You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I have a feeling this summer is going to be a really strange one, and if we miss out on Champions League next season, a really bad one for us.

Don't think people appreciate the hole in our finances caused by the pandemic. Plus, we were probably counting on solving a lot of the problem of our huge wage bill for aging players by selling one of the front three to Barca or Madrid. But with those two in an even bigger financial hole, they aren't going to be coming in with 100m+ bids for Salah or Mane.

We need to get younger, we need to get deeper, and if we have to do it without the CL money, it could be a pretty disappointing summer for the transfer junkies.

Why are we the only club affected by the pandemic though. Other teams without any near the same amount of success as us are able to continue squad investment as normal 

Every club in the world is impacted by the pandemic.

There is great talent in France, Portugal and Holland that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Those clubs are likely skint. That's before we talk about the clubs in the bigger leagues.

I said it before I don't mind us doing the poor mouth routine. It's stupid to be like the Mancs and get taken to the cleaners. However, this summer feels like a big one with the owners. There is still a top team there but we just need a jumpstart again. If they can't give that to us, I think there will be hell to pay. 

On the whole, I think they have made a lot more good than bad decisions as a result of their business ability and getting in the best in their fields (Jurgen and Edwards) to put us in the position we got to. This summer will tell us a lot though because those lads can only work so many miracles to keep things together. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Every club in the world is impacted by the pandemic.

There is great talent in France, Portugal and Holland that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Those clubs are likely skint. That's before we talk about the clubs in the bigger leagues.

I said it before I don't mind us doing the poor mouth routine. It's stupid to be like the Mancs and get taken to the cleaners. However, this summer feels like a big one with the owners. There is still a top team there but we just need a jumpstart again. If they can't give that to us, I think there will be hell to pay. 

On the whole, I think they have made a lot more good than bad decisions as a result of their business ability and getting in the best in their fields (Jurgen and Edwards) to put us in the position we got to. This summer will tell us a lot though because those lads can only work so many miracles to keep things together. 

Do you not think as we were top of the league at Christmas, there's a pretty reasonable argument that if they gave a fuck, we'd have brought in a decent centre back on Jan 1st? It feels to me every window people say "it'll be different in then next window, it has to be" and this includes when we were spending the coutinho money as everybody had been led to believe by the journalists there was more money there than just what we were bringing in in sales, we were "just keeping our powder dry, waiting for the right player" - that was brought out of the whole VVD myth, which wasn't waiting for the right player, it was just we massively fucked up the transfer and instead of taking weeks it took half a year while we played nicely so not to get fucked by the PL. I have zero expectation of any level of investment in the team unless we miraculously fund raise from selling shite like origi. 

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We have a gaggle of unflushables - decent players but they are earning more than teams of their level would pay them, especially now. Until that is sorted I don't think there will be alot of movement.

Would have to take some financial blows but it would be worth it, they won’t cut their losses though. Paying shite off and or getting small fees.

Matip needs to go because he is made of chip sticks as we all know, Keita the same. Chamberlain and Origi are about as much use as a chocolate kettle.

All the ones on loan plus Shaqiri can go too, he is a waste of space also.

The plus is none of them really contribute even Matip as good as he is.

Some decisions to be made, swing the fucking axe.

33 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Would have to take some financial blows but it would be worth it, they won’t cut their losses though. Paying shite off and or getting small fees.

Matip needs to go because he is made of chip sticks as we all know, Keita the same. Chamberlain and Origi are about as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Nice, I like the thinking.

We’d piss the powerplay national league with the squad left.

Another trophy for the cabinet.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nice, I like the thinking.

We’d piss the powerplay national league with the squad left.

Another trophy for the cabinet.

Allison, Kelleher, TAA, VVD, Gomez, Davies, Robertson, Tsimikas, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Jones, Elliott, Minamino, Jota, Firmino, Salah, Mane. A new CB, Midfielder and attacker plus the youngsters. We would piss that league. 
All without the vast contributions of Adrian, Karius, Grujic, Wilson, Shaqiri, Keita, Origi, and Chamberlain et al. Would be nice to keep Wijnaldum and for Big Joel to be turned into the 6 Million Dollar man too.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you not think as we were top of the league at Christmas, there's a pretty reasonable argument that if they gave a fuck, we'd have brought in a decent centre back on Jan 1st? It feels to me every window people say "it'll be different in then next window, it has to be" and this includes when we were spending the coutinho money as everybody had been led to believe by the journalists there was more money there than just what we were bringing in in sales, we were "just keeping our powder dry, waiting for the right player" - that was brought out of the whole VVD myth, which wasn't waiting for the right player, it was just we massively fucked up the transfer and instead of taking weeks it took half a year while we played nicely so not to get fucked by the PL. I have zero expectation of any level of investment in the team unless we miraculously fund raise from selling shite like origi. 

