You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ozan Kabak

VladimirIlyich

22 hours ago, neko said:

Shame - I thought he did really well, and showed a lot of potential.

His stock will certainly rise.

I agree and could see him ending up with Spurs or Leicester, even the Bitters. Bit of a pisser since we have invested time and effort getting him up to speed in the PL.  I would have hoped we would had the good sense to keep him . There is no guarantee Gomez and Virg are going to slot straight back in. Especially Gomez who could easily get injured again. Matip is Matip and can't be relied upon. False economy not keeping him as I'm sure he will sell if need be for more than we will pay. 

In an ideal world I'd have liked to have kept him: next season we'll have Virg and Joe coming back from long term injuries (the quiet around Gomez makes me more than a bit concerned next to the positive noise around van Dijk). Matip's fitness we all know about, and Konate's we don't. Having a quality extra CB would mean we'd eliminate a lot of the risks around that, and would give us a season to see how the lads bounce back from their long layoffs as well as keep an eye on Matip's ongoing troubles. If by the end of next season there's a tough decision to be made (and Matip is in his last year of contract as of next summer) then we've got a replacement ready and waiting in the squad - or we've got Kabak on the cheap and can probably sell him for a small profit.

But I do get the financial reality of having an £18m fifth choice at the moment. Is the difference between Kabak and Phillips for the (hopefully no more than a) dozen or so games next season worth the money when money is tight? Probably not, to be honest.

Gutted we never got to sing his fucking song and all.

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

I agree and could see him ending up with Spurs or Leicester, even the Bitters. 

West Ham would be wise to have a look at him, too. It depends on whether they see this season as something to build on or they're happy to revert to type.

5 hours ago, magicrat said:

I agree and could see him ending up with Spurs or Leicester, even the Bitters. Bit of a pisser since we have invested time and effort getting him up to speed in the PL.  I would have hoped we would had the good sense to keep him . There is no guarantee Gomez and Virg are going to slot straight back in. Especially Gomez who could easily get injured again. Matip is Matip and can't be relied upon. False economy not keeping him as I'm sure he will sell if need be for more than we will pay. 

I'd swap him for that Soyuncu at Leicester, no messing....I think he will go on to become a very good centre half that lad.

I understand the financial concerns but next season we need to prove that we learnt from this. It is better to have an extra CB, who knows our system, than be scrapping around in Jan. 

We have potentially 4 CB, who we have no idea if they will stay injury free (Apart from Matip), so having an extra body is the sensible approach. Otherwise it could chunks of the season with Nat and another or a midfielder moved back. 

If we can get him cheap, with low wages, it is a no risk purchase for me.

I'd keep him as an investment, if anything. It would be easy to strongarm Schalke for a discount and then even if we didn't rate him, we could flip him for a profit if we wanted. But I'm sure there's also the fact that this wouldn't be mega ethical or nice.

He's shit, it would be totally crazy to sign him. He's not good enough on the ball to play for a top side. That's why we did much better once we put Rhys Williams there, who is miles ahead of him in terms of passing and composure. 

He wasn't even that good a defender either, he was a liability and had bad positioning many times. Fuck him off and buy somebody else.

• Upvote 1

I didn't rate him at all the start, he looked like a Turkish Lovren. But he did get better.

Ideally, he would replace brittle bones Matip and for a bargain price too. I suspect he's an inch in height and a yard in pace off being a top centre back though.

25 minutes ago, aws said:

I hope we buy him and Konate because we don't want to be forced into relying on Fab again. We can sort out the CB position properly next summer when we know who we can rely on long-term. 

As an aside, we need somebody who can cover for Fab if necessary. His role is one of the most valuable in the team. 

1 hour ago, Butch said:

That Soyuncu is a very good player, shit hair do, I'd like to see him here. Gomez probably will never be the player he was. 

Maybe keep Kabak, loan him to another prem club and get him back snappy if we need too. 

He's fucking shite and a snide. 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He's fucking shite and a snide. 

He really isn't shite....he has been very good for Leicester and i could see him getting even better.

And as for being snide - all the better, we could do with a bit more in the side.

Kabak was never going to be signed, and didn't show anywhere near enough to force that stance to change.

If he's got potential, he'll need to play to realise that. And he ain't going to play, is he?

We're not going to spend that kind of money on him as a back up, when we already have 2 of those.

Keep Phillips and Williams until at least January, get Konate in and get the other 3 fit (stop laughing at the back).

I have cold sweats thinking about the high potential of a clusterfuck with Gomez's injury situation.  

Virgil perhaps in a better place, after all he was close to playing in the Euros, but Gomez feels like he's miles away.  

And I'm hardly bouncing when thinking about Matip's future.  

And Konate also has the potential for injuries.  

Look, when bad things to a club, they happen to us usually, and if someone told me in September that all four were injured for a game, I'd not be surprised.  

Chances are we're going to be playing Frogger with those four, hoping two of four are fit to play at any one time.  That may be possible in a year's time when perhaps some game time raises some further niggles and smaller lay offs, but 2021 could still see substantial layoffs for Virg, Gomez and Matip. 

It's a really shit way to start a season, I don't envy Klopp, I think he perhaps needs to make a difficult decision around selling one of Matip or Gomez, or buying two CBs this window.  One CB won't cut it, and if that one is Konate...it's a risk that likely to backfire spectacularly.