You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Three Kings

What a brilliant documentary this is. Get it watched any way you can. 

Bill Shankly. 

John 'Jock' Stein

Matt Busby

May you all rest in peace knowing you achieved great things. Quite possibly the best British football managers of all time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other night and it was good. I didnt know anything about Jock Stein apart from he was a great manager and how he died at Ninian Park. It refers to him being not well liked by a lot of people at the club because he wasn't a Catholic. One thing that stops me liking Scottish football is all that nonsense. 

I've seen most of the Shankly stuff and my Dad has told me a thousand stories about him.

Matt Busby came across as a very likeable character. I think even some rival fans back then wouldn't have minded them winning the European Cup in 1968. It seemed to have got more bitter between both clubs after they got relegated and came back up. Probably because we were good and they were shite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Matt Busby came across as a very likeable character. I think even some rival fans back then wouldn't have minded them winning the European Cup in 1968. It seemed to have got more bitter between both clubs after they got relegated and came back up. Probably because we were good and they were shite.

I can't stand the bastards but I've got respect for them. A proper club unlike City. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Watched this the other night and it was good. I didnt know anything about Jock Stein apart from he was a great manager and how he died at Ninian Park. It refers to him being not well liked by a lot of people at the club because he wasn't a Catholic. One thing that stops me liking Scottish football is all that nonsense. 

I've seen most of the Shankly stuff and my Dad has told me a thousand stories about him.

Same, I knew very little about Jock Stein and didn't realise he was so important to the development of Celtic as a club. Am I remembering right he was the first British manager to win the European Cup? That's some kind of special, that.

As for the Munich air disaster, I had something in my eye when they showed the photo of the players who had either passed or seriously injured. I certainly hope to never see an impression of a plane anywhere again after seeing what so many went through. As for Busby himself, what a guy to come back from that and manage the club again. And initially to make the club successful when they didn't even have a stadium due to events prior? Wow.

The only thing that surprised me about Shankly was that he resigned at the top when he could have gone on and achieved a lot more. What possessed him to bow out and even though he was still sad about it, to not try and get back involved somehow? Would Paisley really have stopped him if he'd said "I made a mistake, I want to be the boss again"?

46 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Same, I knew very little about Jock Stein and didn't realise he was so important to the development of Celtic as a club. Am I remembering right he was the first British manager to win the European Cup? That's some kind of special, that.

He was mate. Legend of the club protestant or not, nobody was really that arsed other than a few bigoted directors. the fans absolutely worshipped him. 

As for the Munich air disaster, I had something in my eye when they showed the photo of the players who had either passed or seriously injured. I certainly hope to never see an impression of a plane anywhere again after seeing what so many went through. As for Busby himself, what a guy to come back from that and manage the club again. And initially to make the club successful when they didn't even have a stadium due to events prior? Wow.

Yep same. I didn't realise he did what Shankly did after leaving his role as manager. Ferguson is doing the same now, casting a shadow. Can't blame them one bit but it does make the new guys job harder with a legend up in the stands watching you. 

The only thing that surprised me about Shankly was that he resigned at the top when he could have gone on and achieved a lot more. What possessed him to bow out and even though he was still sad about it, to not try and get back involved somehow? Would Paisley really have stopped him if he'd said "I made a mistake, I want to be the boss again"?

I was going to post this last night but if you watch the press conference when Shanks resigns, his face almost looks droopy on one side, maybe he had a stroke but didn't want it out in the open? In later interviews it isn't as apparent. I might be wrong but I only got onto it last night. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I can't stand the bastards but I've got respect for them. A proper club unlike City. 

They probably went like Evertonians in the late seventies and early eighties. I can remember being in school when Liverpool were winning stuff yet Granada tv would obsess over Man Utd and wank about Bryan Robson. Used to ask my dad why they got more publicity than us when they were shit.

City were seen as the "proper" club for a while as they had been in and out of the divisions and mainly had local support compared to Man Utd. Now they are just Abu Dhabi FC. Great team but it's been built with unlimited money. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...