I think they thought last summer that the team was so good we would win another title or at least come second and have a proper go at the Champions League. Music to their ears. In their defence, Thiago was world class, Tsimikas seemed a shrewd signing and Jota looked very good at Wolves. Again not wanting to make excuses for them, but the odds on our bad luck with injuries this season would have been enormous last summer.

I think it is possible that in the last window, clubs really jacked up the price for players we looked at. I know if I was say Lille and we came calling about Botman in January, that's what I would do. I think they still arrogantly thought that we would get top 4 and they were happy with that. I have a problem with that decision because if he went out and bought a defender we really like then aside from us being more likely to get top 4 this year, there is the added bonus that they will be more settled for next season. In some ways, kabak is a win-win though because if he doesn't cut it, we just saved ourselves a lot of money and if he does do well or at least show he could cut it, then 20 million is a steal.

I don't like them, but I think on the whole their decision making has put us in a far better position than when they took over. We have been very good for them and in fairness their decisions have given me moments I genuinely thought I would never experience again.

This summer does feel different. I would still feel we start it in August with the best starting eleven. We have some good-very good players after that, but the drop down in quality after about 16 players is huge. I don't like to put numbers on what I would expect them to spend, but even with a few outgoings, I would expect them to net spend a good bit. If they don't spend a good amount this summer, then it shows where their thinking is at. In fact, my gut is they will look to sell us and get out before Jurgen leaves because they know they won't win the lottery again and with the two Mancs and Chelsea always likely to spend big, it does leave much room for their coveted top 4 trophy. They certainly won't ever spend like those three so I would imagine their thinking will be to sell us to a sheikh, oligarch or the chinese for an absolutely enormous profit while our stock is massively high. 

I will say I think they are incredibly smart and astute people, so as much as they are tight arses at times, I would be genuinely shocked if they run such a valuable asset into the ground over the next 18 months when a solid bit of investment in that time can make them a lot more money in the long run, regardless of whether they plan to stay long term.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

if we managed to get rid of those you named and those on loan we don't want there has to be the potential to raise 100m+ Keita 30m Chamberlain 20m Origi 20m Shaqiri 15m Matip 10m i id say that's taking a hit on the sort of prices we ask 

5 minutes ago, andyj said:

if we managed to get rid of those you named and those on loan we don't want there has to be the potential to raise 100m+ Keita 30m Chamberlain 20m Origi 20m Shaqiri 15m Matip 10m i id say that's taking a hit on the sort of prices we ask 

We need to lower prices, we should have taken the money for Wilson off Burnley for instance. We can raise good money if we play the game, Edwards can do it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, andyj said:

Who’s paying £30m for Keita and on he back of what? Is it an insurance scam? Might as well keep him and pray we can get him playing a bit before his contract runs down or else accept the best we’ll do is find someone to cover his wages.

15 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I think they thought last summer that the team was so good we would win another title or at least come second and have a proper go at the Champions League. Music to their ears. In their defence, Thiago was world class, Tsimikas seemed a shrewd signing and Jota looked very good at Wolves. Again not wanting to make excuses for them, but the odds on our bad luck with injuries this season would have been enormous last summer.

I think it is possible that in the last window, clubs really jacked up the price for players we looked at. I know if I was say Lille and we came calling about Botman in January, that's what I would do. I think they still arrogantly thought that we would get top 4 and they were happy with that. I have a problem with that decision because if he went out and bought a defender we really like then aside from us being more likely to get top 4 this year, there is the added bonus that they will be more settled for next season. In some ways, kabak is a win-win though because if he doesn't cut it, we just saved ourselves a lot of money and if he does do well or at least show he could cut it, then 20 million is a steal.

I don't like them, but I think on the whole their decision making has put us in a far better position than when they took over. We have been very good for them and in fairness their decisions have given me moments I genuinely thought I would never experience again.

