You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Spurs & Arsenal have been lent £295 million at 0.5% interest - so about 1.5 mil interest a year. Financing has probably never been easier to come by - if FSG wanted to commit. The centre back situation in January probably says it all as to their intents & attitude towards risk.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Spurs & Arsenal have been lent £295 million at 0.5% interest - so about 1.5 mil interest a year. Financing has probably never been easier to come by - if FSG wanted to commit. The centre back situation in January probably says it all as to their intents & attitude towards risk.

They have to pay principal too. I don't want them loading us with debt even if it is at very low interest rate. That will be the easiest way but long term, it'll be disastrous. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

They have to pay principal too. I don't want them loading us with debt even if it is at very low interest rate. That will be the easiest way but long term, it'll be disastrous. 

Agreed - and I am not suggesting they take out hundreds of millions in players - but my point is that financing is available at historically low rates. With net spend as it is there should be money regardless, but given the situation we find ourselves in it should not have been overly exerting to go out and buy a strong centre back option at the beginning of January, rather than hunting for crumbs and farming Minamino out to pay for it. 

A couple of interesting attacking midfielders may be free agents come the Summer, Julian Draxler & Hakan Calhanoglu.

Both very versatile attacking midfielders that can play across the front line or in an attacking midfield role, as a 10 if you like.

Both 27 and will be very familiar to Klopp given their respective histories in the Bundesliga.

Both very talented players, and would provide creativity in an area that we're currently a touch short in, however, both have their flaws.

Calhanolgu's work rate hasn't always been the greatest and he has had off the field issues in his past. Not sure how he'd get on under a disciplined manager like Klopp.

Draxler on the other hand always had decent work rate, but has his time at PSG actually seen his stock fall somewhat. It's hardly been a spectacular spell in Paris, and injuries have certainly restricted his appearances in these last 2 seasons.

Would either player be worth a gamble during the Summer?

• Upvote 1

It takes more than one season of not making top 4 before a club starts to stink of mediocrity in the eyes of players. Unless we're talking about the best of the best, I doubt many players would turn us down if we aren't top 4 this season. The problem would moreso be not having the Champions League money.

31 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It takes more than one season of not making top 4 before a club starts to stink of mediocrity in the eyes of players. Unless we're talking about the best of the best, I doubt many players would turn us down if we aren't top 4 this season. The problem would moreso be not having the Champions League money.

You've just failed your interview for the new press relations officer at chapel Street. 

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah.....depends a lot though on how club chooses to act.

If a club continues to show ambition, bids for top players, at top prices and offers top wages then no problem.....if they look ambitious and progressive, players see them as such.

If a club starts acting like a europa league outfit, shopping at the next level down, being put off by big wages etc, then players see them for frankly what they are.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Yeah.....depends a lot though on how club chooses to act.

If a club continues to show ambition, bids for top players, at top prices and offers top wages then no problem.....if they look ambitious and progressive, players see them as such.

If a club starts acting like a europa league outfit, shopping at the next level down, being put off by big wages etc, then players see them for frankly what they are.

Precisely, but even failing that, we have Jurgen Klopp at the helm and have recovered a certain aura these last few years. And even when were still shite after his first half season, we signed Matip, Mane and Gini. For a couple reasons, I don't personally think at this point not being top 4 for one season would be the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Precisely, but even failing that, we have Jurgen Klopp at the helm and have recovered a certain aura these last few years. And even when were still shite after his first half season, we signed Matip, Mane and Gini. For a couple reasons, I don't personally think at this point not being top 4 for one season would be the end of the world. 

We should be able to ride out one season yeah.

The worry is we as a club overreact and start acting like it is - hopefully that does not happen, it shouldn't do.

4 minutes ago, etho said:

Ismaila Sarrs agent reckons we pulled the plug on signing him in Jan

I know our attacking acquisitions in recent years tend to score more with us when they step up from their previous clubs, but he's only scored 5 goals in the Championship this season. If it was a straight choice between him and Jota last summer, we made the right one.  

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

I know our attacking acquisitions in recent years tend to score more with us when they step up from their previous clubs, but he's only scored 5 goals in the Championship this season. If it was a straight choice between him and Jota last summer, we made the right one.  

The agent is referring however to the Jan window that got closed. He also says Man Utd had a loan offer rejected. Could be just his agent putting him on the shop window.

17 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

The agent is referring however to the Jan window that got closed. He also says Man Utd had a loan offer rejected. Could be just his agent putting him on the shop window.

Yeah, strange one. The agent goes into a lot of specifics in terms of us looking for him in January. Maybe we were hoping to ship Origi and others out in the same window to finance it. 

44 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Yeah, strange one. The agent goes into a lot of specifics in terms of us looking for him in January. Maybe we were hoping to ship Origi and others out in the same window to finance it. 

Origi will be here until the end of his contract I'm sure. He got a huge bumper deal after the CL win if I recall correctly. Noone would be able to buy him without us subsidising some of his wages. 

On 10/02/2021 at 20:13, 3 Stacks said:

It takes more than one season of not making top 4 before a club starts to stink of mediocrity in the eyes of players.

We're well ahead of the game there then, because we stink of mediocrity after half a season as league champions.

26 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Origi and his agent should be brought in and shown a lowlights reel of his so called efforts and asked if they’re acceptable. He knows he needs to do fuck all but if he moved would have to move his arse and try. Absolute disgrace.

I’m pretty sure that his agent will come out of that meeting demanding even more commission from Origi for the belting job he’s done for him. 

Origi has always looked like the players he is. Even when he was highly touted before we signed him he looked like nothing but raw pace. Even when he was scoring important match changing goals you knew it wasn’t symptomatic of things to come. He was the worst player on the pitch in the Spurs final then he scored. Physical attributes aside and let’s be honest there’s no point being strong and fast if you can’t be arsed being strong and fast, he’s the most unKlopp player we have. 

1 minute ago, El Dangerous said:

I’m pretty sure that his agent will come out of that meeting demanding even more commission from Origi for the belting job he’s done for him. 

Origi has always looked like the players he is. Even when he was highly touted before we signed him he looked like nothing but raw pace. Even when he was scoring important match changing goals you knew it wasn’t symptomatic of things to come. He was the worst player on the pitch in the Spurs final then he scored. Physical attributes aside and let’s be honest there’s no point being strong and fast if you can’t be arsed being strong and fast, he’s the most unKlopp player we have. 

Not running, pulling out of challenges barely trying at all, got it made. He cannot go quick enough. Who will buy the wastrel, no one with any sense.