You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ozan Kabak

VladimirIlyich

2 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I thought he was ... not great?

Seen some stuff online about how he was our best player but IMO he was far from it. If it were a pre-season game and you saw him put that performance out there you'd be thinking "well, he's young, he looks like he understands the game all right and maybe the on-the-ball stuff will feel more natural when he's not overawed."

But to be honest, it was more or less fine, and that's kind of what we need from him right now. No one is looking for him to be van Dijk, just to be significantly better than Rhys and Phillips. Which he was, so job done, I suppose.

I thought Robbo was our best player myself. Kabak did well but its a shame he cant play alongside an actual defender at centre half for a while.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I thought Robbo was our best player myself. Kabak did well but its a shame he cant play alongside an actual defender at centre half for a while.

Good point, we can't really gauge how good Ozan is until he has a few games playing next to Virgil. 

I think some are expecting too much from our centre backs at the moment. I'll argue none of Rhys, Nat and even Kabak have let us down in any of the games they've played. It's like some expect a Virgil mark 2 performance from anyone selected as a CB for us.

Kabak is 20, he's not only come to a new team but one struggling for results. He's also playing in front of a keeper that wiped him out on his debut to conceed a needless goal.

True, there's been nothing spectacular about the lad in the 2 games he's played. What do people expect? Given the way the team has played, Im sure Jurgen's told him to just go out and keep things simple, not go galavanting off up field or try Cryuff turns just in front of our box.

The kid is settling in.

• Upvote 6

Just now, dockers_strike said:

I think some are expecting too much from our centre backs at the moment. I'll argue none of Rhys, Nat and even Kabak have let us down in any of the games they've played. It's like some expect a Virgil mark 2 performance from anyone selected as a CB for us.

Kabak is 20, he's not only come to a new team but one struggling for results. He's also playing in front of a keeper that wiped him out on his debut to conceed a needless goal.

True, there's been nothing spectacular about the lad in the 2 games he's played. What do people expect? Given the way the team has played, Im sure Jurgen's told him to just go out and keep things simple, not go galavanting off up field or try Cryuff turns just in front of our box.

The kid is settling in.

Rhys wasn’t great vs United.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

He wasnt bad either. Even Virgil makes mistakes with lazy back heeled attempted clearances or the odd missed header.

I am as magnanimous as they come in regards to our recent performances, but Williams was and has been god awful. There’s a reason we haven’t seen him since the United fiasco. The Adrian of center backs.

It's been impossible to tell his level so far. But I kind of see that as a good thing, he's certainly not looking massively out of his depth yet. The thing I'm finding strange so far is I've no idea how fast he is. - maybe positionally he's doing so well he's not having to use it. He was trailing for the 3rd at the weekend, but both he (and the team) we're all over the place. 

I don’t hold Kabak responsible for the mistakes he’s making, they were likely to occur, and he’s doing his best. Right now, however, Nat Philips is our best defender and should  be picked ahead of Kabak. Ideally Kabak should be given time, like Fabinho was when he came to us, to bed in and learn in training.

Not that I’m that arsed. This season (CL apart) has gone. As far as I’m concerned what we do now is just  preparing for the next season. With that in mind I’m all right with Kakak playing. It is after all the best way to learn.

7 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He’s a young lad plunged into a nightmare situation whilst still learning his trade. Impossible to judge him

You,re right. The question is should he be plunged into the nightmare situastion, when we probably have better options? Is it fair to the player himself?

I think we can begin to make some judgements about him. He's not quick, not dominant in the air and has been caught out positionally on a couple of occasions (and not just in the wind satdee). On the positive side his short passing is crisp and well weighted.

Long way to go to prove himself but he only has 3 months to do so. I wish him luck.

33 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

You,re right. The question is should he be plunged into the nightmare situastion, when we probably have better options? Is it fair to the player himself?

As it's a loan deal with an option to buy, you'd assume this is a trial by fire so playing in the first team rather than training with the under 23s is the only realistic way of finding out if he's worth the investment.

I know it’s only been 3 games but this lad isn’t going to be good enough is he? 

Struggling to see what his strengths are to be honest. I guess he has a good pass completion rate, seeing as all he does is pass it to Trent under no pressure, but he’s not quick, he’s rash in the tackle and he doesn’t dominate in the air. It makes you wonder how dogshit Ben Davies must look in training if he can’t get a game at the moment. 

Of all the fit centre backs Nat Phillips is by far the best one at the club. 

3 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

I know it’s only been 3 games but this lad isn’t going to be good enough is he? 

Struggling to see what his strengths are to be honest. I guess he has a good pass completion rate, seeing as all he does is pass it to Trent under no pressure, but he’s not quick, he’s rash in the tackle and he doesn’t dominate in the air. It makes you wonder how dogshit Ben Davies must look in training if he can’t get a game at the moment. 

Of all the fit centre backs Nat Phillips is by far the best one at the club. 

I am happy with Philips in as much as he is no worse than about 85% of the yard dogs who play at centre half in the PL,but he is painfully slow and this probably Klopp's biggest issue with him. I think a good part of the madness of playing Fabinho and Hendo at CB is that despite them not being lightning quick they both can move the ball very quickly. In fact,some of Henderson's passes from CB into our forwards have embarrassed our current midfielders with their quality. He has been a big loss from midfield and Klopp shouldnt have allowed it to happen as now we have him nowhere at all.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think the derby showing was his worst game for us so far especially the first 25 minutes when he looked real nervy. Bit surprised by that to be honest because he's played in Schalke v Dortmund derbies, hasnt he? 

3 times Schalke have played Dortmund since he joined

He played 1 minute in one game

Injured the next

and Suspended this year

• Upvote 2

I would love him to succeed because he seems to really want to play here and if it comes off, he is 20 and 20 odd million is a steal. The additional element of sticking it to Carra, who was a disgrace on Saturday. 

I see some raw potential and I sympathise with him because imagine if he was in a settled confident team. However, there are aspects of his game that concern me. As others pointed out normally you become a top defender after 25 or 26 so who knows.

As a club that sees itself as challenging for the top honours, I don't think we have time to see if this lad can cut it. This season is different though so it actually is the perfect audition. 

If he can show some of his form from the Leipzig game then that would give me some encouragement.