You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GB News

Sugar Ape

• 3 weeks later...

Its only anecdotal evidence but virtually everyone I've spoken to through work doesn't watch the news anymore. Sick of covid, they will check the odd headline online and thats it. It would be terribly unfortunate if all these lovely souls lost their jobs and investments. 

11 hours ago, No2 said:

Its only anecdotal evidence but virtually everyone I've spoken to through work doesn't watch the news anymore. Sick of covid, they will check the odd headline online and thats it. It would be terribly unfortunate if all these lovely souls lost their jobs and investments. 

It will be all about getting clips of comments by Hartley-Brewer, Neill and Ferrari trending and shared on social media, and gaining influence that way. Most of that sharing will likely to be done by those claiming outrage, when they should be just ignoring the shite.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, No2 said:

I think many have come to realise that news is an industry, peddled to make cash at your expense. It sucks you in and aims to keep you sucked in, largely by making you angry. And people can see that every news service in the entire world has an angle, whether it be private or state provided, which seeks to manipulate its consumers.

Life is much calmer and simpler if you keep abreast of headlines and events, are aware of the bias in the reporting, and avoid getting stuck in the mire.

• 3 weeks later...

All gb news will do is make twitter even worse than it already is, It's designed to be broken up into social media nuggets like those shite radio stations.

Ordinary folks aren't gonna watch it IMO, you won't get our version or trump fans knocking back cans of special brew watching an Andrew Neil snowflake special.

All you'll get is Hartley brewer saying stuff like 'fat people should be gassed", ths  will then be clipped on twitter, dianne abbot will call it outrageous, Guido fawkes will say it's fair game, and each respective rival faction will pile on.

It'll be tremendous achievement, up there with the library of Alexandria, Voyager II , a Pot Noodles.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

All gb news will do is make twitter even worse than it already is, It's designed to be broken up into social media nuggets like those shite radio stations.

Ordinary folks aren't gonna watch it IMO, you won't get our version or trump fans knocking back cans of special brew watching an Andrew Neil snowflake special.

All you'll get is Hartley brewer saying stuff like 'fat people should be gassed", ths  will then be clipped on twitter, dianne abbot will call it outrageous, Guido fawkes will say it's fair game, and each respective rival faction will pile on.

It'll be tremendous achievement, up there with the library of Alexandria, Voyager II , a Pot Noodles.

Pot Noodles are useful everyday items.

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The fact you've had to ask if its real shows just how bad its gotten with them cunts 

Shame, living in southern England I am sick of the lack of programmimg aimed at this region. The David Starkey programme would have provided some much needed coverage for this oft-neglected region of the UK.

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Shame, living in southern England I am sick of the lack of programmimg aimed at this region. The David Starkey programme would have provided some much needed coverage for this oft-neglected region of the UK.

Must be a nightmare trying to practice your English down there!!!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Stickman said:

BBC’s Simon Mc Coy is joint Gammon Bioy News now ....

ExU6gdrXIAMML_y?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bit of a career change from when he used to be in the Bill as PC Tony Stamp 

92EAF251-A200-00D9-A410C7E2C885FA69.jpg

Ol' Simon has been shacked up with Emma Samms who used to be in one of those American glamour soaps. Punched above his weight, literally there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8630419/British-Dynasty-star-Emma-Samms-59-tells-six-month-Long-Covid-hell.html

• 2 months later...

Unsurprisingly it sounds like complete shite.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/13/gb-news-review-andrew-neils-alternative-bbc-utterly-deadly-stuff

GB News review – Andrew Neil’s alternative BBC? Utterly deadly stuff
The ‘anti-woke’ news channel had Andrew Neil and Alan Sugar, but no Piers Morgan – and the opening night felt like the furthest thing from appointment TV imaginable. I give it a year

“Now is the time to do news differently,” said Andrew Neil as GB News went live on Sunday night. “We are committed to covering the people’s agenda, not the media’s agenda.” Not in the first hour you weren’t. Instead, Neil spent it introducing his new colleagues while – be still irony – indicting the woke numpties from traditional news channels stuck in the narcissistic Westminster bubble. There may have been news breaking during the hour (indeed it was scrolling on a ticker at the bottom of the screen) but it went unreported.

No matter. First up was Neil Oliver, former BBC archaeology presenter turned GB News current affairs presenter, whom Neil introduced as the King of Scotland. An ill-omened title, given that the last title holder was Idi Amin. “I seem to have come to the fore with opinions,” he told Andrew Neil. “People talk to me all the time. They come up to me when they’re walking the dogs. They no longer feel their voices or voices like theirs are out in the mainstream.” The thing to do, Neil baby, is not to slow down.

When asked which three words would sum up his new employer, Oliver replied “Truth at last”. The implication, of course, was that the British Biased Corporation and Channel 4 Lies – stuffed as they are with macrame weavers so smugly PC they make Owen Jones read like Tommy Robinson – are more out of touch than people like him who have spent the most successful part of their careers having their hair impeccably conditioned at the licence fee payers’ expense. Oliver, it’s worth saying, told the Glasgow Herald last weekend that lockdown was the “biggest single mistake in world history”. To be fair, Oliver had forgotten his new beard.