This summer does feel different. I would still feel we start it in August with the best starting eleven. We have some good-very good players after that, but the drop down in quality after about 16 players is huge. I don't like to put numbers on what I would expect them to spend, but even with a few outgoings, I would expect them to net spend a good bit. If they don't spend a good amount this summer, then it shows where their thinking is at. In fact, my gut is they will look to sell us and get out before Jurgen leaves because they know they won't win the lottery again and with the two Mancs and Chelsea always likely to spend big, it does leave much room for their coveted top 4 trophy. They certainly won't ever spend like those three so I would imagine their thinking will be to sell us to a sheikh, oligarch or the chinese for an absolutely enormous profit while our stock is massively high. 

I will say I think they are incredibly smart and astute people, so as much as they are tight arses at times, I would be genuinely shocked if they run such a valuable asset into the ground over the next 18 months when a solid bit of investment in that time can make them a lot more money in the long run, regardless of whether they plan to stay long term.

So to pick up on a couple of major things in there. Firstly, they won't be selling up any time soon, they believe we're only half way through our growth from their purchase. And I'm pretty confident this investment from Gerry Cardinale is because of LFC.

Secondly, I don't dispute they're clever fellas (just look at what their asset is worth after 10 years), but I honestly don't think they see not investing in the squad as running their asset into the ground. I think they believe they're so clever, they can do it on the cheap again. Klopp has net spent about 100m in the 5 and a half years he's been here. I would be amazed if they believe the solution to this problem is to invest 50-100m in players this summer. They'll believe in incremental improvement, if they sell say origi for 20m (yes I know), they'll believe they can find better value in the market than anyone else with that 20m and by default, that improves our side. 

Best thing for all concerned with Keita would be him playing a run of games for us from now, with a view to showing that he can stay fit, have an impact and hint at a future here or look of value to another club. Even more vital now with Henderson gone and Fabinho most likely having to be a centre half for the rest of the season. 

(I get the problems with the paragraph above). 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Firstly, they won't be selling up any time soon, they believe we're only half way through our growth from their purchase.

You were the one saying the club is worth over a billion. In the next ten years that is going to double and someone is going to pay it?

Don't see it man.

34 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You were the one saying the club is worth over a billion. In the next ten years that is going to double and someone is going to pay it?

Don't see it man.

According to the echo, this deal with Gerry Cardinale values LFC at $3bn and fsg as a whole at 7.5bn. FSG were leaking other stories in the echo recently about what I said in the previous post. It's why they're mad for getting matches on their own platform. I was listening to the Keiran Maguire podcast recently (maybe last week) where they were talking of the big 6 pushing for the next round of overseas rights to include 8 games per season per club outside of the deal so they can belong to the clubs.

There's loads of money for them to get yet, loads of it.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

According to the echo, this deal with Gerry Cardinale values LFC at $3bn and fsg as a whole at 7.5bn. FSG were leaking other stories in the echo recently about what I said in the previous post. It's why they're mad for getting matches on their own platform. I was listening to the Keiran Maguire podcast recently (maybe last week) where they were talking of the big 6 pushing for the next round of overseas rights to include 8 games per season per club outside of the deal so they can belong to the clubs.

TV rights would be a huge change - baseball clubs are built on them here in US.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It'd be interesting to see what happens. Obviously the smaller clubs are not interested in this idea. But if they get it, they are sure to replicate it in the domestic market too. Then it's surely just a matter of time before all games are sold that way. 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

One for the shitness of modern football thread that. Same goes for the super league some on here seem so keen on because we didn't get a penalty against someone once. I would hate for the TV rights to end up being divvied up the way it is in Spain, may as well just relegate 2/3rds of the league, have a top 6 mini league and be done with it if that's the way we're headed.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

One for the shitness of modern football thread that. Same goes for the super league some on here seem so keen on because we didn't get a penalty against someone once. I would hate for the TV rights to end up being divvied up the way it is in Spain, may as well just relegate 2/3rds of the league, have a top 6 mini league and be done with it if that's the way we're headed.

Baseball recognized this 30 years ago and have managed to keep a pretty good parity but it is done through rev sharing and luxury taxes on wages.

As an example Tampa has been to the AL championship twice in the last few years and they are in the bottom 5 for revenue. When I lived in AZ the Diamondbacks won the World Series in their 4th year of existence and they are in the bottom 10.