You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ben Davies

Megadrive Man

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No one really expected him to play did they? He is a Championshi0p level player on his best day.

Makes you wonder Why signee him then? I thought he’d be low on the list but would get at least a couple of games to see how he did. At the moment it just seems like a waste of money especially as we had kabak in too. 

2 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Makes you wonder Why signee him then? I thought he’d be low on the list but would get at least a couple of games to see how he did. At the moment it just seems like a waste of money especially as we had kabak in too. 

I think we took a flyer. If he came in and was really impressive he would have got a run. Don't think he has been impressive in training so no reason to see him play.

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No one really expected him to play did they? He is a Championshi0p level player on his best day.

So is Nat Phillips. Or at least that's how everyone (literally everyone, probably including Nat himself) saw it until he started playing and showed he could do a job.

There isn't that much difference between the Championship and Premier League anyway. By that I mean there are currently loads of players in the Championship that have played in the PL and done ok. If Davies was one of the best defenders in the Championship (which seemed to be the general concensus) then he can definitely play at PL level.

Not saying he'd be good enough to hold down a regular place for us by any means, but I can't accept that he's some bum who we can't afford to put in because he'll get destroyed. There's no way Rhys Williams is currently a better option than him. Not a chance. Rhys is still a kid, Davies has played 250 odd games in the football league.

I find it utterly bizarre that we haven't seen him on the pitch.

• Upvote 11

Totally agree. Has to be one of the weirdest signings we’ve ever done. I think it’s been well proven that we need Fabinho in midfield and pretty much anyone else in currently alongside Kabak. I expected Davies to be given a chance at some point as I thought he was preferable to Williams and been brought in for that reason.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think Davies just isnt attaining the level of fitness our sports science department and Jurgen want. Some players struggle to step up to the level of fitness required in the Premier League. I think he's one of them. Could be wrong and it's something else though.

If he played any other position then I could buy into that. Centre backs don't exactly have to run much though, do they?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Klopp, mentioned at one point that we were running out of centerbacks for the match prep training.  Could have been because of that?!?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I think Davies just isnt attaining the level of fitness our sports science department and Jurgen want. Some players struggle to step up to the level of fitness required in the Premier League. I think he's one of them. Could be wrong and it's something else though.

Maybe he's making Mane and Firmino look like superstars in training 

• Upvote 1

Maybe Davies is just not seen as a good fit for Kabak and the pair are not physically imposing enough. Kabak-Phillips worked good enough to allow Fabinho back into midfield and every game they played together was seen as improving their partnership, so Davies didn't get a look in. Maybe if Kabak was injured he would have been deemed good enough to risk with a partner commanding in the air but the Kabak-Davies partnership looked lacking in height against Leeds and Newcastle.

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He must be a proper lard arse not to be given even a sniff given our recent performances