You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ozan Kabak

VladimirIlyich

He played well.  I don’t know what game people watch.  We play a high line and they were running in behind him.  He played McBurnie offside and then is in a bad position and scores an own goal and apparently that makes him lucky.  Any time any forward got in he got back and made the clearance.  Exactly the same way Van Dijk would himself.  He won his headers and played it simple clipping the ball down the line with his weak foot.

He is very raw. In fairness to him, I'd like to see him with a fully fit and confident Liverpool side. 

I see a lad with potential but he is not in Botman's class right now imo and I feel if we are judging him against players of his age group and players in a similar enough price range, that is the best way to make a decision.

Still he is very young and if he can show solid improvements for the next few months, then maybe.

He got caught under the ball quite a lot today. Simple body positioning will solve that but we can't wait for him to learn that whilst playing. It has to be Fabinho and Philips going forward. Kabak has done OK. He's not been as bad as some suggest. His situation is basically our entire season. Shouldn't be playing but probably has to. He is only 20 too but i can't see us taking up the buy option if his current form continues. Not to the top top class standard we need.

• Upvote 1

I think he's Coates level. Not terrible, will have a good career, but at this point I don't think he's ready for the Premier League.

Hopefully he scores a blinding overhead kick before he goes. Also hopefully he proves me wrong, he's certainly not as bad as some have made out, happy to have him in the squad during this shite season.

I’d love to see the performances at schalke that had him rated at £20m +. 

I get how young he is and it’s a new country but the kid can’t even read the flight of the ball or the game and these are basics.  

He’s nowhere near ready for what we need and doesn’t look like he’s got the potential to get to the top in this league.

I said it before but there’s no way Klopp was ever interested in him despite what the media said. Says something when Schalke forced him on us as a last minute favour yet are having their worst ever season. 

Anyway, he’s here now so hopefully he shuts me up. 

I think Kabak and Phillips were a bit let down by Jurgen today.

They dealt with the first Sheffield set up adequately ,but when the threat changed completely with Burke , who is enigmatic but like lightning , we didn't do the obvious thing and drop 10 yards , particularly at 2-0 up ,  and instead left them having to hold a high line with a fast runner from deep going past them , and both of them had hairy moments as a result.

I feel a bit sorry for central defenders generally at the moment as they are being made to look dodgy on occasions when they have already done their job correctly and then have to race back like loons making recovery tackles only to see a linesman's flag finally go up. Two years ago the 'own goal ' incident on Kabak ends with a liner's flag and a pat on the back by a commentator for keeping a good line , now he is apparently lucky.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Butch said:

He's come in at the wrong time unfortunately, a baptism of fire. If that own goal was allowed it would have been a disaster for the lad. I think he'll be good in time but he's not going to get any time now. 

To be fair, both Matip and Trent have scored similar oggies but saw the lino come to their aide with the offside flag.

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I’d love to see the performances at schalke that had him rated at £20m +. 

I get how young he is and it’s a new country but the kid can’t even read the flight of the ball or the game and these are basics.  

He’s nowhere near ready for what we need and doesn’t look like he’s got the potential to get to the top in this league.

I said it before but there’s no way Klopp was ever interested in him despite what the media said. Says something when Schalke forced him on us as a last minute favour yet are having their worst ever season. 

Anyway, he’s here now so hopefully he shuts me up. 

He's a kid with loads of Bundesliga experience and some Champions League experience. As bad as his performances have been at times, it's really not out of the realms of possibility that we had indeed been interested for a while. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Not good enough. Phillips is far better. I hope he proves me wrong but nah he gives me a bad feeling. 

Phillips is ahead of him in development but Phillips is much, much too slow to be a centre back at the top level.

He's a good player apart from that but it's a HUGE problem when you've got the likes of McBurnie looking like prime OG Ronaldo just going past you without breaking a sweat. There is no way a team at our level can go into games terrified that players can just breeze past one of our centre backs any time they're matched up one-on-one. It's no wonder that Klopp has instructed the fullbacks to stick right next to him and not go past the halfway line when you have someone with that big a deficit of pace in defense.

Kabak hasn't been good, but at least he looks athletically capable of playing at Premier League level, if he can sort out his concentration.

I don't think either Joe gomez or big virg will need to worry about him taking either of their places when they eventually return. 

Barring of course either lose their remarkable pace, I think they're safe. 

But to be fair to kabak, he's only 20 and has come into a team shot of any confidence what so ever. 

Put him into our team of last season and we'd probably think he was the second coming of Franco baresi 

He hasn’t got any outstanding quality to his game. He’s quicker than Phillips and Williams but he isn’t really all that quick. He’s not the tallest nor the strongest of blokes. He’s not brilliant on the ball. He’ll improve as he’s only 20, but not convinced he’ll ever get to the level we need him to be.

10 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Far too early to judge his potential long term. But the way opponents runs in behind him all the time is worrying, his positioning and awareness of what’s going on around him doesnt look convincing. 

Him and Phillips together certainly isn’t a very good pairing, even if we got away with it today.

I think he's finding learning to play the high line tough. He looks slow, but I don't think he is, I think he just gets really square, so when he needs to run back in, he still has to turn 1st. 

As for them not being a good partnership, they're pretty much our 6th and 7th choice centre backs with our 3rd choice keeper behind. It's not going to be pretty. And it's their 1st game together. 

• Upvote 3

Too easy to criticise this kid. It's an almost impossible task he's been parachuted into. 

Like just about every footballer, he'd look vastly better beside Van Dijk with Fabinho shielding them. 

He's made plenty of mistakes so far but hopefully he'll be a bit more solid from now on. Fabinho's return will help. 

• Upvote 3

If we could roll Kabak and Phillips into one defender we'd be ok. I understand why Phillips is being liked as he great in the air,very commanding,but his lack of pace is an absolute killer at this level. I think that while Kabak looks the lesser player at the moment his attributes,a bit of pace and ok in the air,will be more beneficial long term as poor positioning can be worked on and pace can cover that up a little. He looked a better defender with Hendo but two youngsters together can often highlight each other's weak areas.