You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG Fucking Out

Fowlers God

I love this idea of 'Hey Jurgen, come manage us. We know you want to!' has any semblance of reality to it.

Yes, I think Jurgen would have fancied managing Liverpool at some point in his career. Im not so convinced he'd walk over hot coals at the time it was offerred given we were what, 8th, had a pretty dispirited squad, lost our talisman player and what with FSG not being the best owners out there.

So yes, I do think there was a lot of negotiation and persuasion to coax him into dropping his self imposed sabatical which he seemed to be enjoying with his family at the time.

And he'd already turned FSG down when he was managing at Dortmund so not sure the singular cachet of managing Liverpool was his bee all and end all.

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Was Klopp one of the best managers in the world at the time? I'm not sure about that. He was good for achieving what he did in Germany, great even but he left under a bit of a cloud. That decision could easily have gone South. 

Any managerial decision could easily go south. That’s the nature of the game. 

Of course he was one of the best managers in the world. He was then and he is now. He could have had his pick of any job he wanted if he’d been prepared to wait for it to become available, bar Man City who were already set on Guardiola. Bayern would have loved him to replace Pep, every other English team, the big two in Spain and so on. In many ways we got lucky with the timing and the fact that he’s an old school football romantic who liked the challenge. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Any managerial decision could easily go south. That’s the nature of the game. 

Of course he was one of the best managers in the world. He was then and he is now. He could have had his pick of any job he wanted if he’d been prepared to wait for it to become available, bar Man City who were already set on Guardiola. Bayern would have loved him to replace Pep, every other English team, the big two in Spain and so on. In many ways we got lucky with the timing and the fact that he’s an old school football romantic who liked the challenge. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that to be considered one of the best managers in the world takes time and experience. At one point Mourinho was one of the best managers in the world. It's not one decision that has gone South with him, something has happened which has turned him sour. He has one system and cannot seem to adapt from it. Keegan took City from the gallows of the league. He couldn't replicate that on a consistent basis.

Liverpool were all over the place when he joined. He has made Liverpool great again through principles, discipline and having a great team with him. As a result right now he is rightly regarded as one of the best managers in the world. I'm not convinced he was back then as there were two clubs he'd performed at. That's not enough to be considered one of the great managers. Now he has three clubs, yes. If he does move on and does it again, he will show consistency that other managers haven't.

The only trait that has threatened that is stubbornness to adapt when his best players are not available. Changing the formation against West Ham was a breath of fresh air, that's a great example of adapting a system to the players rather than adapting the players to a system. Add that to his locker on a consistent basis and he will be peerless.

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I love this idea of 'Hey Jurgen, come manage us. We know you want to!' has any semblance of reality to it.

Yes, I think Jurgen would have fancied managing Liverpool at some point in his career. Im not so convinced he'd walk over hot coals at the time it was offerred given we were what, 8th, had a pretty dispirited squad, lost our talisman player and what with FSG not being the best owners out there.

So yes, I do think there was a lot of negotiation and persuasion to coax him into dropping his self imposed sabatical which he seemed to be enjoying with his family at the time.

And he'd already turned FSG down when he was managing at Dortmund so not sure the singular cachet of managing Liverpool was his bee all and end all.

Yes, you're not sure.  And nor am I.  We're all speculating.

Which means perhaps there's just as good a chance that he was somehow excited by the prospect of managing Liverpool as much as he was expertly coaxed and cajoled to do so.

I am pretty sure he didn't walk over hot coals to get here at the time.

And I suspect the walk ended at the end of a piece of paper with a large monetary figure listed on it that he signed.

I doubt they "sold to buy" in the case of Rodgers to Klopp.

2 hours ago, skaro said:

Yes, you're not sure.  And nor am I.  We're all speculating.

Which means perhaps there's just as good a chance that he was somehow excited by the prospect of managing Liverpool as much as he was expertly coaxed and cajoled to do so.

I am pretty sure he didn't walk over hot coals to get here at the time.

And I suspect the walk ended at the end of a piece of paper with a large monetary figure listed on it that he signed.

I doubt they "sold to buy" in the case of Rodgers to Klopp.

Where have I said there wasnt a good chance he was excited about the opportunity? Where I disagree with you is this assumption of yours that the owners didnt have to negotiate and persuade him to end his sabatical and take the job.

Do you think Jurgen would have taken the job if the two cowboys still owned the club? I dont, no matter how excited he may have been. There's reasons he turned down the glasers and not FSG.

There's a saying, cant see the wood for the trees. Very apt.

12 hours ago, skaro said:

Or Klopp might have wanted the challenge and cachet of managing Liverpool, and it didn't have too much to do with masterstrokes or tactics or persuasion.

This is what I said.  The "or" and the "might" denotes that what follows is speculation and possibility, rather than assumption.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Where have I said there wasnt a good chance he was excited about the opportunity? Where I disagree with you is this assumption of yours that the owners didnt have to negotiate and persuade him to end his sabatical and take the job.

