You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kept men

Section_31

Anybody know one or lucky enough to be one? It's fascinating.

I know one guy, retired now, he was extremely low paid but had a pretty cool job (photographer), but his Mrs was minted as she was really high up in the legal profession. They used to have Harleys and all sorts but she'd paid for it all. He always had expensive watches.

What was interesting though is that he was probably the biggest snob I've ever met, she wasn't, but he was. Like if your watch strap didn't cost four grand he'd have this smirk on his face, yet she'd bought it for him.

He'd buy her expensive bespoke jewellery but it was out of the joint account, which didn't make sense to me. Yet he'd be horrified if he found out you'd bought your Mrs something from a high street jeweller - even though it was with your own cash.

Me and the Mrs watch this programme called Rich House Poor House. Basically a low paid family and wealthy family swap houses for a week. Interestingly, the rich blokes (it's usually the bloke) always seem dead down to earth, like they'll buzz off the fact the poor family's dad is doing two jobs or working nights or whatever to support his family. There's only ever been one absolute gobshite rich dad on the show that I've seen and he's a kept man. She makes the money (diet plans or something shit) and he's like  "we only shop at Waitrose", and takes the piss out of shop staff, making out that they're thick, even though he's a kept bum.

My mate and his Mrs have been teaching abroad for about 18 years, he rarely if ever manages to hold down his job (don't think he's very good at it) and he's essentially just been a house husband. Doesn't bother him, he's not turned into an arse (as they're not rich) but reckons all the other wives' fellas give him grief for it when they're pissed. 

My old boss had one of those. She was/is a Director at a Global Financial Services Company. Six figure salary, big bonus and all sorts of other shit. 

Her husband was apparently looking after their child but said child was around thirteen at the time, probably sixteen now. 

I got invited to their house once, massive farmhouse somewhere outside York. He told me off for cutting cheese on my plate and not on the cheeseboard. If I didn’t already hate him up to that point, I certainly did after it.

Later the same evening I pissed all over their bathroom floor. It was accidental, at least I think it was. 

• Upvote 1

When MrsD and I first moved in together she earned more than I did.  We'd use my wage for the bills and hers for disposable income.  We've never been one of those, "I paid for this!" couples.  I've known couples in the past argue over who gets the shopping in, and a lad I know's ex used to pin receipts on the fridge to let him know what he owed her (exactly 50%). Now we earn about the same and we have the same attitude. We used to live like fucking kings back then.  She got paid mid-month and I got paid at the end. Always out, fine dining, trips away, denied ourselves nothing, no kid, only one car, renting houses with no additional fixing costs.  Halcyon days. 

• Upvote 5

I'm not sure exactly if I fall into this category.

I was on good money before I had to retire 21 years ago at the age of 36.

Luckily, I had been in the company pension fund long enough to qualify for a pension that was ok at the time, but not so much now.

My missus is a school caretaker, been at the same school since 1992 but is only in for 2 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon and her wage has overtaken my pension now so thinking about it, maybe I am.

Having said that, who brings in the most money has never been an issue.

We have a joint bank account, the house is in both our names, everything is shared and that's the way it should be.

Otherwise, what's the point.

I'm getting there. My wife is training to be a headteacher so I'm thinking of dropping some days at work if she gets a headship to "look after the house, garden and dog".*

*Fucking about at home, perfecting my coffee making technique, making sourdough and arguing with the dog over the best spot in the sofa.

• Upvote 10

53 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I'm getting there. My wife is training to be a headteacher so I'm thinking of dropping some days at work if she gets a headship to "look after the house, garden and dog".*

*Fucking about at home, perfecting my coffee making technique, making sourdough and arguing with the dog over the best spot in the sofa.

Ha! 

My Mrs has earned probably twice my wage at times but she's not rich. If I want a watch I'll buy something under 300 quid, but I'll buy it myself. The bloke I spoke about in the initial post would let his wife buy him a Rolex, but go around taking the piss out of other people's watches.

My Mrs earns more than me because she's bloody good at her job. We're not loaded by any means, but we do both earn above average. Money is never an issue because we don't let it be. Sometimes she'll buy stuff, sometimes I will, but we never keep track of who's buying what or insist on splitting everything down the middle. She contributes slightly more to the joint account (for bills and the like) because she earns more and insists that’s the fair thing to do.

We're on pretty much the same page, we contribute equally to the joint account and then whatever we both have left after that is our own. We're not rich but fortunate, neither of us want for anything, we have some disposable income and money is rarely an area of disagreement. She buys shit and clothes than she doesn't need, I buy board games and coffee beans, whatever.

I'm a meticulous financial planner and pretty risk averse but it's stood us well in 10 years of living together, I know where we are and should be at each month.

• Upvote 1

My missus earned more than me for years, never bothered me.  She now works reduced hours but if she worked full time it would be close on salary but I get a bonus. When she reduced her hours again recently I mooted the idea of me reducing my hours a bit instead.  Didn’t get much support for that idea to be honest.  

I know a woman who’s splitting her career with her husband, he left the navy after 25 years and couldn’t get a job so they decided he’d stay at home with the kids until they were both old enough for school and then she’d take a break to allow him to start a career. She’s earned about £5m though and the daft bastard husband is still thinking about work.  Fuck that. 

• Upvote 1

I actually wouldn’t mind being a kept husband it’s kind of my dream not to have to work the corporate rat race. 

My missus recently retrained as nutritional therapist and has recently started her business. Ideally that picks up and we can look at me going part time as a starting point.

if we had kids I’d have no issue with being a stay at home dad. I couldn’t give a toss what others think as there still seems to be people who look down blokes in that situation. we’re doing ok, we could be very comfortable if we worked our bollocks off on our careers but what is the point in that? Life is meant to be enjoyed and lived.

Edit: I had a nice childhood and never really went without (didn’t have expensive branded clothes or consoles or holidays) but my parents worked their asses off and now feel they missed too much on us growing up by working so try and make up for it with my nieces and nephews. I don’t want that if I have kids. I want to be there for as much as possible.

• Upvote 2

When I first moved down here (2006) it was on a de facto spouse visa and as part of the paperwork my missus had to commit to support me so I wouldn’t be a drain on the long-suffering Australian tax payer. 

It also meant we set up a joint bank account from then as proof.

My missus always earned more than me until about 5 years ago when she got fed up of the corporate consulting lark and went to work for a mental health charity. Probably only another 5 years to go and I’ll be back even.

Nearly bankrupt me when I first started going out with her though and I tried to keep up with her lifestyle. How do kept men get their start? 

• 3 months later...