front three looking over their shoulders.

It is curious that, for all the talk, Alaba still hasn't signed a pre contract anywhere, and only has only confirmed that he will leave Bayern. 

I don’t think we’ll get him due his age and wages and likely no Champions League next season, but this lad could provide cover to Robbo at left back, provide cover at centre back and replace Gini in one fell swoop. We could also shed the likes of Tsimikas who has contributed zero and spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch, as well one or two other squad players. 

54 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The Face That Launched A Thousand Pub Crawls.

Haha I like that. Definitely would be on Dave. Troy would be drinking in all kinds of mad places; in the Amazonian rainforest with eco warriors fighting the ranchowners, in Mexican border towns with narcos, in Saudia Arabia with secret gatherings of ale lovers risking it all for their love of a good pint. 

• Like 1

I reckon Alaba may have been agreed last summer, which is maybe why we didn't buy a 4th centre back.

Klopp is on a mission to strip Bayern apart, the way they stripped Dortmund apart when he was there!

28 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Haha I like that. Definitely would be on Dave. Troy would be drinking in all kinds of mad places; in the Amazonian rainforest with eco warriors fighting the ranchowners, in Mexican border towns with narcos, in Saudia Arabia with secret gatherings of ale lovers risking it all for their love of a good pint. 

I did go to a "dry" state in India, on a place called Pushkar and the hotel receptionist told me and my mate that he knew someone who was serving alcohol after were pissed off there was no alcohol on offer in the hotel. 

We said yes then this receptionist took us over the road to some tower block to knock on a door, we were let into some flat with a mini bar in the corner, gave us a few big bottles of Kinfisher. 

The rest of the punters were either getting their heads shaved by a mobile barber or playing cards in almost total darkness. Fucking weird, like a cross between Del Boys flat and a bar in a Steven Seagal film.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I did go to a "dry" state in India, on a place called Pushkar and the hotel receptionist told me and my mate that he knew someone who was serving alcohol after were pissed off there was no alcohol on offer in the hotel. 

We said yes then this receptionist took us over the road to some tower block to knock on a door, we were let into some flat with a mini bar in the corner, gave us a few big bottles of Kinfisher. 

The rest of the punters were either getting their heads shaved by a mobile barber or playing cards in almost total darkness. Fucking weird, like a cross between Del Boys flat and a bar in a Steven Seagal film.

Love that.

Years ago in Thailand the wife was looking for a decent fake handbag. The tuk tuk driver took us down this alley in the middle of nowhere and told us to follow his mate into a flat. Walked in, some lads just sitting watching telly - massive Liverpool FC flag pinned to the wall - a fake wall which the lad pushed open and inside was like Aladdin's cave.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I see the rumours out there that Brandt is supposed to be available for 25m euro this summer.

He's not quite reached the heights expected of him a few years ago, but maybe a Jurgen hug could solve all that? This is just me wondering out loud, but he could be a decent Gini replacement. Bit of a different player but cheap, young, and we were rumoured to be after him that summer we got Salah.

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

If you also cooked,  you'd be like an Everton hating Anthony Bourdin.