You didn't say there wasn't a good chance he was excited.

And I didn't assume there wasn't negotiation and persuasion.

I just suggested it MIGHT have been more the former than the latter.

No wood nor trees.

Just me saying what I think might have happened and you saying what you think might have happened... along the lines of each of our "biases" for/against FSG.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, skaro said:

This is what I said.  The "or" and the "might" denotes that what follows is speculation and possibility, rather than assumption.

You didn't say there wasn't a good chance he was excited.

And I didn't assume there wasn't negotiation and persuasion.

I just suggested it MIGHT have been more the former than the latter.

No wood nor trees.

Just me saying what I think might have happened and you saying what you think might have happened... along the lines of each of our "biases" for/against FSG.

Where you are going wrong is you are not saying in a condescending I am 100% right type way.

Maybe add a little phrase at the end to show how clever you think you are.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2021 at 20:27, niallers said:

If fowler is god,who's god is gods god? 

There is but one God, no others should be looked upon or revered, for the one true God is God alone, and there is nothing above the one true God.

Robbie 09:1:1 

Or words to that effect.

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Record breaking revenue and £76 million profit in the next set of accounts is being rumoured. Fucm them the fucking cunts 

it's absolutely obvious we will have record breaking turnover. since the last "full" season, everything has gone up - sponsorships, tv revenues and we hit another CL final. we turned over almost 500m last season without a fan in the ground, a low point tally 3rd place finish, early knockout exit from the CL and no credible domestic cup runs. We probably turned over £100m last year from match day revenues and our nike deal shouldn't have been hampered by the covid supply chain issue it was the year before in a reduced length season (in terms of how long they had to sell kits). I would be amazed if we haven't turned over £650m in 21/22. 

However, it would be really early if those figures were released now. Don't we usually release them around feb? They get 9 months from year end (30th June). 

46 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Record breaking revenue and £76 million profit in the next set of accounts is being rumoured. Fucm them the fucking cunts 

Would love to know what the long term plan is with them. 

The success was driven off a sell to buy model and now, unless they decide to sell off a Trent or Alisson, they don't really have that option.

With the level of money the other clubs are spending are we heading towards a sale? Maybe to Redbird?

We have seen how much investors were prepared to pay for Chelsea and that was with over £1bn in debt and a fan base that is nowhere near ours 

I am struggling to see, even if their target each year is only CL status, how that doesn't get much harder from here on in. City will spend, Newcastle are a coming force, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd are splashing the cash. 

Our spine was built 4 yrs ago and was soo good it has kept us going. Spending the small net amounts we are doing is already catching up with us big time, where do they go from here?

Surely their intention is to buy cheap and sell high. If we start to struggle for top 4 and need a shed load of investment that all reduces the asset value. Arguably it's a good time to move on? Yes they could wait for the Anfield Road to be finished but how much does that add compare to the level of investment soon needed in the team? 

I thought we may see movement after the failed ESL. JWH was supposedly one of the lead players. Now that has failed what's their next move? Are the TV monies going up again? I cannot see what advantage they will gain by sticking around now if they are not going to invest properly. 

I think the original plan was to sell us after the ESL plan came to fruition; it would have increased our value without FSG having to do anything, just like when people sell land after planning permission has been granted but before stuff has actually been built.

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The success was driven off a sell to buy model and now, unless they decide to sell off a Trent or Alisson, they don't really have that option.

With the level of money the other clubs are spending are we heading towards a sale? Maybe to Redbird?

We have seen how much investors were prepared to pay for Chelsea and that was with over £1bn in debt and a fan base that is nowhere near ours 

I am struggling to see, even if their target each year is only CL status, how that doesn't get much harder from here on in. City will spend, Newcastle are a coming force, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd are splashing the cash. 

Our spine was built 4 yrs ago and was soo good it has kept us going. Spending the small net amounts we are doing is already catching up with us big time, where do they go from here?

Surely their intention is to buy cheap and sell high. If we start to struggle for top 4 and need a shed load of investment that all reduces the asset value. Arguably it's a good time to move on? Yes they could wait for the Anfield Road to be finished but how much does that add compare to the level of investment soon needed in the team? 

I thought we may see movement after the failed ESL. JWH was supposedly one of the lead players. Now that has failed what's their next move? Are the TV monies going up again? I cannot see what advantage they will gain by sticking around now if they are not going to invest properly. 

The next step will be putting the 8 games or so per season that aren't on sky or bt on some type of ppv. 

Then wait for what's next if the European ruling on the ESL goes their way..they won't do something immediately, but it will happen if uefas monopoly status is removed. 

6 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The only chance they had was building a dynasty while Klopp was here. We could have dined out on it for years like the mancs have. But no they have royally fucked it, stupid yank cunts

• Downvote 1