You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Jan 23-29 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Saturday Jan 23:

Danny Ings is stalling on a new contract because he wants to play for a CL club. I'd love him back here but it won't happen because we don't have luxury of spending that kind of money on another forward (in the same age bracket as our current front three) when we have other holes to fill more pressingly. I don't really see where he could go though other than Spurs, and they aren't a Champions League club. Maybe Leicester could use him to play alongside and to rotate with Vardy? I think he'll stay put though.

There’s still talk that Sepp Van den Berg will leave on loan. Jesus, how shit must he be for this to even be a consideration right now? I know he’s behind Phillips and Williams, but we might still need him. Billy Koumetio is also ahead of him although I can’t fathom that one. That kid looked in waaaaaaay over his head in that CL dead rubber he played in. 

Long term Koumetio is a better prospect but VDB wasn’t THAT bad when he played in the cups last season. Ok, he kind of was to begin with but he did get better and he at least has a little bit of experience of first team footy in Holland plus the cup games last year. I don’t want to see him playing at any point before the season is out but I wouldn’t be allowing him to go anywhere as we might need him at some point.

Christ, it’s depressing that it’s come that. And so needless too. Just fucking sign someone as a temporary fix. It can’t be that hard finding someone who is a better option right now than Williams, Koumetio and Van den Berg. Make no mistake, we’re one more injury away from needing to call upon them in games, because even if we have two or three from Hendo, Matip, Fabinho and Phillips to choose from they can’t play every game so we’re going to need to rotate. 

Sunday Jan 24:

Man Utd 3 L 2. See, look at that. Williams had to play today in a game he’s not ready for and look what happened. This is the risk we’re running. No Hendo and no Matip, so Klopp has to pick Williams. There’ll be other games when we’re missing Matip and in some of those we might also be without Hendo or Fabinho. What happens then? How long before Phillips and Williams are playing together and Koumetio is on the bench? Fucking sign someone, you pricks.

Result aside there was at least some things to be encouraged about. We scored goals, so that’s a big improvement. We had spells in this game when we looked like our old selves and we definitely didn’t deserve to lose the game. Doesn’t matter though, we didn’t deserve to lose against Burnley or Southampton either. Shit happens, especially when you defend like this and you’re also playing against the officials as well as the opponent. The amount of soft free-kicks given to United today was galling, as was the time wasting they were allowed to get away with. Par for the course this season though.

Losing to these is never nice and I wanted the win today to knock them down a peg or two and to get ourselves back on track. Staying in the cup wasn’t even a secondary consideration because I’m honestly not arsed. I have no interest in it whatsoever. It no longer has any worth or value to me and given how stretched our squad is I can spin this as a positive because it means less games and less chance of players getting injured. 

I know some of the more traditionalist among you will see that as heresy and that a trophy is a trophy, but what can I say, it’s how I feel. Under different circumstances maybe I’d want to see us have a right good go at the FA Cup, but currently it can fuck off because I don’t want to lose any more defenders.

Meanwhile, Everton won their cup tie and at full time they played that song about “singing the Blues, when Everton win and Liverpool lose”. Imagine being that sad and obsessed. Shit like this doesn’t upset me anymore though. I couldn’t give a fuck what they do as they just aren’t important enough to get wound up by. I do think it’s proper cringeworthy though. 

It’s like when you’d get some fans on the Kop singing about the mancs when we weren’t playing them, and they’d just get shouted down by everyone else. Only with Everton there’s never anyone shouting it down because they’re all the same. Their entire lives seem to be measured against what we are doing.

Concentrate on yourselves and enjoy when you’re doing well because you are doing well, it doesn’t matter what we’re doing you bitter, obsessed, fucking losers.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, grazywalker said:

singing the Blues, when Everton win and Liverpool lose”. Imagine being that sad and obsessed. Shit like this doesn’t upset me anymore

I just commented to my Blue friends about their "Originals since 18?? banner. It is an obsession with us.

I don't even know what that is?

They have a banner next to The People Club one. It state "Originals since 1853 or whatever. Obvious references to the fact they were here before Liverpool. 

Everton mates even confirmed it was to highlight he point to the world Everton were here before Liverpool.

I also love the fact spell check has picked up the fact it does not recognize Everton as a word and asked me to check it. 

They're not "originals" though.The incorporated legal entity of  Liverpool FC was called Everton until it changed its name in 1892. They didn't legally exist till we evicted them but they somehow managed to persuade the FA that they should own the first League title whereas in truth they stole that along with our turnstiles. They're not even the first club to be called Everton. 

• Upvote 2

Makes it all the more fucking galling that Gini hasn’t been extended.

Read something today that he has played in 199 of the 214 premier league/champions league games since he arrived at the club and only been unavailable for 5 of them. Its understandable when clubs are hesitant to give over 30s extended contracts but the man is a machine in a squad of man-made biscuits or biscuit-made men. Anyway, give him what he wants.  

• Upvote 5

I knew United were gonna have a bad result eventually after which their fans would start complaining, because that club is just so predictable.

The Gini situation is bringing the conversation around club loyalty into the light here, Gini is one of our most loyal players who has sacrificed his natural playing style and a higher salary with no complaints at all and now that he wants that same loyalty returned to him with a new contract the club is not playing ball. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because if in the middle of his contract Gini started agitating for a move or downing tools until he got a new contract we would have been subjected to a discourse around club loyalty.

This kind of shows other players that there is no point in staying loyal because clubs will more than likely not return the favor.

• Upvote 2

On 31/01/2021 at 07:23, Mikhail said:

I knew United were gonna have a bad result eventually after which their fans would start complaining, because that club is just so predictable.

The Gini situation is bringing the conversation around club loyalty into the light here, Gini is one of our most loyal players who has sacrificed his natural playing style and a higher salary with no complaints at all and now that he wants that same loyalty returned to him with a new contract the club is not playing ball. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth because if in the middle of his contract Gini started agitating for a move or downing tools until he got a new contract we would have been subjected to a discourse around club loyalty.

This kind of shows other players that there is no point in staying loyal because clubs will more than likely not return the favor.

I feel exactly the same way mate. It's an overlooked point.

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 30/01/2021 at 23:23, Razoray said:

Makes it all the more fucking galling that Gini hasn’t been extended.

Read something today that he has played in 199 of the 214 premier league/champions league games since he arrived at the club and only been unavailable for 5 of them. Its understandable when clubs are hesitant to give over 30s extended contracts but the man is a machine in a squad of man-made biscuits or biscuit-made men. Anyway, give him what he wants.  

Really top biscuit analysis!!

Joshing aside - show Gini the money!!