You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) Premier League - 3/2/21 - 20:15

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Don't know about Ruud but Shearer was a fuckton slower and changed his game massively.  Still managing to be successful cause he could finish from anywhere and be allowed to elbow whoever he pleased. 

Lucas never recovered from his.  Turning into a crab over night. 

A player in a pivotal (and pivoting), twisty-turny, jumping position like CB... no guarantees.

31 minutes ago, Aventus said:

The last time we saw that team start a game together. 

20201210_222603.jpg

I've posted this before, and somebody said it was also the first time they all started a game together. I couldn't be arsed fact checking it. 

Incredible if it's true though. Our best XI has started a game together exactly once. 

Let’s be honest, they were fucking awful in that game.

55 minutes ago, Judge said:

From being the world`s best team back to being the laughing stock and «one season wonders», all because of cheap owners. They could have built a football dynasty like us in the 70/80s but failed.

We have aging players as backbone in the team, Gini on the way out, and we pin our hopes this season on the return of a former Wolves-reserve. Dark days.

Pinning our hopes on the return of a former Wolves reserve? Makes you sound like one of them Liverpool fans from Norfolk or summit calling 5Live & talking shite.

Watching this made me angry. You could see it from the start. Players strollig around, unconcentrated, sloppy, looking like they'd already won the match. Mentality monsters? Don't make me laugh. Mentality mignons, that's what they've become. Brighton won deservedly, they wanted it more.

Title definately gone now. That's exactly what they deserve. Shameful performance

1 hour ago, Judge said:

From being the world`s best team back to being the laughing stock and «one season wonders», all because of cheap owners. They could have built a football dynasty like us in the 70/80s but failed.

We have aging players as backbone in the team, Gini on the way out, and we pin our hopes this season on the return of a former Wolves-reserve. Dark days.

We had essentially no chance of being a football dynasty with the likes of City around, and what's this aging backbone? Our best players are like 29. That's prime age. 

You can't say we could have had a dynasty and then say we have an old team. That makes no sense. 

Brighton completely did a number on us tonight, a spawny winner was a bonus. No way were we ever scoring .

It was hardly a surprise either given how we've played at home since the New Year. Title gone and a major battle to get top 4 awaits . I'm too gutted to rant about the players or even that jolly fool Macca blathering on comms. 

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We had essentially no chance of being a football dynasty with the likes of City around, and what's this aging backbone? Our best players are like 29. That's prime age. 

You can't say we could have had a dynasty and then say we have an old team. That makes no sense. 

Of course there is. Still.

Yes and there has definitely been an eye on that. Keita is/was a big part of the age mix - same with Ox. That is 100 mil right there. They just haven't panned out.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Of course there is. Still.

Yes and there has definitely been an eye on that. Keita is/was a big part of the age mix - same with Ox. That is 100 mil right there. They just haven't panned out.

The Premier League is too competitive for a dynasty. Or, it's too competitive for us. City can dominate it financially, and therefore can realistically win 3 on the spin, even though they haven't yet. I don't think we can. 

Playing the false 9 set up just to accomodate Bobby is killing us. After the previous match switching to a diamond and watching us play well to see this should make it obvious that sticking to the same tactics that are resulting in losses and draws is not a good way to go.

Salah had a couple of good chances but other than that, there was never a point we looked like scoring. Bobby missed a golden opportunity in the second half that Jota or Mane or even Salah would have done anything for.

Must do better.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Premier League is too competitive for a dynasty. Or, it's too competitive for us. City can dominate it financially, and therefore can realistically win 3 on the spin, even though they haven't yet. I don't think we can. 

Yea, I don't think we can either. And they haven't. We are not talking about Bayern or PSG dynasties. Leagues are part of it - European finals probably moreso. City would trade everyone of their eleventy League Cups for a single CL trophy.

4 hours ago, Judge said:

Laughing stock? One season wonders? Winning the Champions League and the Premier League over the last 2 seasons. Get a fucking grip. 

Thoroughly depressing performance again and our failure to shoot is really angering me. Firmino looks surplus to requirements and the chopping and changing is killing any chance of consistency. Yet another loss of a major player in Alisson didn't make too much of a difference but where the fuck is Fabinho now? Any slim hopes of retaining the title have gone now and it feels horrible after such a great previous two seasons. If we miss out on CL football this season things will get even worse.

1 minute ago, leslie said:

This is back to the dark days of Houllier, he could beat the top teams then struggle against the lesser teams.

Come on mate. Back to the dark days of Houllier? Really? A bit of perspective eh. Getting massively pissed off with the reaction or over reaction of some of our ‘fans’? It’s like the last 2 years never happened. We’ve got our best 3 CDs out for the season, 2 of our best Mids have had to fill in there. We got Jota who was brilliant in the few games he played who’s been out for 3 months. A new LB to give Robbo a rest every now & again, who’s also been out most of the season. So we’ve been forced to overplay pretty much the same core of players 2-3 times every fucking week, The players are running on empty.  Unprecedented injuries in a unprecedented schedule is taking its toll. Back yo the dark days of Houllier my arse. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, leslie said:

FSG Are claiming cash is short, so what has happened to the trophy money from winning the world club championship,

the European Cup , plus the prem. league. that would have been in the region of 100 million not to mention the TV revenue.

Mate, I’m not sure you know........But where in the midst of a fucking pandemic, no one knows when fans will be back, it might not even be next season, certainly not to capacity anyway. We’re losing millions a month & got a big wage bill. So yeah, cash maybe a bit short at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Mate, I’m not sure you know........But where in the midst of a fucking pandemic, no one knows when fans will be back, it might not even be next season, certainly not to capacity anyway. We’re losing millions a month & got a big wage bill. So yeah, cash maybe a bit short at the moment. 

If that's the case, I wonder whether it's been put to the players that they might take a pay cut... along the lines of what's happened to millions of other people around the world, who were lucky enough to keep their jobs in the pandemic... so that the business might continue to be "successful".

Although I guess, like many businesses around the world, that might just be used to maintain profit rather than performance.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think ultimately we need to decide or figure out if we're mentally and physically burnt to a crisp or if this is just an injury issue and the circumstances of this particular season. I have no doubt the club thinks it's the latter. In that case, I doubt there will be many changes this summer, tactically or in terms of the squad. 

I don't know myself, this might sound stupid when you've got Nat Phillips and Henderson at the back, but it's gonna be hard not to want the squad to change quite a bit. Maybe that's just being a spoilt fan, but there you go. 

I'd love to see a clear out in the summer and a bit of a rethink tactically. The squad is so unbalanced with midfielders now. Maybe we need more forwards, one thing that stuck out last night was how little pace there was in the side.

The centre back issue is what cost us a goal last night, but it's not the reason we were so toothless going forward.

Every player we had in midfield and attack with the occasional exception of Thiago and Trent wanted four or five touches before they did anything with the ball. There wasn't often much space in behind, but even when some appeared, we didn't take advantage of it.

Big part of this is down to Klopp and the loyalty he shows . I have to bring it up and seems more pertinent now but a decision like extending lallanas  contract for a month (while club actively trying to furlough staff) then not play him in case he got injured and scuppered free contract negotiations, smacked to me of Klopp trying to reward the team, for the last three years efforts. Yes it showed loyalty but for me it rewarded minimal contribution to our success. Now we have Bobby a passenger for over a year coasting through matches like Div. Incidentally Div who got a contract extension based on two performances. Love the man but he has a blind spot to players who have served him well in the past.