Other presenters gave their three little words to characterise what GB News might mean. “Good news now,” Becca Hutson told the channel’s website, which fingers crossed means more than airlifting news crews from Syria to Surbiton to get the scoop on the Cute Kitten Rescued from Tree story. “Fresh. Experienced. Challenging,” said Alastair Stewart, ex-ITV news anchor who has been the second and third of those words for many years.

The most resonant definition came from the channel’s economics and business editor, Liam Halligan. “British. Unbiased. Welcoming.” But that creates the kind of philosophical problem that comedian Andrew Doyle, presenter of GB News’s Free Nation Britain, might wish to address in his show. Can a channel that postures as unbiased correct biased coverage without itself becoming biased? Probably not. But the claim to be unbiased is risible. In the second hour, Dan Wootton railed against extending lockdown, urging that Britain should follow Texas, Florida and Sweden instead of becoming a “bio-security state copying China”. Which is not just biased but very, very silly.

Its claim to be unbiased is risible ... GB News.
Its claim to be unbiased is risible ... GB News. Photograph: https://www.gbnews.uk/
After 10pm, Alan Sugar fielded viewer questions from his computer in Chigwell, where, judging from his Zoom backdrop, he has spent lockdown building a super-swagged Bedouin tent in his back garden, God love him. Like an Essex Socrates or Manuel in Fawlty Towers, Lord Sugar had nothing to declare but his ignorance. Asked about the prospect of extending lockdown, he replied: “I have no clue when this thing is coming to an end. I’m no doctor, I’m no scientist and the thing is changing every day and I have no idea.” Thank you for your insights, Lord Sugar! What about taking the knee, asked another? “Where would I take the knee – Sainsbury’s?” Then he told us about his knee op, like some dear old grandad leaning on the garden fence as the long day closes and you wish you were somewhere else. Did anyone say appointment-to-view TV? No they did not.

It was an utterly deadly segment, apart from when Lord Sugar had a question for one of the channel’s hosts, Apprentice winner Michelle Dewberry. “ I notice there’s been no advertisements yet. How are you going to make your revenue?” Dewberry couldn’t answer this question, because it was time to go to the body language expert. They were going to tell us whether Joe Biden really does like Boris Johnson. Which is certainly doing news differently. Or rather not doing it at all.

Here’s another philosophical question. Can GB News change Britain’s news agenda if no one watches it? The answer, incredibly, is yes. Wired magazine recently reported that GB News will be a success if it has reach rather than ratings. Which means that if it creates a controversy through interviews and reportage, it will create news or the clickbait semblance of it. That certainly would be doing news differently, but I’m not sure GB News yet has the personnel to deliver that business model.

GB News’s biggest problem is that the elephant isn’t in the room. Piers Morgan, the man for whom GB News could have been and perhaps was invented, has not yet been signed up. Nor has another anti-woke tabloid bruiser Nick Ferrari, whom GB News sought to lure from LBC, where the breakfast bulldog is renowned for eviscerating politicians, exposing for instance Diane Abbott’s innumeracy. These are the A-listers GB News needs if it is to produce reach as well as ratings. There’s a danger that it could have neither.

As for reporting the people’s agenda, GB News aims to deliver it by “unmuffling the muffled voices”, as presenter Nana Akua put it. A noble aim, but in practice this policy so far means stories on the channel’s website with such headlines as “Trailblazing Teesside has been ignored for too long”. If this is doing news differently, it is only different in mistaking local puffery for news of national significance. Another story championing the neglected east Midlands was equally fatuous. “East Midlands airport is only second to Heathrow in terms of cargo,” reported Hanisha Sethi. More of that, please!

Forty years ago the Social Democratic party sought to break the mould of British politics. Its so-called gang of four split from the Labour party that they thought had gone too far to the left. GB News is, effectively, TV’s answer to the SDP. The current disgruntled BBC exiles who make up the backbone of GB News – Andrew Neil as Roy Jenkins, Neil Oliver as David Owen and Andrew Doyle as the brains of the operation, ie Shirley Williams – risk having made a terrible misjudgment. This feels akin to the gang of four’s not actually breaking the mould but rather destroying their careers while leaving everything else pretty much as it was. My three words? “A year tops.”

• Upvote 1

I didn't watch it, but from what I can gather it's more op-ed than 'news' in any meaningful sense, with studio lighting making Andrew Neil look like a 2000 year-old beetroot - carefully crafted to connect with the GB News demographic no doubt. 

Probably the takeaways for me (based on what I've heard 2nd hand) are Dan Wooton possibly contravening Ofcom's rules regarding his unchallenged Covid conspiracy piece (certainly contravening Andrew Neil's own claim that GB News wouldn't be entertaining conspiracy theories), and Alan Sugar having a pop at the S*n, Brexit and defending taking the knee. It'll be interesting to see if he's on again. 

The whole point of this is clearly to move the media discourse even further right than it currently is, doesn't matter if it's a loss leader for its backers as they get the returns in a diffuse way through the ballot box and policies on taxation, that also seems to be true of a lot of the print media publications.