You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Davies

Megadrive Man

• 1 year later...

Probably should put this in the amnesty thread, but I thought he was going to be decent for us and do a solid job as back up.

In the end he was behind every centre midfielder, plus Phillips, Kabak and Rhys Williams. Klopp would have probably played himself centre half before turning to this lad.

• Upvote 2

Still not convinced he exists. 

Wasn't he supposedly playing in League One or the Championship and yet Rhys, four stone wet through, who was playing in the Curly Wurly league, was starting ahead of him. 

Frankly, I believe the club has been the victim of an epic swindle. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He couldn't even nail down a place at sheff United last season. Let's hope we sell him this year as we could end up with a karius type of situation with him. 

Was with them for 44 of their 46 games.....

Only made 31 of their squads - was left out altogether 13 times.

Squad: 31, Starting eleven: 21, Substituted in: 1, On the bench: 9, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

As a club who have got it so largely right when it comes to transfers over last few years it really was a baffling deal.

Hard to see why it was done and what the idea behind it was.

It's hard to know when you know he was behind Williams. My only guess is we knew so little about him, it was just a complete random roll of the dice funded by the compo we got from the FA for the injury to Gomez. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's hard to know when you know he was behind Williams. My only guess is we knew so little about him, it was just a complete random roll of the dice funded by the compo we got from the FA for the injury to Gomez. 

Certainly a weird one.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd say it was more that we knew so much so specifically about him. They so wanted a CB who could play Virgil's left-to-right long diagonal balls from deep that they became hypnotised by the footage the analytics people dug up. That was his most notable quality.

I remember Mark Lawrenson commented on the signing at the time. He had seen him play a number of times for Preston and had no idea why we were in for him as he was nowhere near good enough.

It was quite telling that before joining us Celtic were the biggest club that were interested in him. Very weird signing.

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I remember Mark Lawrenson commented on the signing at the time. He had seen him play a number of times for Preston and had no idea why we were in for him as he was nowhere near good enough.

It was quite telling that before joining us Celtic were the biggest club that were interested in him. Very weird signing.

Yeah, I remember that with lawro. He laughed when asked if he was good enough.