You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Actors in movies/TV that you would have recast?

Elite

6 minutes ago, Elite said:

Patrick Swayze being a nonce in Donnie Darko. I'm not critical of his performance but come one, you don't cast one of the coolest blokes that's ever lived as a paedo.

Patrick Swayze was perfect.

He's one of the least cool people I can think of & almost certainly a nonce in real life.

• Upvote 1

Di Caprio in gangs of new York. I think he's a brilliant actor but he just doesn't sell me the tough guy. The same in the departed, he's a top actor but I don't buy it.

Johnny Depp in Black mass, his performance is good I dont see why it was nessecary to try and make him look so much like whitey that he ends up looking like a ghoul.

• Upvote 1

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. 

Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches tall, and weighing over 17 stone.

"He was one of the largest men she had ever seen outside the NFL. He was extremely tall, and extremely broad, and long-armed, and long-legged. The lawn chair was regular size, but it looked tiny under him. It was bent and crushed out of shape. His knuckles were nearly touching the ground. His neck was thick and his hands were the size of dinner plates...A wild man. But not really. Underneath everything else seemed strangely civilized....His gaze was both wise and appealing, both friendly and bleak, both frank and utterly cynical."

A few years ago, in his Jane (Firefly) days, I would have said Adam Baldwin. Now, maybe Dave Bautista.

Reacher doesn't have a great emotional range, so no problem there. He is also never smug (Tom Cruise's default), and never had to stand on a box to get to the biscuit tin.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Di Caprio in gangs of new York. I think he's a brilliant actor but he just doesn't sell me the tough guy. The same in the departed, he's a top actor but I don't buy it.

Johnny Depp in Black mass, his performance is good I dont see why it was nessecary to try and make him look so much like whitey that he ends up looking like a ghoul.

I disagree about The Departed. I think he's ace in it. Winstone aside everybody is perfect in that film and if it wasn't for his accent even Ray would have been fine. 

Chevy Chase was considered for Forrest Gump! If you think the worlds a fucking slaughterhouse now, imagine if that cunt landed that role. 

Julie Hesmondhalgh cast as Hayley Cropper in Corrie. I don't want to open up a can of worms but they really should have used a proper transvestite and not an actual woman. Roy's head must have been up his arse. 

It should have been Hugo Weaving from Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Russ Abbot. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Julie Hesmondhalgh cast as Hayley Cropper in Corrie. I don't want to open up a can of worms but they really should have used a proper transvestite and not an actual woman. Roy's head must have been up his arse. 

It should have been Hugo Weaving from Priscilla Queen of the Desert or Russ Abbot. 

I'd have gone with Les Dawson instead.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

In a similar vein, Daniel Craig in Knives Out.

Nah, he was ace. Helps the subterfuge of the film, gave him a pomposity that could be wrong-footed by simple withheld information which, in turn, meant the audience didn't feel cheated as much as they otherwise may have. Love the way that film drip-fed information through and his ridiculousness was an important part of that mechanism.

Also in a Chris Nolan world it's nice to have films that shriek "it's just a fucking movie" at you loud and clear.

That said, it's a fine line and can see why it might be annoyingly contrived to some. But if I started getting annoyed at it there, I might have to start getting annoyed at Wes Anderson films as well and I'm not having that...

3 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. 

Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches tall, and weighing over 17 stone.

"He was one of the largest men she had ever seen outside the NFL. He was extremely tall, and extremely broad, and long-armed, and long-legged. The lawn chair was regular size, but it looked tiny under him. It was bent and crushed out of shape. His knuckles were nearly touching the ground. His neck was thick and his hands were the size of dinner plates...A wild man. But not really. Underneath everything else seemed strangely civilized....His gaze was both wise and appealing, both friendly and bleak, both frank and utterly cynical."

A few years ago, in his Jane (Firefly) days, I would have said Adam Baldwin. Now, maybe Dave Bautista.

Reacher doesn't have a great emotional range, so no problem there. He is also never smug (Tom Cruise's default), and never had to stand on a box to get to the biscuit tin.

Deffo agree re Tom Cruise but just googled Dave Bautista, fuck no.

I'd go for Joe Manganiello. Tall, right age, solid unit

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Nah, he was ace. Helps the subterfuge of the film, gave him a pomposity that could be wrong-footed by simple withheld information which, in turn, meant the audience didn't feel cheated as much as they otherwise may have. Love the way that film drip-fed information through and his ridiculousness was an important part of that mechanism.

Also in a Chris Nolan world it's nice to have films that shriek "it's just a fucking movie" at you loud and clear.

That said, it's a fine line and can see why it might be annoyingly contrived to some. But if I started getting annoyed at it there, I might have to start getting annoyed at Wes Anderson films as well and I'm not having that...

It was the accent that got me. The rest was fine, and I enjoyed the film. But that accent...