You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Haven’t been watching Dortmund a lot, and it’s not the most urgent position for us to strengthen, but that Bellingham lad really impressed me tonight. A beast of a player at what is it 17?

My guess is he ran more than any other player on the field. Pressing and tackling, strong in the air, good on the ball and frequently gets himself into scoring positions. What are the flaws?

• Upvote 1

On paper a Rafa style midfield with Thiago/Hendo and Fabinho providing a double pivot looks good with Bobby in a no10 role but the wingers won’t be shuttling back and there’s no outlet up top. It just doesn’t feel like Klopp would go back to that way of playing. 

Im all for having a more physical presence as an option up front though, it’d be nice to take advantage of the 600 decent crosses put in every game.

38 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Team is too nice, need to sign a couple of snide cunts.

I missed that take. The number one thing people used to say when we've been bad is "sign more cunts" "we have no nous, no balls, etc...". Back to that, it seems. Time is a flat circle. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I missed that take. The number one thing people used to say when we've been bad is "sign more cunts" "we have no nous, no balls, etc...". Back to that, it seems. Time is a flat circle. 

It’s completely a confidence thing though isn’t it? The team are clearly low on confidence/morale so play within themselves and lack that bit of fight that comes with the swagger and drive of being a shit hot team, 4 or 5 wins on the bounce and this team will be full of cunts again, even though they’re really nice boys.

• Upvote 1

Klopp doesn't want snide. He will tolerate a Milner or Robertson late tackle but he doesn't want Suarez accidentally landing on Distan's achilles type snide.

On summer signings I'd go to Porto with the budget and ask what can I get for £40m? They have loads of great players.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Suarez booting Scott Parker in the belly completely on purpose and only getting a booking for it is definitely the kind of snide I miss.

This harsh lesson was the making of Parker and he's now proving himself to be a decent manager. Hope he appreciates what Suarez did for him. 

• Upvote 2

This likely isn't something we'd do and I don't even think we'll sign a CB, but Rafa Varane has one year left on his deal. He's not a perfect CB, he's a bit meek, but you put him next to Virgil, and that's likely the best CB partnership anybody could come up with. That's a rare opportunity. A player of his pedigree, not old, that could be available because of his contract situation. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This likely isn't something we'd do and I don't even think we'll sign a CB, but Rafa Varane has one year left on his deal. He's not a perfect CB, he's a bit meek, but you put him next to Virgil, and that's likely the best CB partnership anybody could come up with. That's a rare opportunity. A player of his pedigree, not old, that could be available because of his contract situation. 

Aren't his wages going to be a problem here? Madrd wages are crazy aren't they? Hope I'm wrong as I believe he has a good reputation.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Good player but we need to get the squad a bit younger 

He will be 28 at the start of next season and will want big wages. Matip will be 29 and van Dijk 30 by the start of next year. 

4 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Aren't his wages going to be a problem here? Madrd wages are crazy aren't they? Hope I'm wrong as I believe he has a good reputation.

Yeah, probably. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Good player but we need to get the squad a bit younger 

He will be 28 at the start of next season and will want big wages. Matip will be 29 and van Dijk 30 by the start of next year. 

28's not real old for a CB, though. There are places in the squad where we should get younger, I'm not sure we need to be younger at that position. Young CB's often aren't good anyway. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lee909 said:

He not really able to play out wide and if he goes it's yet another home grown player needed for the squad. 

Bobby would do a very similar job as a 10 as he does now, except there would also be a focal point. 

I would give his position to one of the youngsters, he offers next to nothing now.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Brilliant player, Varane. And his availability over the past few seasons has been immaculate. I also think Madrid might sell given his contract situation and their need to raise cash. 

However, I just can't see it. We made an exception to our usual transfer policy by bringing in Thiago and its hardly been a resounding success. I don't think FSG will sanction it again. 

I think we'll go all out for Konate at Leipzig. 

Some Twatter rumours about us being open to swapping Thiago in return for Coutinho. I'd have some of that. Thiago is obviously a brilliant player, but doesn't look suited to our style of play. 

Based upon no speculation at all, but I hope we look at the Championship if we're looking to fill out the squad this summer. Max Aarons has been absolute quality at right-back for Norwich and Michael Olise is a great prospect at Reading. I also like the look of Joao Pedro up front at Watford. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Some Twatter rumours about us being open to swapping Thiago in return for Coutinho. I'd have some of that. Thiago is obviously a brilliant player, but doesn't look suited to our style of play. 

Based upon no speculation at all, but I hope we look at the Championship if we're looking to fill out the squad this summer. Max Aarons has been absolute quality at right-back for Norwich and Michael Olise is a great prospect at Reading. I also like the look of Joao Pedro up front at Watford. 

Swap deals almost never happen. File that under extremely unlikely.