You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham 1 Liverpool 3 (Jan 28 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Oh we needed that didn't we? Not just the points, but the performance. The statement. Klopp summed it up afterwards when he said "the boys showed who we really are". This was the team that ran away with the league last year. The team everyone is terrified of. Spurs just looked completely overawed and outmatched.

Yet despite how comfortable it was I couldn't enjoy it until it was over. It was an emotional roller coaster and I couldn’t relax until probably two or three minutes into the allotted five minutes of stoppage time at the end. Only then did I feel completely safe. Not so much from Spurs, as they didn’t worry me much all night. The threat was from Martin Atkinson and VAR, but when we reached the closing minutes the game was beyond them. 

What a turbulent night though. It was just one thing after another, highs and lows, joy and frustration. Injustice and misfortune. And it started about one minute into the game when Sadio missed an absolutely fucking sitter. That was hard to take in light of the recent goal drought. I was fuming to be honest as it was just a terrible attempt. It was hesitant though and he clearly overthought it, which is what happens in bad runs like this. Normally he just buries that without even thinking.

So that already had my stress levels up and the game had barely even started. Seconds later it got much worse as Son was putting the ball in the net at the there end. I didn’t see the initial offside as I was still dwelling on Sadio’s miss and wasn’t even watching the TV. I looked up and saw Son running clear, so a VAR check wasn’t even on my radar initially. I thought we’d gone a goal down because of Sadio’s fucking awful miss, and I wasn’t taking that very well.

Then there was the glimmer of hope when they said there was a VAR check. I saw the replay and it was obviously close. So initially I’m fearing the worst as from what I can recall every close one of those has gone against us other than one at Chelsea last season. There might have been one more too, but as a general rule when it’s close they find a way to make it go against us. 

When they started drawing the lines it was obvious that it was going to be offside because it was about 6-8 inches off, which is too big a gap for them to ‘fudge it’ as we’ve seen them do before. By that I mean when it’s anything from six inches or under, they can manipulate it however they want. They’ll start the line higher up on the defenders shoulder or further back on the attackers foot etc

On the really close offsides it comes down to whatever the VAR wants to make it look like. I’m 100% convinced about that because we’ve seen it, specifically on the two ones at Goodison that went against us. Honestly, it’s fucking easy for the to do it. You move one line a couple of inches past the cut off point on a player’s arm, and the other one goes a couple of inches to the wrong side of a toe and Bonb’s yer uncle.

So I’m thankful that Son was far enough offside that they had absolutely no choice but to disallow it, because we’ll never know the damage that goal may have done to us. I said before the game that the one thing we have to do is score first, because Spurs can’t chase a game but they can protect a lead and counter attack as well as anyone. That’s what Mourinho lives for.

So that goal being ruled out was huge, especially going so soon after we squandered such a great chance. But what VAR giveth it also taketh away, or something. The goal we had ruled out n the second half was fucking outrageous I thought, and I was convinced we would go on to lose the game because of it. Thankfully we didn’t because the lads didn’t let it affect them the way I let it affect me. I’ll get to that later though.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Spot on Dave. I agree Milner was MOTM, he was massive. Funny I was thinking exactly the same about Thiago's tackling, a bit reckless at times. I felt exactly the same about their goal but didn't take it out on the fridge, mind you my daughter did ask to refrain from the bad language!!!!

• Upvote 1

re our disallowed goal and the awarding of free kick to spurs, if they had scored from it, would it have gone back to var and been disallowed because dier had handled it whilst fouling bobby, no, not a fuckin chance, var was brought in to help the officials but all its done is made things more confusing, and like you dave i dont celebrate goals anymore in case var kills my enjoyment , i'd love them to get rid of it but there's no chance of that 

• Upvote 2

Know what you mean about always being on the edge through the game. I feared the worse when they disallowed Mo's goal. It just baffles me how they always look for a reason to rule out a goal yet ignore the clear and obvious foul by Dier not to mention the ball hitting his hand. FIFA want more goals in games but Mike Riley and his PGMOL VAR chums seem to go out of their way to disallow them.

I know everyone goes on about the centre back position but I just cannot help feeling whoever we bring in, if they arent as quick as Virgil, people are just going to give them stick.

I mean are the likes of Mustafi and Sokratis better than Rhys and Nat? Yeah, more experience but I thought Arsenal couldnt wait to get rid of them? Quality centre backs to play in our high back line are like hens teeth and Im far from convinced they'd work out any better.

• Upvote 3

I've been saying it for months and look like a twat for it but the below refs are bent big time and need their hard drives checked. 

Atkinson 

Moss 

Coote

Friend

Marriner

Taylor

We've got Moss up next against West Ham which isn't great. Pawson on VAR. He isn't as bad as the others. 

Awful that football has been reduced to fretting about refs. It's why we need to score more from distance to give the corrupt cunts nothing to even try fix the game with. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Baresi said:

You’re remembering the wolves Var decision which went our way, last season. 

Yeah, another one like Chelsea when a player out wide was given off by a heel. That decision doesn't go our way this year, I'm sure of that. They'd move those lines a bit one way, a bit th other and before you know it you've got a Sadio at Goodison scenario.

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've been saying it for months and look like a twat for it but the below refs are bent big time and need their hard drives checked. 

Atkinson 

Moss 

Coote

Friend

Marriner

Taylor

You forgot Tierney, the dodgy fuck who blew up six seconds early because Sadio was through.

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

Hendo & Phillips against Antonio & Soucek ..biggest test of the season.If we show the same urgency we'll win ...anything less and we are fucked

Soucek is a defensive midfielder. I know he scores loads, but that's fro set-pieces. Their other forwards are the lad they just got signed from Brentford, Benrahmi or something, and Bowen.

Antonio against big Nat might get ugly though. He's hard for anyone to deal with, but if he gets in a sprint with Nat then forget about it.

Brilliant. The kind of performance we've been spoiled with for the last few years. Hopefully as you say, that's the corner turned.

At last a report to do about a great win and we've still been stiffed by officials. What in the fuck is happening here?

Milner, what a player. That one near the end when he was flinging himself into everything and ended up looping the ball into our box. Had me laughing and shouting "nooooo" together!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ralph said:

Great read Dave, agree about Kane being a class cunt. Still unable to accept the Bobby handball, fuckin corrupt, no other explanation. 

Hope your fridge still works. 

I pulled the punch mate. At the last second I bottled it in case I dented the door. It was kind of pathetic in the end if I'm honest.

• dave u unpinned this topic