You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Regardless of whom we bring in, I think it's time for a hefty clear out.

Matip, Keita, Origi, Minamino, Ox, maybe Tsimikas and Shaq, all need to make way for quality players who'll regularly contribute.

Also a real shame that Gini looks Barca bound. The lad has been an iron man in our midfield this year.

• Upvote 1

I think buying a centre back will be dependent on what we do with Kabak. There's been talk of Konate or Upamecano but we shouldn't fool ourselves that we'll go above and beyond Kabak if we decide to keep him. Klopp spoke about Matip today as if he unequivocally wants him back, so if we take him to his word, the CB's will be Virgil, Gomez, Matip and Kabak. If Kabak stinks and he goes in the summer, then other possibilities open up.

To me, the only certainty is we'll buy a midfielder. Bissouma seems likely. Someone like Anguissa as an alternative wouldn't surprise me either, especially if Fulham are relegated. 

I don't think we'll do anything major in attack unless there's a big departure. In that case, we'll be in the mix for Mbappe, but that's a pipe dream. Maybe we'll sign a young #9, and that will be it. Even if someone like Shaqiri or Minamino goes, Elliott will probably be the replacement. 

• Upvote 2

Agree with 3 Stacks, If Kabak performs to a decent level then he will be the guy. Konate will cost double the amount and likely a bit more in wages and has a bit of a injury history(though imo its probably a bit like a early Gerrard suffering growing pains). The club will think the 20ml they could save with Kabak instead of Konate could be most of the noney to bring in Gini replacement. 

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Matip, Keita, Origi, Minamino, Ox, maybe Tsimikas and Shaq, all need to make way for quality players who'll regularly contribute.

Also a real shame that Gini looks Barca bound. The lad has been an iron man in our midfield this year.

It's a bit unrealistic to change the 8 players you mentioned, plus Adrian seems like he won't get a new deal.

We have a lot of players that only have 2 years left on their contract so that will be another financial concern too.

I understand the logic in moving most of them on, but it's too much for one transfer window. 

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Not football manager man. Ox, Tsimikas won't be sold. Nobody is taking Keita at this time of his career with his injuries and sub-par performances.

15 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Not football manager man. Ox, Tsimikas won't be sold. Nobody is taking Keita at this time of his career with his injuries and sub-par performances.

I don’t know about that. He was super highly rated in Bundesliga and we’ve seen plenty of talents in the past who failed to make the step-up, returning and excelling; Kagawa, Boateng, Sahin. We probably won’t recoup the money we splashed on him though. 

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

It's a bit unrealistic to change the 8 players you mentioned, plus Adrian seems like he won't get a new deal.

We have a lot of players that only have 2 years left on their contract so that will be another financial concern too.

I understand the logic in moving most of them on, but it's too much for one transfer window. 

Most of them offer nothing so we wouldn't need to sign eight replacements. 

I'd keep Shaq but bin the rest. 

24 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Davies plays left back?

Tsimikas has played in the champions league and at a higher level and its his main position. After the crisis we've had in defence this season it'd be mad to get rid of Tsimikas 

• Upvote 3

Marquee centre half.

Replacement for Wijnaldum.

Shite out - Origi, Keita, Minamino.

Our other unreliable/fringe players like Oxlade, Shaqiri, Matip will probably stay as can't have that much turnover in a squad in a summer, but we should be in no way relying on them.

Finding permanent homes for likes of Grujic and Wilson might add a few quid to pot for centre half and midfielder - every penny helps as these should be proper marquee signings.

Do wonder if maybe one of the front 3 will go to help start/fund the rebuild of the attack that will have to happen one way or another in next couple of years or so.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Finding permanent homes for likes of Grujic and Wilson might add a few quid to pot for centre half and midfielder - every penny helps as these should be proper marquee signings.

Isn't Grujic's contract running out this summer? He'll leave on a free. Adrian as well.

Bissouma should be one of our targets irrespective of whether Gini is going. We also need a more than capable backup for TAA. Not saying Neco is not capable but if he's not able to displace Trent even when the latter was not playing well, then the signs are not too good. I think it's very difficult to find a taker for Keita but if we can, it will be at half price for what we brought him for and even that is a lot of money for him at this stage. Guess we will see how Minamino progresses at Southampton before we take a call in the summer. I agree that Origi has to move on though and maybe even Matip.

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

Why on earth would we sell Tsimikas? 

Exactly talk about not giving the guy a chance ffs we haven't even seen him play yet. Also liked what Klopp had to say about Matip basically he was injured before season started we have had to push him into service due to circumstances beyond our control , player put team before himself the haters need to wins their necks in . Compare and contrast with Keita. Also when they see our new CBs in action we will hopefully recognise Matip for what he is a rolls Royce of a CB. Kabak and Fab will provide a few wtf moments before season is over . I actually rate him it's going to be fun and lord what I would give to win premiership with our three main CBs out . Copy and paste the Bart Simpson gif .

We will have a criteria we will use to analyse all prospective signings. He will need to be durable, technical, strong, fast, a great teammate, a beautiful smile,  a big game player. Stick that into Google and you get Gini Wijnaldum. Just pay the man, he'll be like a new signing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3